Windows 10: How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image?

Discus and support How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have version 1 of Age of Empires which I enjoy playing from time to time. Part of the game is installed on my Win10 PC, but it still requires the CD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Involute, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Involute Win User

How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image?

I have version 1 of Age of Empires which I enjoy playing from time to time. Part of the game is installed on my Win10 PC, but it still requires the CD to be in the PC's optical drive. I run the game by clicking on the games icon in my start menu. Is there a way to get the game to access the ISO image I created of the disc (in WinISO) instead of accessing the physical CD in the drive? I've reached out to WinISO, but thought I'd check here for tips on any solutions that might be built into Win10. Thanks.

:)

Involute, Jul 27, 2021
  2. Involute Win User

Got it. If I try what you suggest in #5 (and the CD removed), the game tells me to insert the CD. How did you install the game to get it to work without it?

Involute, Jul 27, 2021
  3. Involute Win User

I have version 1 of Age of Empires which I enjoy playing from time to time. Part of the game is installed on my Win10 PC, but it still requires the CD to be in the PC's optical drive. I run the game by clicking on the game’s icon in my start menu. Is there a way to get the game to access the ISO image I created of the disc (in WinISO) instead of accessing the physical CD in the drive? I've reached out to WinISO, but thought I'd check here for tips on any solutions that might be built into Win10. Thanks.

Involute, Jul 27, 2021
  4. timta2 Win User

Need ISO maker

Um, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UDF the DVD format?

"The name ISO is taken from the ISO 9660 file system used with CD-ROM media, but an ISO image might also contain a UDF file system."

Optical disc image - Wikipedia

timta2, Jul 27, 2021
Thema:

1. How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image? - Similar Threads - run based game

2. The Sims CD game will not run on windows 11. My CD is the original from 2000 no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Sims CD game will not run on windows 11. My CD is the original from 2000 no...: I have seen other versions of The Sims running on windows 10 or 11 but they are not the original disk I have, instead they are bundle expansion packs that came out months or years after the original release. I Have a nice laptop with windows 11 so I figured I would buy...
  3. The Sims CD game will not run on windows 11. My CD is the original from 2000 no...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Sims CD game will not run on windows 11. My CD is the original from 2000 no...: I have seen other versions of The Sims running on windows 10 or 11 but they are not the original disk I have, instead they are bundle expansion packs that came out months or years after the original release. I Have a nice laptop with windows 11 so I figured I would buy...
  4. How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image?

How to run a CD-based game from an ISO image?: I have version 1 of Age of Empires which I enjoy playing from time to time. Part of the game is installed on my Win10 PC, but it still requires the CD to be in the PC's optical drive. I run the game by clicking on the games icon in my start menu. Is there a way to get the...
  5. Software wanted to create Audio CD iso IMAGE from FLAC/WAV files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Software wanted to create Audio CD iso IMAGE from FLAC/WAV files: Hi folks is there any software around to create an Audio CD IMAGE (iso) (must not require a physical device) from flac / wav tracks. I need this so I can burn a couple of "Virtual ISOs" to a NAS from which a remote user can retrieve the iso image and then use a CD /DVD...
  6. How to verify ISO images "Linux"

How to verify ISO images "Linux": I am hoping that this is appropriate to post this here and if not could someone kindly tell me where to go : ) to ask tis question? Years ago I created a live CD but I am now going to create a live bootable USB. Reading up on it it seems that it highly suggested to verify the...
  7. Problem trying to mount image file (iso) from an audio CD.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Problem trying to mount image file (iso) from an audio CD.: The thing is that since a few days ago, I can't mount any iso file which was made from a music CD. I can mount any other iso files (video DVDs, software), but music cds. This is what happens: [img] That's the message I'm getting, but the image is ok as long as I...
  8. Imaging to an ISO?

Imaging to an ISO?: I'm continuing to learn about imaging, a topic I've previously neglected. In addition to a couple of images I've made using the Win 10 facility (strangely accessed via File History?) I've just made another with a program called DataNumen Disk Image:...
  9. Unable to boot from ISO image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot from ISO image: I attempted to re install Windows 10 because it was running slow, the reset failed and when I went to boot the system up it kept restarting at the first ASUS screen. I have created a ISO by Downloading the Windows 10 off the Microsoft website. I mounted the ISO using...
  10. ISO image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO image: Hi My apologies if this has been asked already. I've downloaded the ISO image and tried to burn it to DVD only to find that is too large 5.6 GIG and doesn't fit on a 4.7 : is there a way to get it to fit or can I extract it to desktop and run it from there? Any...