Windows 10: How to run File Explorer as Administrator

Discus and support How to run File Explorer as Administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What I don't understand is why with administrator rights, I can't access or delete files or even save files to the Windows folder. I also don't have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WightWalker, Aug 6, 2015.

1. How to run File Explorer as Administrator

What I don't understand is why with administrator rights, I can't access or delete files or even save files to the Windows folder.

I also don't have the option if I right click to run File Explorer with Administrator rights.

How to run File Explorer as Administrator [​IMG]

If I Right Click on another Application I get to run as Administrator

Here are File Explorer properties; as you can see the olption to run as Administrator is grayed out

:)

WightWalker, Aug 6, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 6, 2015
  3. how do i run a notepad file as administrator

how do i run a notepad file as administrator. I'm trying to stop the infuriating windows 10 update by running a notepad file as follows: This is saved on my desktop and apparently i need to do this every day!!

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

PGillespie59, Aug 6, 2015
  4. cameos Win User

How to run File Explorer as Administrator

Because "File Explorer" on Start is not really an application, it's much like a placeholder or quick access link to explorer.exe (and you can configure a third party file manager to replace Windows default explorer.exe if you want).

You can however use "File Explorer" to open C:\Windows folder, find explorer.exe there, right click and choose "Run as administrator".

cameos, Aug 6, 2015
  5. That works fine, but I still don't understand why, as an administrator, with administrator rights, I still can't delete some files. I've tried taking ownership but with no success.

WightWalker, Aug 7, 2015
  6. PAL
    pal Win User
    It is a security thing, to minimize the damage a malicious program might do. It is called User Account Control - UAC.

7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    What files do you want to delete?

It's not the administrator rights. You need to set the permissions and in order to do that you may need to take ownership. If you can't do that from your admin account then activate the super admin account.

Alternatively make a bootable USB or DVD with Hiren's BootCD on it.

Boot to Linux and have at it.

8. Has already been set Never Notify.

WightWalker, Aug 7, 2015
  9. WightWalker, Aug 7, 2015
  10. Keldian Win User
    The UAC slider is not enough. You need a registry edit to disable it completely, which has the side-effect of breaking the store apps.

If you do want to do this, run the following from CMD: Code: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f[/quote]

Keldian, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Grahamp Win User
    Tis simple really - Create a shortcut on your desktop to Explorer.exe and in Properties select Shortcut tab > Advanced button then check Run as Administrator

Grahamp, Mar 3, 2017
  12. poomanchu Win User

Did this work for you? I'm trying to delete some mods left over in a steam folder but I just get the access denied no matter which way I set the folder properties security tab and edit tab. I've never had this problem with windows 7 and this is somewhat infuriating.

poomanchu, Mar 3, 2017
  13. Pyprohly Win User
    Never was it possible to just navigate to C:\Windows, right click on explorer.exe and select “Run as administrator” to start it elevated. On Windows 7 and 8 you had to completely close the current explorer.exe process first.

In Windows 10 this isn’t the case anymore. I’ve noticed it’s now increasingly difficult to open an elevated Explorer process.

@poomanchu You might find it easiest to login as the builtin Administrator to do that.

Pyprohly, Mar 4, 2017
  14. I'm using windows 10 and trying to edit some video file information and even with launching file explorer as an admin it still refuses to allow me to remove the title from my videos.

HRPuffnstuff, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to run File Explorer as Administrator - Similar Threads - run File Explorer

2. How to not run as administrator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to not run as administrator?: How do I get a program to not run as administrator? I have tried going into the compatibility tab and unchecking the box but that doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-not-run-as-administrator/6039d6d0-7961-4d0d-8e84-5750ae579c57
  3. How to not run as administrator?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to not run as administrator?: How do I get a program to not run as administrator? I have tried going into the compatibility tab and unchecking the box but that doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-not-run-as-administrator/6039d6d0-7961-4d0d-8e84-5750ae579c57
  4. How to not run as administrator?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows File Explorer and Run as Administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer and Run as Administrator: I run Windows 10.0.19044 on a Thinkpad X1 16GB, 1TB. I have a shortcut to Windows File Explorer that executes: C:\windows\explorer.exe /e,H:\I have mapped a network drive, "H", to a network location. I have set the properties of the shortcut to "Run as Administrator". When I...
  6. Windows File Explorer and Run as Administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer and Run as Administrator: I run Windows 10.0.19044 on a Thinkpad X1 16GB, 1TB. I have a shortcut to Windows File Explorer that executes: C:\windows\explorer.exe /e,H:\I have mapped a network drive, "H", to a network location. I have set the properties of the shortcut to "Run as Administrator". When I...
  7. how to run as administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to run as administrator: how to run as administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-as-administrator/0203dd74-446d-4447-9443-dbf1c627879d
  8. run as administrator view in file explorer missing

in Windows 10 Support
    run as administrator view in file explorer missing: I am reading a tutorial here Run as Administrator in Windows 10 and in option six they show to run as administrator in file explorer ribbon [img] but when I open my file explorer I don't see any such thing to run as administrator in my file explorer what did I miss here....
  9. How to run a .bat file as administrator in startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to run a .bat file as administrator in startup?: Hello. As BitDefender as an ongoing error, I want to run a small "bdfix.bat" at login time. But this .bat file MUST be run as an administrator to work. How do I do that? *Redface 120997
  10. On how to run a .ps1 file as Administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    On how to run a .ps1 file as Administrator: Hello everyone, If you have had a chance of going through the great Brink's Tutorial Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 (I strongly advice you do), you may have noticed that, if you wish to automatize, at least to a certain extent, the procedure of getting rid of Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 how to file explorer as administrator