Windows 10: How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)?

Discus and support How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am having boot issues on my PC and so I need to fix the component store since I think the Windows files are corrupted. Usually, in Windows, I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Suzerain, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Suzerain Win User

How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)?

I am having boot issues on my PC and so I need to fix the component store since I think the Windows files are corrupted.

Usually, in Windows, I can just run dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and it works fine.

However, since I can't boot into Windows, I have to go into CMD in Win PE (using installation media), but there I can't use the /Online tag since we can't go online.

I can run /ScanHealth or /CheckHealth and that works fine but the moment I try to run /RestoreHealth, it says 'Error 0x800f081f: The source files could not be found' after around 55%.

I extracted the install.wim file to the root of the C:\ drive and then pointed to it using dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\install.wim and even that gives me the Error 0x800f081f.

I'm running Win 10 19042.662 and I created a bootable USB with the same version - copied the install.wim file from there and it still gives me the error.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Suzerain, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Medway508 Win User

How to run DISM in Windows PE?

Last Thursday Windows 10 downloaded an update, after the update it closed down to restart. It failed to restart and will not boot up. Going online I managed to get to the recovery screen which had several options including system restore. System Restore
    does nothing but tell you to boot up the computer and use system restore. Why, God knows as anyone would who could boot up would do so and restore the system. I could get into command prompt. One thing the Windows 10 forum had was to run scannow and chkdsk.
    Both came back with no errors.

There was also a DISM etc online Restore Health. Command Prompt said no go, in Windows PE online is not possible. The forums came up with various way to run DISM in Windows PE. They all resulted in the same error message of unable to reach the image.
    The image is the ISO downloaded from Microsoft and burned onto a dvd. Using notepad, I know the dvd’s disk number and can see the iso there.

Does anyone know the actual wording to run DISM using this ISO?

Examples of the various online suggestions which have failed are:

Dism / image:H:\
    /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:H:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

dism.exe /image:H:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

dism / image:H:\
    /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:H:\

dism / image:H:\
    /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:H:

Medway508, Dec 5, 2020
  3. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE / BSOD + STOP ERROR 0XC0000001 IN WIN 10 DUAL BOOT?

Hi Cello,

Your concern occurs due to some corruption on your system files. We suggest that you try the methods below and check
    if it helps.

Method 1How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)? :perform
    System File Checker (sfc) scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and
    restore corrupted files. To perform this, follow the steps on this link.

Steps mentioned on the link for Windows 8 and 8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2:Run
    DISM commands.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management
    (DISM) is a command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replace the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe),
    PEimg, and
    Intlcfg tools. DISM consolidates the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivering new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Follow the steps below on how to run the DISM commands:

• Press
      Windows + X
      on your keyboard.

• Select
      Command prompt (Admin)to open Administrator Command Prompt .

• In the Command Prompt, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command.

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Justin Emb, Dec 5, 2020
  4. How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)?

Win 10 refresh and clean install failure

Kalpana - Thanks for the response. This is a Samsung All-in-One Desktop PC. Mod # is at beginning of 1st post.

As for Step #1.

I do not have a desktop or any way you listed to open a CMD window. The only way I get to a command prompt is to use the recovery off the DVD I burned. So I ran the 2 commands from the X:/sources prompt if that matters.

Here is the result of step #2 commands:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth ->

"Error 50. DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option."

sfc /scannnow ->

"Beginning sytem scan. This process will take some time."

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again"

Restarting did not change anything. Still goes to a blank screen and stops. Brightness is up to max.

Recapping - Windows does not boot, it hasn't booted since I began this mess. It did update to Win 10 successfully last week and worked ok. The current problem is the result of wanting a clean install.

As for resetting or using go back function, neither is an option at this point so this is a clean install. I tried the reset option after the first failure. The drive has been wiped and new partitions created multiple times by the installer. I do not
    care about the old data I lost, I just want to get Win 10 installed at this point.

Thanks

Drew

DelawareDrew, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)?

1. How to Run DISM Commands in Win PE (Boot Failure)? - Similar Threads - Run DISM Commands

2. my pc cant run DISM command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc cant run DISM command: hi,i have run sfc command in powershell admin but dism/cleanup-image/restorehealth is not running.look at picture and log belowdism log.txt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-run-dism-command/572add68-8c11-4676-a74a-45eaeb65242e
  3. dism command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dism command: Hi so when i did dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup it stopsnon 20% and says it done https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-command/a622031b-1790-4347-b76c-75d4a06b7d0b
  4. dism command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dism command: Hi so when i did dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup it stopsnon 20% and says it done https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-command/a622031b-1790-4347-b76c-75d4a06b7d0b
  5. Repair Using DISM in Windows PE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Using DISM in Windows PE: I cannot boot my windows. Already tried automatic startup repair and resetting the PC which both failed. I have a flash drive containing windows 10. so how do I restore it? Restoring corrupt OS in windows 7 and xp was way more simpler than the newer OS. tsk!...
  6. Difficulty running Dism commands

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difficulty running Dism commands: I searched for it online and found out to perform SFC /scannow via a command prompt I did that as well see screenshot [img] Issue with Windows 10 update stuck on Version 1809 (error 0x80240034)-sfc-scannow.png I got this "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files...
  7. Difficulty running Dism commands

in Windows 10 Support
    Difficulty running Dism commands: I searched for it online and found out to perform SFC /scannow via a command prompt I did that as well see screenshot [img] Issue with Windows 10 update stuck on Version 1809 (error 0x80240034)-sfc-scannow.png I got this "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files...
  8. How to run DISM in Windows PE?

How to run DISM in Windows PE?: Last Thursday Windows 10 downloaded an update, after the update it closed down to restart. It failed to restart and will not boot up. Going online I managed to get to the recovery screen which had several options including system restore. System Restore does nothing but tell...
  9. Running the SFC and DISM commands

Running the SFC and DISM commands: The picture below shows how I run the sfc & dism cmds --- sfc should be run before & after the dism cmd --- [IMG] It works for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/running-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/3d325608-c97d-401a-8cbf-9d0a7f499bcb
  10. How to use DISM in WINDOW PE environment?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to use DISM in WINDOW PE environment?: i am trying to repair my windows(i cannot boot to windows 10 and i tried automatic repair three times already). Can't even boot to safe mode. Keeps getting pci.sys corruption error at boot up. So i am forced to use a usb to boot to a Pre-installed window environment....