Windows 10: How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT

Discus and support How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I would like to run the COCOMO II software cost estimation model, which I have on a disk, but it was written for Windows 95/98/NT. I am currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Patrick Taliaferro, Feb 9, 2023.

1. How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT

Hello,I would like to run the COCOMO II software cost estimation model, which I have on a disk, but it was written for Windows 95/98/NT. I am currently running Windows 11 on my machine. Noone has re-written this model or made a similar model so I'm stuck needing to port the old software.What is the best way forward for me to run this application? Would you please recommend any emulators or Windows 95/98/NT .iso files that I could use to make a virtual machine?Thanks,Patrick Taliaferro

:)

Patrick Taliaferro, Feb 9, 2023

2. Programs for a Windows 95/98

Is there any way to run a program made for Windows 95/98 on a Windows 10 machine? I have a lot of kids games for a Windows 95/98 computer for my son with autism, but wondered if they could still be played on my Windows 10 computer. Are there any fixes
    available?

Kelley Smith (ksmith), Feb 9, 2023
  3. Hyper-V and Windows 95/98?

So, I did try compatibility mode. That will run partly, but it won't work for the SETUP.EXE I need to run for the game to work. That means I either need to get a VM working or that I need to actually build a Windows 95/98 computer. Which of these two paths do you suggest I pursue more than the other?

1. Use VMWare/VBox to try to get Windows 95/98 going
    2. Find the hardware needed to build a Windows 95/98 machine.

"Incidentally if installing under VMware or Vbox remember to install the VMWare tools or VBOX additions to the guest after first logon -- windows 98 / 95 won't know anything about HDMI / 1080p/ 4k Ultra HD size monitors -- that's what the virtual video driver will do - plus better control for sound, mouse, networking and some other enhancements.
    I can assure you it's hideous looking at standard VGA on a big 50 inch 4K monitor !!! That's what you will get if you don't install vmware tools or vbox additions (might be called Oracle virtual box additions these days)."

^This is why I'm leaning more towards actually building a Windows 95/98 system from old parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone else from another source also suggested to me that running Windows XP might be the middle ground for the game to work between Windows 10 and Windows 95. Questions based on this idea:
    Q. Will Windows XP install to an SSd, or for that matter, to an M.2 SSD?
    Q. Is there still a buy-able copy of Windows XP out there?

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I'm downloading VMWare Workstation 15 Pro. Is that the VM software I need?

PCDesignerR, Feb 9, 2023
  4. Sandi1987 Win User

How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT

Windows NT 4.0 PCem Emulator Gaming

Windows 95/98 it's 100x better then Windows NT 4.0. I like Windows 95 more than 98 but Windows 98 great too. Best OS's from Microsoft. Windows XP it's not good for Windows 9x games. You need to use Compatibility.

Sandi1987, Feb 9, 2023
Thema:

How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT

1. How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT - Similar Threads - run applications built

2. How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run applications built for Windows 95/98/NT: Hello,I would like to run the COCOMO II software cost estimation model, which I have on a disk, but it was written for Windows 95/98/NT. I am currently running Windows 11 on my machine. Noone has re-written this model or made a similar model so I'm stuck needing to port the...
  3. 16gb RAM running at 50% idle, and 95-98% when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    16gb RAM running at 50% idle, and 95-98% when gaming: HI! Below is a link to my pc build and specs, I have also attached a screenshot from the resource monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/D29NnQI have enabled XMP and am not using a fresh copy of windows as it booted to an old SSD I had installed. Not adept in bios settings or...
  4. 16gb RAM running at 50% idle, and 95-98% when gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16gb RAM running at 50% idle, and 95-98% when gaming: HI! Below is a link to my pc build and specs, I have also attached a screenshot from the resource monitor: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/D29NnQI have enabled XMP and am not using a fresh copy of windows as it booted to an old SSD I had installed. Not adept in bios settings or...
  5. Windows 10 Compatibility Mode - Getting Windows 95/98 Discs to Run

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Compatibility Mode - Getting Windows 95/98 Discs to Run: Hi!So I got a few of my childhood games out recently to run on my new $2,000 desktop, which has the Windows 10 OS and 'compatibility mode.'I have edited the compatibility settings for a game to run with Windows 95, and also tried 98, Vista 2 and Vista 3. I have changed the...
  6. How to make windows 10 look like windows 95/98?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make windows 10 look like windows 95/98?: YouTube 144704
  7. Hyper-V and Windows 95/98?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V and Windows 95/98?: My main goal is to be able to play: Goosebumps Escape from HorrorLand for the PC. It is a Windows 98 point and click game. I'm trying to find out whether or not it is possible for me to use HyperV to create a Windows 95/98 VM using the existing hardware that I already have,...
  8. Programs for a Windows 95/98

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Programs for a Windows 95/98: Is there any way to run a program made for Windows 95/98 on a Windows 10 machine? I have a lot of kids games for a Windows 95/98 computer for my son with autism, but wondered if they could still be played on my Windows 10 computer. Are there any fixes available?...
  9. need w-95/98 to run old cds, w-10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need w-95/98 to run old cds, w-10: need 95/98 windows to rum old cds, have w-10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-w-9598-to-run-old-cds-w-10/ba6cab63-424b-479f-8fec-a04b487d6dbd
  10. this application can run on microsoft windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000 server 2003 only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    this application can run on microsoft windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000 server 2003 only: I am trying to run fire captain in compatibility on windows 10 but the subject message keeps appearing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_games/this-application-can-run-on-microsoft-windows/70578b6a-bd1e-46f3-861b-89a258a463b8