Windows 10: How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...

Discus and support How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Windows 10 had some issues and i had to restore windows, effectively resetting my computer. I have a backup external HD, that I backup my personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexCorbin, Dec 30, 2020.

1. How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...

My Windows 10 had some issues and i had to restore windows, effectively resetting my computer.

I have a backup external HD, that I backup my personal files.

After doing all the necessary windows updates, I tried the backup for my personal files but the backup in system tools doesnt recognize there is a file history.

When I look at the external drive itself, it shows there is 850 GB used, but doesnt show me the folder/files—all it shows are the files/folders tjat came with the HD.

How do i access my backed up personal files—either from the HD itself, or allowing back-up to restore them directly?

:)

AlexCorbin, Dec 30, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Dec 30, 2020
  3. twilyth Win User
    Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Dec 30, 2020
  4. How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...

1. How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup... - Similar Threads - restore personal files

2. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  3. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup: After a recent win 10 update completely immobilized my hard drive, I was forced to backup the drive from a saved image. The system restored fine, but when I try to restore my files backed up through File History, I get into an endless loop of identifying the drive with the...
  4. Can't restore files in File History after restoring system with an image backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup and restore

Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  6. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Why can't I run a system image backup on my new Windows 11 HP laptop. only 60 gb used on 476gb ssd? My external Hard drive has 841gb free, yet the back up stops saying there isn't enough room to create backup because of VSS doesn't have enough space? how much space does it...
  7. backup and restore

backup and restore: Why won't Windows 10 Backup and Restore Windows 7 backup to a usb flash drive and yet it will back up to a usb portable hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/102cb00f-7a92-443f-986c-01090b36d99d
  8. How to restore system image backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  9. Backup and Restore Files

Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...
  10. Restoring backup

Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393