Windows 10: How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?

Discus and support How to restore a "false positive" trojan file? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I have a file that windows defender sees as a thread, it thinks it is a trojan. It has the file in quarantine, and I have a choise to either... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Burgurne, May 22, 2020.

1. Burgurne Win User

How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?

Hello.
    I have a file that windows defender sees as a thread, it thinks it is a trojan. It has the file in quarantine, and I have a choise to either Restore or Delete it.
    I know for sure that the file is NOT a trojan, but I can't get Defender to restore it. I have disabled real-time protecion and all the other settings on that page in settings, but it will not restore the file. When I select "Restore", a blink of HDD-led, and that's it. The file is NOT restored. What to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Got it. I used this method to restore the file to a different path, and it worked:

Use MpCmdRun.exe to recover the quarantined files to a different location. I created an empty folder named "DefenderRecovery" in C:\ and then ran the command "MpCmdRun.exe -Restore -All -Path C:\DefenderRecovery".

:)

Burgurne, May 22, 2020

2. Trojan horse false positive on v0.26 installer?

Odd, but I would say its most likely a false positive. Hardware tools do this because of the nature of what the program does.

Dippyskoodlez, May 22, 2020
  3. JDLinn Win User
    False Positive - Rundas!plick Trojan

We have a small "exe" that we use extensively at "Return to Misty Moorings" This is for our "Season Switcher". When the program is run, the software is quarantined as a Rundas!plick Trojan. There is no Trojan or any other problem with this software, Malwarebytes
    and Spybot both show it does not have a problem. But every time our users try it with Defender, it is "quarantined". This is giving our site and our efforts for our fans a bad name from Microsoft's false positive. The program can be found at:

Return to Misty Moorings - NOTAMS

The "solution" from the Microsoft "help" chat was to "Turn off Windows Defender". That we can do and I can tell my thousands of followers on the site that this is Microsoft's suggestion (not a very good marketing idea). We need someone on the Defenders
    team to get our software "CLEARED" so this does not keep showing up as a Rundas!plick Trojan.

Please tell us who to contact or what needs to be done next.

Doug Linn/RTMM

JDLinn, May 22, 2020
  4. How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?

database of malware producing false positives or false negatives

Many months ago I communicated with Malwarebytes about a trojan that was detected by Defender that was not detected by Malwarebytes. They indicated that Microsoft Defender is likely a false positive and to wait weeks or months for Microsoft to update their
    database. To date the Defender continues to detect a trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

Defender does not detect any malware on quick scans. However on full scans it detects this trojan that is not detected by Malwarebytes.

How does an end user determine whether one antivirus program is producing false positives or false negatives?

questions_, May 22, 2020
Thema:

How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?

1. How to restore a "false positive" trojan file? - Similar Threads - restore &quot false

2. False Positive for Trojan Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    False Positive for Trojan Virus: Can anyone tell me how and where i can submit my website to be re-looked at? Microsoft Defender is blocking my website that was hacked in the past but i have since addressed all those problems and I guess Microsoft Defender is going off of the old information. I need to...
  3. Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10: This problem has been reported many times with previous versions of Windows - and the fix has always been to change the keyboard from US International to US Standard. Brief description of the problem for those not familiar: Pressing a quote - or double quote - does not...
  4. "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error

"Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error: Dear All, Has anyone come across this highly annoying error? Once I am in Settings/Personalisation/Themes page, a few secs after I have entered "Themes" page, I get this annoying ringtone and the error "windows cannot find one of the files in this theme, do you still want to...
  5. "App & browser control" is Off warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "App & browser control" is Off warning: Yesterday I upgraded to v2004 on both my desktop PC and my DELL laptop. In both cases things seemed to go well but I now see a "Windows Security" warning that was not there in the previous version v1909. See picture: - [img] If it was important I reckon Microsoft should...
  6. How to "quote reply" or "block quote" in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to "quote reply" or "block quote" in Windows 10 Mail app: I'm looking for a feature like the one described here for the gmail app: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/50276/how-to-quote-several-parts-of-email-in-gmail. This is especially helpful in the context of addressing multiple questions in a reply email....
  7. "Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement: I've had the Your Phone app running for the last few months on my Windows 10 Pro PC, connecting to my LG V20 phone (Android v8). Last week my motherboard failed, so I replaced it and restored my Windows setup to a new SSD while I was at it. Now the Your Phone app won't...
  8. Quotes in WIndows 10

Quotes in WIndows 10: The problem: when I hit the quote key nothing happens unless I hit it again, then I get two quotes. If I hit quote once and then a vowel, I get an umlaut. This happens in a bunch of different programs including Word, Thunderbird (email), and R Studio. I read previous...
  9. Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes

Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes: Hello, How to deactivate autocorrection of quotes --> smart quotes in program "Mail" ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-deactivate-autocorrection-quotes-smart/931c0d84-8a8b-4807-80b9-842b05b8f6eb
  10. Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders...