Windows 10: How to restore uncorrupted files from backup?

Discus and support How to restore uncorrupted files from backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, Hoping for a bit of advice regarding using backups to restore data. I have recently had a partial HDD failure on my data drive, it is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Ryulin, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Ryulin Win User

How to restore uncorrupted files from backup?

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of advice regarding using backups to restore data.
    I have recently had a partial HDD failure on my data drive, it is not fully backed up but my essentials are.
    I am currently xcopying the contents to a replacement HDD (which seems like it is going to take several hours as every times it hits a bad file it sits around for a few minutes deciding what to do...).

Looking at the output I would estimate 2 - 5% of the files are failing CRC, other files seems to be copying across so far but of these some are also corrupted (somehow without CRC errors *sarc) - such as noticeably corrupt .jpgs that have grey/random colours for the bottom part of the image).
    Basically to summarise I'm not exactly sure how bad the damage is.

When the copy is completed I want to restore from backup anything I can but I am not sure how to determine what to copy over.

I have the following situations:

Non-backed up files - These are non-essentials e.g. games saves, nice to have but not the end of the world.
    If they are corrupt I should probably remove them (is there a way to tell / do this)?
    Otherwise keep them.

Thanks,

Backed up files - Photos and other docs.
    My backup is recent enough but there will have been some changes since.
    I would dump the whole backup out but I want to keep any files that are more recent than the backup but not corrupted - how can I tell?

:)

Ryulin, Aug 6, 2016

2. Cannot Create a Restore Point Error 0x8004232c - Windows 10

Have not run the DISM tool to fix Windows Corruptions. There was something in the DISM tool instructions about needing another Windows 10 computer which I don't have to copy uncorrupted files, if any to install on my computer to replace corrupted files,
    if any. Uncorrupted files to replace corrupted files are not available to me and not sure where else to get them from.

As a workaround, under 'System Properties' / 'Protection Settings' I removed system protection from the virtual drive that was set up using Microsoft's instructions. After removing protection from the virtual drive, can now create system a restore point
    with the protection still turned on for the 'C' system drive, 'RECOVERY', and the external drive.

Smoothieusa, Aug 6, 2016
  3. SeanBelew Win User
    My laptop was formatted in error and the Windows 10 System Image that I created will not restore

Thanks so much for your help. I found out how to get the files restored by taking ownership in the security settings of the system image files and then, oddly enough, I went to the following area Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows
    7) and to my surprise there is an option that says Restore and then an option to select another backup to restore from and I will be damned if all of the files contained within the .vhdx file were there and intact, uncorrupted. This same preview area allowed
    me to restore the files to another external hard drive and all 40 GB of data was able to be salvaged. I was really considering paying 99.00 for the service you mentioned to restore my data and I will definitely keep that in mind should a situation arise that
    warrants it. Thank you for your outstanding help!

SeanBelew, Aug 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, for scanning for corrupt image files you could try
    Image Sequence Scanner download | SourceForge.net

I came across one called Bad Peggy but this seems an obsolete rather odd java based program which wouldn't run.

Not many such- you may be lucky and find another.

The lesson here is to start using disk imaging - e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage
    Such images are not just a full backup which you can maintain incrementally, but also for Windows allows you to restore Windows exactly as was even after a disk failure.

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
Thema:

1. How to restore uncorrupted files from backup? - Similar Threads - restore uncorrupted files

2. How to uncorrupt pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to uncorrupt pdf file: I would like to open a pdf file on my onedrive but the file is corruption. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uncorrupt-pdf-file/ecd93df0-8d68-4d86-95bc-2fd58529f18c
  3. How to uncorrupt pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to uncorrupt pdf file: I would like to open a pdf file on my onedrive but the file is corruption. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-uncorrupt-pdf-file/ecd93df0-8d68-4d86-95bc-2fd58529f18c
  4. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  5. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  6. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  8. Restore Files from Backup

Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  9. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  10. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...