Windows 10: How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode?

Discus and support How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Long story short, W10 doesn't support my built in Intel video chip and there is no driver and W10 wont let me load Windows Basic Video driver so I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevemrose, Sep 26, 2015.

1. How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode?

Long story short, W10 doesn't support my built in Intel video chip and there is no driver and W10 wont let me load Windows Basic Video driver so I need to go back to W7. I can only get into Safe Mode so I don't see how to do the reversal. Windows.old exists. How do I get the computer to revert from Safe Mode?

Thanks
    steve rose

:)

stevemrose, Sep 26, 2015

2. W10 Crashing with BSOD error: WHEA_Uncorrectable Error

Thanks again for your reply. I tried to setup W10 safe mode but unfortunately the PC froze when using the elevated command prompt and shorty after another "WHEA_uncorrectable_error" occurred.

Having accepted that my PC's hardware is not compatible with W10, I decided to revert back to W7. I have started the recovery option (to W7) 3 times and each time I get the crash and "WHEA" error.

So now I am completely stuck!

How can I install W7 from my original disk?

Help!

johnlmcfall, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Kubotaham Win User
    Windows 10 Hangs on Startup

Vanesa,

As I have stated, I cannot get into Safe Mode using the W10 HDD that has/had W10 on it. Using the MCT on a USB stick, I can get to the option of installing W10 but I get the message that it can't create or locate an existing one. It appears as if I can
    delete the Partition 3 on Drive 4, but it would seem that would remove all W10 files, which might make a new installation of W10 not possible.

The only way I can get into Safe Mode on the R3 is by substituting an SDD I was trying to get to boot from a PCI slot last year. I did a copy of the then W7 HDD and tried to use the SSD as the boot drive when it was installed in an open PCI slot (didn't
    work but the drive still had the copy of W7 on it). This I can use to boot into W7 Safe Mode if I substitute it for the W10 HDD. This gives me access to my RAIDed 3TB drives where I have a W10 C:\ drive backup from July of this year. I have resisted using
    this backup to restore the W10 HDD because I am unsure if it will work. Also, I tried to backup the W7 drive from within Safe Mode, but it doesn't seem as if backup software works from within Safe Mode. You suggest I do a backup while in Safe Mode, but how
    would you go about that?

Bob.

Kubotaham, Sep 26, 2015
  4. Hydranix Win User

How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode?

Hi, is the graphics chip in your computer a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100?

Also, to get Windows 7 back, you'll need to reinstall Windows 7.

Which version did you have prior to upgrading? (eg Windows 7 64bit Enterprise, Windows 7 32bit Ultimate, etc)

Hydranix, Sep 26, 2015
  5. It is an Intel Q35 Express Chipset embedded driver. As to rolling back to W7, why do I need to reinstall when W10 made the windows.old folder as it should have during the upgrade from W7? According to everything I have read, if I was able to get into the full version of W10, I would find an option to revert to W7 without problem.

Thanks for your help
    steve rose

stevemrose, Sep 26, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
  7. Hi Rich,

Thanks. The problem is that I can only get a Desktop screen if I go into Safe Mode and this option does not exist in Safe Mode. In fact, the only way I can get the Start Menu to work is to right click it and it does not have an option for a regular menu that shows Settings.

If you can help me find a way to make this happen I would be greatly appreciative.
    All the best
    steve rose

stevemrose, Sep 27, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 27, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 27, 2015
  10. Thanks for the link- i had not seen the shift F8. Did it work for you?

stevemrose, Sep 27, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode? - Similar Threads - revert W10 safe

2. Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7: A friend, who built this Cooler Master computer for gaming, gave it to me and said I could use it now. He ran Windows 7 and it seemed to run fine. I put W10 on it and it randomly blue screens, (giving me the KMODE_Exception...), the length of time before restarting really...
  3. How can I get out of safe mode?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I get out of safe mode?: HI, I was trying to install some graphics drivers and there was an issue so AMD suggested installing a cleaner in Safe mode. I clicked on restart in Safe mode and it asks for a password. I have tried numerous passwords with no luck. How can I get my computer running...
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  6. W10 Initial Boot Fails, reverts to W7 - PS2?

W10 Initial Boot Fails, reverts to W7 - PS2?: In doing an In Place Upgrade to W10, the Initial Boot Fails. I have eliminated every software related issue presented. I have unplugged every non essential hardware device except the PS2 Keyboard, Mouse and Touch Screen Monitor. Can PS2 devices prevent the Initial Boot? I...
  7. W10 Initial Boot Fails, reverts to W7 - PS2?

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Initial Boot Fails, reverts to W7 - PS2?: In doing an In Place Upgrade to W10, the Initial Boot Fails. I have eliminated every software related issue presented. I have unplugged every non essential hardware device except the PS2 Keyboard, Mouse and Touch Screen Monitor. Can PS2 devices prevent the Initial Boot? I...
  8. W10 blinking in log in screen and when in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 blinking in log in screen and when in safe mode: Good afternoon, My computer had an error ("LoginUI.exe") that wouldn't let me log in into my computer, after some messing around the error message stoped but my log in screen keeps on blinking and won't let me log in. I booted in safe mode and after it boots the desktop and...
  9. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  10. W10 Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Safe mode: I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had a crash after holding he shift key so didn't get any further) 34008