Windows 10: How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive?

Discus and support How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Most of the question is contained in the Subject line. I suddenly have an URGENT NEED to RESTORE/access some quite-old data files (PDFs) created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Theodore W Manos Sr, Nov 2, 2019.

1. How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive?

Most of the question is contained in the Subject line.

I suddenly have an URGENT NEED to RESTORE/access some quite-old data files (PDFs) created under WinXP and Win7 which were backed-up/archived to an external HDD drive (thus not C:\ or D:\) a number of years ago. A few of the backup files were created by Windows Backup in .qic format but most were created by Symantec/Norton Ghost and Norton Backup in .v2i/.iv2i format.

HELP!! HOW can I go about restoring/accessing those old files under Win10? What procedures/steps do I need to perform and/or what program(s) do I need to use? The need to access these files is quite serious and urgent. Thank You, in advance, for any help/guidance you can provide me!

-Ted

:)

Theodore W Manos Sr, Nov 2, 2019
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Wilf.T Win User

How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive?

Where do I find to select the drive to create a backup

So I've bitten the bullet and bought a new PC (Hard & Software upgrade from XP). A I like to ensure I have good and Multiple backups of computer data (inc. OS, Apps etc) I have used the backup tool to create backups on serveral external (USB) hard drives
    (HDD). And there is the problem I have.

When I go back to the backup tool (Backup and Restore (Win7)) recovery page the only HDD that is listed is the first drive I created a backup on. How do I change the location to the other external HDDs?

I have tried the option in the 'Restore' area of the page to 'Select another backup...' but that does not find any of the external drives.

Machine is a DELL loaded as W10 from factory with UEFI bios.

How do I resolve this problem?

Original title: Win10 Backup Drives

Wilf.T, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive?

1. How to RESTORE old DATA FILE backups (WinXP/Win7) stored on an EXTERNAL USB HDD drive? - Similar Threads - RESTORE old DATA

2. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  3. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  4. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Restore last data on external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore last data on external HDD: I think that I know the answer to this question but I have to ask before I plunge ahead. I have a 2TB external HDD that is attached to my media server (WDTV Live). I'm not sure what happened but the WDTV stopped recognizing the HDD. I connected it to my computer and the...
  6. Windows backup and restore win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup and restore win7: Hi, I have to restore all files from a backup to a new drive but I then realized that it also restore renamed/deleted files and folders. I can see that it make sense for someone that accidentally deleted something and want it restored but that makes the tool barely useless...
  7. Restoring backup from an external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring backup from an external drive: Hello everyone! So I recently backed up my hard drive to an external drive before reinstalling Windows 10. Now that I am backed up, how can I restore the data back to its original place on my hard drive? Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/xnmvenom [link] [comments]...
  8. Restore backup data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore backup data: My computer was attacked by Malware. I took a backup of the data and reset my PC the OS. I ran a scan of my external hard drive which contains my backup and some threats were detected and removed. Now I'm trying to restore the data through Control Panel> System and Security >...
  9. Win7 Backup Data Management

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win7 Backup Data Management: I continue to use the Win 7 User Data Backups even after I upgraded from Win7 to Win10. I do not use the File History Backups offered with Win 10. My question regards the datasets saved by the Win7 Backup procedure. I notice my backups include multiple dated Backup Sets...
  10. How to boot an old Win7 drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot an old Win7 drive: My old computer died but I was able to read the old drive with my new computer using Win10. I would like to be able to boot the old drive using my new computer with Win10 or set up a partition on my new computer to run programs written that uses Office Cal 2003 on the old...