Windows 10: How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data

Discus and support How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, today Windows 10 on my PC crashed after which my secondary was not available anymore. The partition manager shows it as uninitialized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FriedrichLP, Sep 5, 2020.

1. How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data

Hi everyone,

today Windows 10 on my PC crashed after which my secondary was not available anymore. The partition manager shows it as uninitialized and the device manager as "unknown device". I highly suspect a corrupted MBR but I do not know how to recover it without loosing any data. The drive only had a single partition with the size of the entire disk. I did already try some thirdparty software but all of them either looked very sketchy or did not work. Additionally, I also tried updating the device drivers and disconnecting/reconnecting it without any success. How can I recover the MBR without any data loss?

:)

FriedrichLP, Sep 5, 2020

2. Convert MBR to GPT without data loss?

Hi there,

You can use the software Active@ Partition Manager to convert from MBR to GPT, this software is free to use.

My understanding is that it does this without data loss (I have done so on a test server, creating an MBR drive, filling it with data and then converting to GPT without any documents disappearing)

TroyLondon, Sep 5, 2020
  3. Arily Win User
    System restore and secondary drives

So my setup. I have 2 drives in my computer an SSD and HDD. The SSD came shipped with my computer and I installed the HDD as a secondary drive. I've been using it as storage for all my pictures music etc. I've also installed a couple programs on there. My question is if I do a system restore can I do it without wiping out the secondary drive? How would I go about doing it? Step by step. What would happen to the program's installed on there after the restore?

Thank you.

Arily, Sep 5, 2020
  4. unsmart Win User

How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data

Anyway to transfer MBR to data drive?

I knows it's unbelievable but I seem to have F'ed something up*Big Grin How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data :D when I upgraded my HTPC drive. I'm don't sure way but XP decided to install system files on the new disk and the MBR on another drive. With the system files on the data drive I figure just moving the MBR to it would work? If not would mounting the MBR on a flash drive work? I know theirs apps for rebuilding a damaged MBR but not sure if they could write one.
    The drives are both sata the data drives a 1TB samsung and the others an older sata 160GB WD.

unsmart, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data

1. How to restore secondary drive MBR without loss of data - Similar Threads - restore secondary drive

2. Data Loss without any intervention

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Loss without any intervention: Dear Team, I have HP Laptop EliteBook SN: 5CG94979Z8 , we found that the laptop performance is not fine, we updated Google Chrome and reset TCP IP Network Driver and restart the laptop. After restart we found that the data on D has been disappeared and partition D become...
  3. Converting MBR to GPT without data loss on a non-system disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting MBR to GPT without data loss on a non-system disk: HiI have an MBR system/OS disk running Windows Server 2016 Data Centre edition. I have a secondary, 2TB data disc. I'd like to expand capacity on the secondary disc to 3TB, preferably without data loss. After spending much time on Google, I'm still confused as to whether it's...
  4. Converting MBR to GPT without data loss on a non-system disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting MBR to GPT without data loss on a non-system disk: HiI have an MBR system/OS disk running Windows Server 2016 Data Centre edition. I have a secondary, 2TB data disc. I'd like to expand capacity on the secondary disc to 3TB, preferably without data loss. After spending much time on Google, I'm still confused as to whether it's...
  5. Converting MBR to GPT without data loss on a non-system disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. How to convert MBR to GPT without reinstall Windows and data loss?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to convert MBR to GPT without reinstall Windows and data loss?: Hello,I got a problem when tried to update Win 10 to Win 11, I don't see UEFI settings in "Advanced Options" menu.My system disk partition has MBR, and as I understood I need to change it to GPT.I've tried to find how to do it, but I found only info with full data loss and...
  7. How to convert Mbr to Gpt without losing data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert Mbr to Gpt without losing data?: Hi I want to convert my disk from Mbr to Gpt . Because i want to install Windows 10 64 bit and it requires Gpt partition. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-losing-data/4655f5b7-8d72-455f-8af4-e73cf9aa3d2b
  8. How to convert Mbr to Gpt without losing data?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to convert Mbr to Gpt without losing data?: Hi guys.I want to convert my disk from Mbr to Gpt ... Because i want to install Windows 10 64 bit and it requires Gpt partition... I tried to convert it by easeus partition master but the "Convert mbr to gpt" isn't available for me because my windows is 32 bit ... Is there...
  9. Migrating Multiple Disk Setup from MBR to GPT without data loss?

Migrating Multiple Disk Setup from MBR to GPT without data loss?: Hello! (I apologize in advance for the headache reading this will cause) I'm trying to move my Windows 10 partition to another hard drive, and change the disk to GPT without losing data. I'm trying to avoid a clean installation as it takes me several days and even...
  10. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...