Windows 10: How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

Discus and support How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How to restore a Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? Re-ask: I want to shift my operating system to a new disk. I have the system image on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bayue, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bayue Win User

How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

Re-ask:

I want to shift my operating system to a new disk. I have the system image on an external HDD. I have the new disk installed in the computer. C: is disk 0 and the new disk is disk 1. the new disk is larger than the old disk and i created a volume that includes the entire drive with no partitions. My problem is that the System Restore utility in Windows 7 wil not let me choose where to restore the system image to. How do I do this? The utility finds the system image on my external HDD but it only allows me to place it back onto the old hard drive. Very frustrating.

-----------------This question description is from the internet (other website), but is what I'm asking for.

:)

bayue, Oct 16, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 16, 2019
  3. System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Oct 16, 2019
  4. How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Please help me restore windows 10

raymond.bell, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

1. How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? - Similar Threads - restore system image

2. How to create a windows 10 system image not user files to permit system restore if the hard...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a windows 10 system image not user files to permit system restore if the hard...: I read the post regarding using OneDrive to store a system image. I understand that we cannot creating a system image on a USB flashdrive, So how dowe creat a system image thaat can be used to restore the system on a new hard drive in the event of a hard drive failure?...
  3. How to create a windows 10 system image not user files to permit system restore if the hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a windows 10 system image not user files to permit system restore if the hard...: I read the post regarding using OneDrive to store a system image. I understand that we cannot creating a system image on a USB flashdrive, So how dowe creat a system image thaat can be used to restore the system on a new hard drive in the event of a hard drive failure?...
  4. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  5. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  6. Not able to restore windows system image from an hard drive

Not able to restore windows system image from an hard drive: Hi, I recently backed up my system image to an 1TB External HD. I installed a new ssd in my laptop and did a fresh windows 10 install. But one of my 4tb Western Digital External HD didn't get unlocked even after entering the correct password. So i wanted to restore to the...
  7. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  8. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  9. Install system image on new hard drive

Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...
  10. Windows 10 Image to New Hard drive, not working

Windows 10 Image to New Hard drive, not working: I have purchased a new WD Blue 2TB hard drive. I had a WD Blue 1TB hard drive with W10 on it, all working etc. I created a System image of the W10 on the 1TB hard drive to a inatek USB external hard drive. I also created a System repair CD Disc for W10 I got my new 2TB...