Windows 10: How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in...

Discus and support How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Arthur Durand, Nov 27, 2018.

1. How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in...

I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script booting into Audit Mode after first reboot to customize the image!

I then installed all the updates for Windows and Modern Apps in Audit Mode and I changed a few settings! I used an unattend.xml during SysPrep which copies my customised settings to the Default user account! After capture, I booted into the customised image and completed OOBE and I found that the new user account has my customised settings, but some of the apps pinned to the Start Menu by default wasn't pinned anymore!

How can I retain the default start menu layout including apps pinned by default?

:)

Arthur Durand, Nov 27, 2018
  2. edee Win User

Start Menu Customisation

Download StartIsBack and you will pretty much have the Windows 7 desktop back .... minus the aero effect. StartIsBack is a reincarnation of the Windows 7 start menu.

I just whish they would bring back being able to customize the login screen instead of having to use those fugly solid colors.

3. alijcam Win User
    Start Menu Customisation

I like having a decent list of most used apps on the start launch list in W7. I would change to [not] 'large icons' in the start customisation options, then set the start menu size to (say) 20 apps.
    Shaun posed a great solution to restoring the 9879-type 'resizable' start menu on 9926 (thanks!), but tinkering with the registry entries that controlled the icon sizes in W7 doesn't seem to work in W10TP.
    However, there is clearly some mechanism that configures the 'all programs' list to use small icons
    Anyone have any suggestions to change the main start list to small(er) icons?

I suppose what i'm wanting is the W7 desktop back - and that's probably not far from the truth; for a desktop user, the W7 Aero presentation was smart, nice to look at, and more productive because it had better delineation between content and functional zones that the Playschool (is this to become the new name for it?) UI doesn't seem to have (for me).

Retain the options to allow the users the options to configure the UI presentation the way they are happiest with, and perhaps then do the analytics to see what everyone chooses?

alijcam, Nov 27, 2018
  4. jds63 Win User

How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in...

How to customise All Apps/Programs

Pretty much what i meant ,drag apps or right click app select pin to start then you can try to use the Full Start Screen as mentioned, see how it works as what you did is just add them to the right, which is good to easier access.

jds63, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in...

1. How to retain Windows default Start Screen layout and pinned apps after customisation in... - Similar Threads - retain default Start

2. How to remove Keyboard layout while retaining language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove Keyboard layout while retaining language: I'm a Swede but I prefer Windows in US English. I do not, however, need the US keyboard layout and it's super annoying how it keeps shifting to that layout all the time hotkey seems to be same as one I use in VS code, Rider, Visual Studio etc.How do I remove or disable the US...
  3. How to remove Keyboard layout while retaining language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove Keyboard layout while retaining language: I'm a Swede but I prefer Windows in US English. I do not, however, need the US keyboard layout and it's super annoying how it keeps shifting to that layout all the time hotkey seems to be same as one I use in VS code, Rider, Visual Studio etc.How do I remove or disable the US...
  4. How to remove Keyboard layout while retaining language

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu Pinned App Settings Start Layout? to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu Pinned App Settings Start Layout? to Windows 11: Hello,I thought that I would try updating my personal computer to Windows 11 since start menu pinned app folders are now a supported feature with the 22H2 update. Unfortunately, my start menu pinned app settings did not carry over from Windows 10. Before updating, I thought I...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Pinned App Settings Start Layout? to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu Pinned App Settings Start Layout? to Windows 11: Hello,I thought that I would try updating my personal computer to Windows 11 since start menu pinned app folders are now a supported feature with the 22H2 update. Unfortunately, my start menu pinned app settings did not carry over from Windows 10. Before updating, I thought I...
  7. My Start menu layout - I LOVE how customisable it is :D

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My Start menu layout - I LOVE how customisable it is :D: submitted by /u/Wakellor957 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jiv3lc/my_start_menu_layout_i_love_how_customisable_it/
  8. Windows not retaining default apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not retaining default apps: Hi all, I can't get windows to retain my default app selection. I work a lot with PDF's and images and this is driving me mad. It's been this way for at least a year now and I can't find a way to make the apps selection stick. Have trawled google for answers but nothing has...
  9. Visual impairment customisations - retained on 8.1 to 10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Visual impairment customisations - retained on 8.1 to 10 upgrade?: A friend is visually impaired so she & I have done a fair bit of work to set up Win 8.1 for her with various elements enlarged, including browser windows etc. so she can see what she's doing. As and when the PC is upgraded to Win 10, and she wants to go to 10 as she really...
  10. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...