Windows 10: How to restore old user account

Discus and support How to restore old user account in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, So i stupidly renamed my user folder name using the method that uses the registry editor then i edited the profile image path. I signed out, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KatiaCienciala, Nov 17, 2020.

1. How to restore old user account

Hi,

So i stupidly renamed my user folder name using the method that uses the registry editor then i edited the profile image path. I signed out, and when i signed back in again it was with a temporary profile.

All my settings have been reset, e.g. background, i was logged out of all my accounts etc. My files weren't deleted, thank God, however they aren't in the normal location; rather than being in This PC/documents they are in This PC/Windows C/Users/*old name of user folder* Agata.

I also now have two temporary user folders. I guess i could just move my folders from into PC/documents and redo all my personalisation, however, i was wondering if there's an easier way to undo the renaming of the user folder?

Any help will be much appreciated, i've decided not to try anything by myself in fear of actually deleting all my files.

Also i have the Windows 10 Home version, if that's any help, and a HP pavilion laptop x360 convertible.

Thank you!

:)

KatiaCienciala, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Restore local account ?

Hi,

We apologize for not being able to address your concern in a timely manner.

I would suggest you to check if your old account is displayed in the list of Manage Accounts.

Follow the below steps to check:

• Right click on the Start button and select
      Control Panel
    • Click on the User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage Accounts and check if you are able to view your old account.
    If you’re old account is not present in the Manage Accounts list then, you may not be able to recover the old account. If you’re old account is present in the Manage Accounts list then you can find that account on the bottom left
    corner on the Lock screen.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

How to restore old user account

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

How to restore old user account

1. How to restore old user account - Similar Threads - restore old user

2. How to restore access to my old Skype account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore access to my old Skype account.: Hello, i've been trying to restore my old Skype account using username, no success. When choosing to reset the password and choosing to get the code to my phone number i see the message that i'm unable to use that verification method. It was probably blocked since i didn't...
  3. hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT: Hello there,PLEASE HELP ME!I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY MAIN USER ACCOUNT!CAN YOU HELP ME MICROSOFT?IM CRYING. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-deleted-user-account/ca8bc58f-41cd-4f6e-86aa-1ede677b2f4b
  4. hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hOW TO RESTORE DELETED USER ACCOUNT: Hello there,PLEASE HELP ME!I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY MAIN USER ACCOUNT!CAN YOU HELP ME MICROSOFT?IM CRYING. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-deleted-user-account/ca8bc58f-41cd-4f6e-86aa-1ede677b2f4b
  5. Restore user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore user account: Can I get help restoring a user account? the folder is in the users folder and I can see the user when I type netplwizard in the windows + R command but I can't log into it. tried asking microsoft support however it took me 15 minutes to explain to the first person I was...
  6. How to restore deleted user account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to restore deleted user account?: One of my family members deleted an important account on my PC while messing around. Fortunately, they decided to keep all the files. I am wondering how can I restore the profile to the login screen with all of the contents intact....
  7. How to Restore Deleted OLD User Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Restore Deleted OLD User Account in Windows 10: Hello, I used windows 10, a Few days ago accidentally My Windows 10 crashed and I lost all My Old User Account Data! Use my Old User Account ID I Encrypt some of my File for Security reasons. After Lost Old User Account ID and Encrypt File Certificate, can't open My File...
  8. Restore old accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore old accounts?: Whew..... I know the "old accts" [ones I can no longer see] DATA is still in "Download" folders, and "Documents".... are there but is there anyway to Make them become "real" official accounts by restoring them somehow, whereas I could login to the them and see the data...
  9. user account restore

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    user account restore: Hi all, How can I restore administrator account and other users deleted from windows 10. Neither options suggested by Microsoft forums work. One is blocked by UAC prompts requiring admin password, and where I can open command prompt and enable the administrator, no other...
  10. Restore old user account

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore old user account: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 and i have two accounts (administrator and local user). actually i didn't use the administrator i just created previously for some installation of application and i'm using the other one user. Today when I turn on the PC the local user was gone...