Windows 10: How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ?

Discus and support How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; With rare exceptions, when I open THIS PC in 32xWin10ProV1909 it shows 'working on it' for a few minutes then THIS PC becomes non-responding. Opening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Mar 26, 2020.

1. How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ?

With rare exceptions, when I open THIS PC in 32xWin10ProV1909 it shows 'working on it' for a few minutes then THIS PC becomes non-responding. Opening e.g. C:\ does NOT result in this impediment.

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Mar 26, 2020
  2. razghost Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Mar 26, 2020
  3. File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 26, 2020
  4. How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ?

Windows 10 File Explorer won't launch.

And here's the solution:

The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

techtrader, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ?

1. How to restore functionality to File Explorer's THIS PC ? - Similar Threads - restore functionality File

2. File Explorer function change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer function change: I frequently copy items from one folder by dragging into the folder address window. If I want to move something to the previous level of folder, I don't have to open another folder but just drag and drop from the folder I'm currently in. This action now gives me a "stop sign"...
  3. File Explorer function change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer function change: I frequently copy items from one folder by dragging into the folder address window. If I want to move something to the previous level of folder, I don't have to open another folder but just drag and drop from the folder I'm currently in. This action now gives me a "stop sign"...
  4. File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window: When in File Explorer, there are certain strings that can be typed into the address bar that will allow you to navigate to said item. For example, typing in "downloads" and pressing enter causes File Explorer to navigate to the Downloads folder. Typing in "documents" and...
  5. File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: Restore functionality for opening shortcuts in the same window: When in File Explorer, there are certain strings that can be typed into the address bar that will allow you to navigate to said item. For example, typing in "downloads" and pressing enter causes File Explorer to navigate to the Downloads folder. Typing in "documents" and...
  6. How to restore left sidebar in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to restore left sidebar in File Explorer?: The left sidebar in File Explorer has been changed accidentally on my PC. I don't know what actions happened. Also, I have tried to return the previous version. Can someone help me in this situation? What I want is to restore the sidebar in File Explorer from the current...
  7. File explorer function not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer function not working: Customer called today about not being able to save attachments from Outlook 2016. Pop up on save saying cannot save. So updated OS to latest build 20h2, updated office 365 and checked updated drivers etc. Still issue. Tried saveas function in word and excel, browse does not...
  8. How to completely restore file explorer appearance.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to completely restore file explorer appearance.: I don't know what I did, but my file explorer now looks completely different than what the default is. Currently it looks like this, I want it to look like this, with the top and left panels both open. Anyone know what I did and how to restore it. +I have Taskbar Tweaker and...
  9. Restore "Devices with Removable Storage" in This PC in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore "Devices with Removable Storage" in This PC in File Explorer: I was thinking: would it be possible to separate the "Devices and Drives" of W10 back to "Hard Disk Drives" and "Devices with Removable Storage" of W7? Basically what I want to do is split the W10 dropdown so that there's one for HDDs/SSDs and one for (Virtual) Optical...
  10. Restore zip functionality to File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore zip functionality to File Explorer: A while back I installed a 3rd party zip application to open a compressed folder I've never heard of before. After doing that, my File Explorer lost its ability to open .ZIP files. So I uninstalled the 3rd party application but it did not fix my ZIP function. I have been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore down button doesnt work