Windows 10: How to restore Win10 start screen pictures?

Discus and support How to restore Win10 start screen pictures? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I noticed that my Windows folder was around 21GB over a year ago. I decided to remove much of the bloatware and used the Github debloater. It worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sean5302, Dec 2, 2020.

1. sean5302 Win User

How to restore Win10 start screen pictures?

I noticed that my Windows folder was around 21GB over a year ago.
    I decided to remove much of the bloatware and used the Github debloater.
    It worked extremely well, removing much of the tracking data and nonsense such as using Edge for pdf files rather than Adobe Acrobat.

Unfortunately, it also removed the high quality pics that Microsoft sends to the start screen.
    Does anyone know how to restore that facility, please?
    Many thanks.

:)

sean5302, Dec 2, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Norman838 Win User
    Start screen pictures

Jelo Sen - Thank you greatly for your very quick reply.

Have followed the steps you suggested but no joy.

When I start this computer the following happens - Blue background screen with the 4 highlighted windows - Blue highlight windows "Welcome" with windows 10 logo - Desktop screen with all current programs etc.

Have checked the computer in adjoining office and opening process which shows pictures - Blue screen with 4 highlighted windows - Panoramic pictures, such as today with a European national park view changing to a view of the " Grand Canyon on Mars"
    also showing the windows 10 logo and surprisingly underneath that still " Windows 7" Welcome - Desktop screen with necessary programs

Seems as though one step has been lost - Both machines originally opened the same way with the pictures.

Norman 838

Norman838, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Opening screen picture

Hi Sharon,

You can customize the settings of the lock screen and desktop screen background picture in the Pesonalization page of Settings. You can also change the profile picture that you're seeing on the log-in screen in the Accounts page of Settings. Just to clarify,
    are you referring to the desktop screen, the lock screen, or the profile picture of your user account?

To change the background picture of the lock screen, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select Personalization.
    • On the left pane, choose Lock screen.
    • Under Choose your picture, you can select from the default list of photos or you can click on
      Browse if you want to select the photo that you want.

You can change the background picture of the desktop by following the same steps above but instead of choosing lock screen, select
    Background.

You can replace the profile picture of your user account by doing these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select Accounts.
    • On the left pane, choose Your info.
    • Under Create your picture, choose Browse for one to see choose the profile photo that you want.

If you have additional questions, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. How to restore Win10 start screen pictures? - Similar Threads - restore Win10 start

2. How to restore the default user profile picture?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the default user profile picture?: How to restore the default user profile picture? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-default-user-profile-picture/73a74f11-b1ce-43fd-986d-d91c35a4e33a
  3. How to restore Win10 start screen pictures?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to restore Win10 start screen pictures?: I noticed that my Windows folder was around 21GB over a year ago. I decided to remove much of the bloatware and used the Github debloater. It worked extremely well, removing much of the tracking data and nonsense such as using Edge for pdf files rather than Adobe Acrobat....
  4. restore pictures

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore pictures: lost pictures after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-pictures/789db85b-ac88-40ae-ae5b-5c823c36c2bd
  5. restore deleted pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore deleted pictures: unable to restore delete pictures any helpers out there ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-deleted-pictures/ed0b2007-c48b-4d70-994e-c89abe1b7efa
  6. How do you add a picture on Win10 signon screen?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do you add a picture on Win10 signon screen?: In Windows 10, when you power up your computer, your desktop shows your name. Above your name is a place for a picture. How do you add a picture?...
  7. Start-up screen pictures.

Start-up screen pictures.: Up until quite recently My Windows 10 Start-up screen shows various world-wide views and use to "ask" in the top right hand corner "Where is it" "Do you like" etc.. This feature had vanished and I wondered is it possible to resurrect this feature please?...
  8. WIN10 start screen

WIN10 start screen: when I start my laptop everyday I seem to get a different picture before my sign in screen shows up. Is there a way of disabling this constant change of pictures and can I simply select a constant picture to show up every time I start my laptop?...
  9. How to save random pictures @lock screen proposed by Win10 ?

How to save random pictures @lock screen proposed by Win10 ?: Hello, Since I've got Win10, I have random wallpapers on the lock screen. To be precise, there is the lock screen where the username appears, but before that, from a standbye of the computer, there is a random picture proposed by Win10, which leads to the lock screen after...
  10. Initial Start up screen picture

Initial Start up screen picture: I would like to change the picture that appears PRIOR to the login screen. It seems to be a default picture, chosen by Windows. I remembered when I first installed Windows 10,each time I started my laptop a different picture would appear and I'd be asked if I liked the...