Windows 10: How to restore files to a new computer using file history

Discus and support How to restore files to a new computer using file history in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. When we try to restore the files, the new computer says that there is no File History folder on the external drive, even though this folder is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeEyre1, Aug 9, 2020.

1. MikeEyre1 Win User

How to restore files to a new computer using file history

Hi. When we try to restore the files, the new computer says that there is no File History folder on the external drive, even though this folder is visible in File Explorer. It's as though the computer can't recognise the File History folder. We've set up the Administrator Account using the same name and PIN as before. Any help much appreciated.

:)

MikeEyre1, Aug 9, 2020

2. How to restore files from one computer's file history to another computer without changing the file history

Hi Ladd,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

To Restore files from file history, please follow the below steps:

• In Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click
      Search), enter restore your files in the search box, and then tap or click
      Restore your files with File History.

• Enter the name of file you're looking for in the search box, or use the left and right arrows to browse through different versions of your folders and files.

• Select what you want to restore to its original location, and then tap or click the
      Restore button.

If you want to restore your files to a different location than the original, press and hold or right-click the
      Restore button, tap or click Restore To, and then choose a new location.
    Hope this information is helpful, please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    can't restore files to a new laptop using file history.

Hi John,

The path of the drive may differ from the new laptop to the old laptop. It depends on where you plugged in the external hard drive. At this point, we'd like to ask the following to assist you better:

• Was the hard drive before a storage drive only or a main hard drive of a computer?
    • What type of files were you trying to restore?
    • Can you please send screenshots of how you restore your files? Blur any personal information for your security.
    • To avoid repetition, can you provide us with all the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

Erika Aro, Aug 9, 2020
  4. How to restore files to a new computer using file history

Shawn Brink, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

How to restore files to a new computer using file history

1. How to restore files to a new computer using file history - Similar Threads - restore files computer

2. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer: My old Windows 10 computer died, but I do have an external drive with file history backup. When I try to use file history on the new Windows 11 computer the instructions for file history start setting up a new file history backup instead of recovering from an old one. Is...
  3. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer: My old Windows 10 computer died, but I do have an external drive with file history backup. When I try to use file history on the new Windows 11 computer the instructions for file history start setting up a new file history backup instead of recovering from an old one. Is...
  4. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History Restoral on New Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Restoral on New Laptop: I backed up most of my files using File History to a USB drive because sending my laptop off for repairs. After getting it back, I reinstalled windows 11, but File History does not show my backup from Jan 7th.Could someone point me in the right direction on getting my files...
  6. File History Restoral on New Laptop

File History Restoral on New Laptop: I backed up most of my files using File History to a USB drive because sending my laptop off for repairs. After getting it back, I reinstalled windows 11, but File History does not show my backup from Jan 7th.Could someone point me in the right direction on getting my files...
  7. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  8. restore files onto a new computer with file history

restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  9. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History: My Surface suffered a failure and was exchanged for a new one under warranty. I have the File History on an external drive. I want to restore that File History to my new computer. How can I do this? I have read a number of articles and MS Support have sent me links, but...