Windows 10: How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?

Discus and support How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to take daily backups of user profiles - at least AppData, Documents, Descktop - to a NAS drive with some degree of security from malware. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pokeefe0001, Jul 5, 2020.

1. How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?

I want to take daily backups of user profiles - at least AppData, Documents, Descktop - to a NAS drive with some degree of security from malware. There are problems with everything I've tried (or just looked at) so far.
    1. Macrium Reflect files and folders backups work, but MR sometimes leaves an open SMB connection under my userid to the NAS. Anything running under my userid can access the target share on the NAS without providing credentials. (This happens if a backup is manually invoked or if the backup definition is changed.)
    2. Acronis True image using FTP would be a good solution, but the Acronis FTP client is incredibly buggy. Backup management is unreliable.
    3. WinSCP would allow secure backups using SFTP, SCP, or WebDAV, but it chokes on the symbolic links (or perhaps junctions) that are in AppDATA.

What other options are there that I've missed?

BTW, the logic behind this is that I can get away with weekly image backups if I back up changeable stuff daily. 2 desktops have local external drives I can back up to, but 2 laptops do not so I back them up to a NAS. And I back up that NAS to another NAS in another location with no direct access (at least no SMB access) from Windows. That isolated NAS also gets weekly FTP backups of the backup files on the desktop external hard drives. That remote NAS has backups 1-2 weeks old, but I really want to daily backups of AppData and Documents.

I don't think it matters, but I'm running Win 10 1909.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jul 5, 2020
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jul 5, 2020
  4. How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?

User profile cannot be loaded.

Hi Annie,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the user accounts on Windows 10.

Method 1: I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check with the status of User profile service.

Step 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    d. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Method 2: Try to create a new user account (Microsoft account) and check if you are able to access the content from your computer

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: Create a Microsoft account

Method 3: Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?

1. How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS? - Similar Threads - safely backup user

2. User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile: recently on 18-8-2020 my pc updated automatically . after the upate as i logged in my laptop .... it was as if i bought a new computer and there were no files in my desktop and other folders. when went in The Pc- Users- {My Main Account Username } i found all my files in...
  3. how to safely delete unused user profiles on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to safely delete unused user profiles on windows 10?: hi, my C drive is full to the brim: [ATTACH] and I also noticed that for some reason I have loads of accounts. I should only have three: [ATTACH] my question is: 1. is it safe to remove the old profiles? 2. will removing the old profiles affect my current profile? 3....
  4. Best Backup for NAS drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Backup for NAS drives?: Hi, Would anyone recommend a good Cloud Backup for my NAS drives, Synology DS218J NAS 16TB and WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS 8TB both on RAID1 (HOME) setups but am looking for a online backup incase off theft or any other problems? I'm using about 2-4TB at the moment. Thanks...
  5. File History and backup to a NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History and backup to a NAS: I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do unless an alteration has been made to the document. I have looked at other advice on the community pages and everything suggested...
  6. Backup to NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to NAS: Hello! I want to save my Windows backup to my NAS but i am running access to it without credentials, and that dosnt work for Windows Backup. The backup feature wants credentials but i dont have any. Typing Guest/Guest dosnt work, it just says i need full permission but i...
  7. user profile status set to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    user profile status set to backup: how to I repair my user account. every time I log on windows preps it as if it is new account,. lost power when shut down after installing software , wouldn't boot afterwards, used windows 10 repair disk and now boots but cant sign on , I had a standard account just in case...
  8. Replacing/updating user profile with older/backup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Replacing/updating user profile with older/backup: I've gone through hell the last 2 weeks , unlike with the last iterations of windose I could grab all the folders in a profile and drag and drop it into the profile to be updated with the old information,ect. If I am understanding the info I have read win10 uses a live...
  9. Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup: Hi there If you have a few old HDD's available why not use these for backing up NAS etc. To do this IMO the best way is as follows : 1) Get say a 4 Bay (powered) HDD container with USB3 connector -- really cheap one with no built in RAID etc works really well. 2 Bay...
  10. Backup of your NAS boxes

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup of your NAS boxes: Hi there A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can). So I do suggest that you actually backup the stuff on your NAS from time to time -- you might NEVER need it but who knows. NAS boxes (or things like Micro...