Windows 10: How to Return to Traditional Desktop

Discus and support How to Return to Traditional Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I went through all the settings last night, making changes as desired, and somehow managed to screw up my desktop. Instead of seeing my icons on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dustnik, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dustnik Win User

How to Return to Traditional Desktop

I went through all the settings last night, making changes as desired, and somehow managed to screw up my desktop. Instead of seeing my icons on the background and in the taskbar, I have a bunch of start menu tiles covering the screen. I know it's probably a simple matter to return to my old desktop, but I can't seem to find the correct setting to change back. Can anyone help?

:)

dustnik, Nov 16, 2015
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Nov 16, 2015
  3. wallace99 Win User
    Windows 10 has the old desktop disappeared

Hi Krishna,

Sorry but I don't understand your request. My question was about the fact that the traditional initial desktop screen no longer seems to be accessible on Windows 10. I cannot send a screen shot of something which no longer exists.

Maybe I need to be clearer what I mean by the traditional initial desktop screen. I mean the first screen that appeared when you switched on a computer running, say, windows 7 ie that one with all the desktop icons (shortcuts) on it
    plus, of course, the taskbar along the bottom. You could add, remove , rename or re-position icons on it the same as we can now do with the Start screen on Windows 10 (apart from the renaming) This was always the starting point for doing anything on a Windows
    machine and you could always return to this initial desktop screen at any time by clicking a button in the right hand corner of the taskbar

In Windows 10 this traditional initial desktop screen does not seem to exist, so there is no ways of adding icons to it, and no way of returning to it through the equivalent of the button on right hand corner of taskbar.

My apologies for the over elaborate details above but I was not sure you knew what screen I was talking about.

Now to get back to my original questions:

- Can you confirm that the traditional initial desktop screen (as described above) no longer exists in Windows 10. I am not suggesting that would be a problem, merely looking for confirmation that I am not missing something.

- how do I now access the Recycle Bin. It used to be an icon on the traditional initial desktop screen

wallace99, Nov 16, 2015
  4. maxr187 Win User

I believe you have turned on the full screen start menu, revert by going to settings/personalization/start then under the "Use Start full screen" turn it off.

maxr187, Nov 16, 2015
  5. dustnik Win User
    I did what you said, but that didn't fix the problem. It's also annoying that I can't close a program the usual way. I have to click on the task view button and close it that way.

dustnik, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Check in your action centre

you might have accidentally turned on tablet mode

paulsalter, Nov 16, 2015
  7. dustnik Win User
    That did it. Thank you very much.

dustnik, Nov 16, 2015
  8. How to Return to Traditional Desktop

You're Welcome

Glad to hear you got it sorted

paulsalter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Return to Traditional Desktop - Similar Threads - Return Traditional Desktop

2. Shortcut keeps returning to desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut keeps returning to desktop.: A shortcut to Microsoft edge appeared on my desktop a few days ago, so I deleted it because I already have Edge in my taskbar, the thing is the Edge shortcut has come back and keeps coming back after deleting is there a way to permanently remove the shortcut? I don't want it...
  3. Shortcut keeps returning to desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut keeps returning to desktop.: A shortcut to Microsoft edge appeared on my desktop a few days ago, so I deleted it because I already have Edge in my taskbar, the thing is the Edge shortcut has come back and keeps coming back after deleting is there a way to permanently remove the shortcut? I don't want it...
  4. Win + D won't return to desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win + D won't return to desktop: [ATTACH] Hello folks and folkettes! Quick question: whenever I open up a game (in this case Dota 2) and I wish to return to the desktop, by either pressing either CTRL+ESC or WIN+D or even ALT+TAB, the only thing that comes on top is the taskbar. Even if I click on Aero...
  5. Returning desktop brackground on new installation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Returning desktop brackground on new installation: Dear All, After many years of not caring and wondering, I finally want to find out why my customized desktop background returns, this is a background that I created many years ago. The background returns on new installations and even new laptops. So I'm pretty sure that it...
  6. returning to desktop

returning to desktop: I am running Windows 10. When it was installed, I vaguely remember something about a "great" new feature, whereby moving the mouse/cursor to the far right would return you to the desktop. I hate this feature, but don't know how to turn it off. Frequently, when working in...
  7. Change the desktop to look like the old traditional windows dektop

Change the desktop to look like the old traditional windows dektop: Can I change the desktop to look like the older windows traditional desktop. Sometimes it shows up but doesn't stay. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-desktop-to-look-like-the-old/027b6311-7bea-4802-8216-5239ccac81da
  8. how do I return the desktop to fullscreen

how do I return the desktop to fullscreen: How do I return the shrunken screed .desktop to FULL size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-return-the-desktop-to-fullscreen/8dae9836-c949-4b4c-9fda-769a421b6419
  9. Please.Help me return desktop shortcuts

Please.Help me return desktop shortcuts: I doesnt understend what going on with desktop on my PC http://piccy.info/view3/12654002/0a26bcb28e72afbbb8fd8d58e301334b/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/pleasehelp-me-return-desktop-shortcuts/97531352-5f15-4b4f-9b9f-5d62093883b0
  10. Returning to the desktop after April uprade

Returning to the desktop after April uprade: How do I return to the Windows desktop post the April MS Windows 10 upgrade? By desktop I mean without any tiles being displayed. Prior to the upgrade, I simply minimized all windows and the desktop was there. I noted that this question was asked in the February time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. return to traditional desktop