Windows 10: How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine

Discus and support How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The old machine is FX6300 on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 and the new machine is Ryzen 5 5600X on Gigabyte X570X AORUS Ultra. I want to restore a W10 backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by churin, Aug 15, 2021.

1. churin Win User

How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine

The old machine is FX6300 on Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 and the new machine is Ryzen 5 5600X on Gigabyte X570X AORUS Ultra. I want to restore a W10 backup onto the new machine I assembled. I have been using a disk utility for quite some time to create backup images and restore them. So the backups in the following means that created using the utility. I installed in the new machine, SATA SSDs, and M.2 NVMe SSDs. There was no problem restoring the W8 backup but the W10 fails to boot. The new system allows either GPT or MBR style drive. I am presently pursuing a solution with MBR style system drives. The disk utility mentioned above allows restoring to a dissimilar hardware machine as shown under the following link: Acronis True Image 2021: Restoring to dissimilar hardware with Acronis Universal Restore | Knowledge Base Anyone who has done what I am trying to do?

:)

churin, Aug 15, 2021
  2. Vagulus Win User

W7 version of Backup and Restore is running on my machine after upgrading to W10 and stalls completely ,while backup is in process

Original title: Does Backup and Restore (W7 on a W10 machine) lock the hard drive?

The W7 version of Backup and Restore is still running on my machine after upgrading to W10. I notice that the machine stalls almost completely - it's hard to get anything done - while backup is in process.

Is that normal or do I have some weird setting?

Thanks

Vagulus, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Restoring Backup to New Machine

Hi cakeMake. Welcome to TenForums @cakeMake

Not sure what Accounting package you are using but it should have a backup routine. It will create a backup data file on an external device, say a USB key or external drive.

This backup should be done regularly even if you have a Raid environment, writing to two drives, as this protects you from viruses and ransomware. This backup device should not be on or connected to your machine 7/24 and ideally not kept right beside machine. (This helps you survive theft, fire, water damage.)

Should you have to buy a new machine you would install your accounting package, usually simple enough and then within the accounting package you would either open or restore your data file. Your data elements, accounts, G/L's will all be as they as of the date of the backup.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 15, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Restoring Backup to New Machine

Hi folks
    Backup your system to HDD / SSD say with macrium
    Restore to new machine

Will work 999 times out of 1000 -- Windows will probably mess around getting some new drivers but that's no prob.

All installed software should continue to run -- although some might ask for new activation key --e.g adobe software etc.
    Ms will activate machine if there's any problem - just phone.

I've moved Windows systems so many times between all sorts of different hardware and rarely ever had a problem.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How to restore W10 backup from old machine to a new machine - Similar Threads - restore W10 backup

2. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore to a new machine: I backed up my Windows 10 machine to an external harddrive. How do I restore this backup to a new machine running Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-a-new-machine/12626566-92a4-4266-a0aa-f2d44c2fee41
  3. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore to a new machine: I backed up my Windows 10 machine to an external harddrive. How do I restore this backup to a new machine running Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-to-a-new-machine/12626566-92a4-4266-a0aa-f2d44c2fee41
  4. Restore to a new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  6. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new: I have an old laptop with W10 pro retail license. I want to move to a new PC to which I did a fresh download of W10 pro and have used it un-activated for a while. Now I want to upgrade to 11 but want to activate W10 on new computer and deactivate on old laptop before the...
  7. Moving W10 pro license from old machine to new

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  9. Restoring Backup to New Machine

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Backup to New Machine: Hello, I have small home based business and I have a computer that has all my software for accounting, orders etc. I paid a consultant good money to set and configure all that. He also said he put 2 drives that copy on each other so if one go bad, the other takes over. Have...
  10. Going to W10 on a new machine with old harddrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Going to W10 on a new machine with old harddrive: I'm upgrading my computer with all new internals, except for the harddrive. The hdd has W7 on it, but i want to install W10 (full version 64 bit) on an SSD. Are there any procedures I need to be aware of to do the this upgrade successfully?...