Windows 10: How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet

Discus and support How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Apologies. Not sure if this belongs in Hardware or Network. Full subject header is "How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phaedruspress, May 13, 2020.

1. How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet

Apologies. Not sure if this belongs in Hardware or Network. Full subject header is "How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet Speeds"

I have been having a discussion in another forum about thinking of dropping my Internet tier down form Cox Preferred 150 to Cox 50 but I was concerned about the drop off in download speed in particular not so much as how quickly a web page would load but just downloads in general.

It was suggested I change my router settings to 50mbps and see how it felt.:

"Look for QOS settings on your router. Set it to 50mbps"

QOS settings on your router at DuckDuckGo

I have never done this before and am fearful I will muck it up somehow. I have a 6 year old combo modem/router Netgear AC1900 C6300BD that works without problems.

Anyone have any experience doing this and have suggestions or a particular guide they might recommend? TIA.

Mostly I am concerned with after "the experiment" is that I can easily and without difficulty return to my Cox Preferred 150 settings and speed. Any harm in doing this with the VPN on since it is on all the time anyway. TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, May 13, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

Setting up a Router & PC to a WAN port for Router bandwidth testing

That might need some clarification. Click to expand...
    That link has more clarification, instruction and screenshots you should check out. *Wink How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet ;)

To clarify what I said a little, you setup two LAN subnets for this test, one for the WAN-side and one for the LAN-side of the router. Also, there's no real reason to have or use DHCP here aside from configuring the LAN-side IP address of the router. I would also recommend you set everything statically to prevent DHCP from changing any addresses, which it likely wouldn't but has the potential to depending on variables at play.

So in this example you could use 192.168.2.0 subnet for the WAN-side.
    • Router WAN port set static to 192.168.2.1
    • PC1 NIC port set static to 192.168.2.2
    Then use 192.168.1.0 for the LAN-side.
    • Set router LAN to static to 192.168.1.1 (usually in DHCP settings on a home-grade router).
    • Set PC2 NIC port static to 192.168.1.2
    • In router, go to DMZ, set IP address of device to be in DMZ to 192.168.1.2
    • Setting DMZ will allow bypassing of the NAT Firewall, or you can set up firewall and routing rules to push traffic between subnets. Honestly the easiest thing to do here is placing PC2 in the DMZ on the router.
      • At this point, if you ensure all devices have ICMP (ping) inbound enabled (Windows Firewall look for ICMPv4 File and Print on inbound, make sure enabled...Windows is known to have this enabled on some devices and disabled on others), you should be able to ping all devices from any other device. This will let you know that network subnet traversal is working correctly.
    Once done there, pick your methods for performing bandwidth testing. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 13, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, May 13, 2020
  4. Dann Ave Win User

How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet

Safely Changing Router Password

HI Sherry,

You should still be able to manage your router's password even with the prompt for the site not being secure. Though if you are unable to completely access your router's gateway, you can use the router's IP.

To get the IP, follow the following steps.

• Press Windows key and X.
    • Select Command Prompt.
    • Type: ipconfig /all.
    • On the information that will show, look for DHCP Server, take note of its IP.

You can type the IP to your browser to access your router's gateway.

If you are still having concerns with accessing your router's gateway, best to contact your internet service provider if they are the ones who gave the router, or the router's manufacturer for further assistance.

Regards.

Dann Ave, May 13, 2020
Thema:

How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet

1. How To Safely Throttle Router Settings Back To Test Different Internet - Similar Threads - Safely Throttle Router

2. Windows is throttling internet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is throttling internet speed: Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot why my Windows 10 PC is not able to achieve appropriate internet speeds.OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3208ISP: AT&T 5 Gbps fiber symmetricalNetwork Adapter: ASUS XG-C100C 10 GbE wired connectionSpeed test results: 600-1100 Mbps down, 250-500...
  3. Internet connectivity throttled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connectivity throttled: Hey all,I recently moved to a new place which provides internet. I've realized a short while ago that my connection speed has dropped dramatically, but I'm thinking now that may just be coincidental to the move. It must be an issue with my PC.Background info:My PC is almost...
  4. Internet connectivity throttled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet connectivity throttled: Hey all,I recently moved to a new place which provides internet. I've realized a short while ago that my connection speed has dropped dramatically, but I'm thinking now that may just be coincidental to the move. It must be an issue with my PC.Background info:My PC is almost...
  5. Internet connectivity throttled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to set router for 5ghz

How to set router for 5ghz: Hello. Just got a new Asus router rt-ax88u which is wifi 6. Son had a new pc for Christmas which is for gaming mostly, which also uses wifi 6. I read somewhere that it's an idea to set the 5ghz channel purely for the gaming pc. But am not sure of the best way to do this on...
  7. Windows10 Throttling Internet

Windows10 Throttling Internet: Hi need help. I think my Asus FX505GE is broken. It's been throttling my internet connected via wi-fi from previously 300mbps to a mere 35mpbs now. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it's been doing that for a while now. I have a 1Gbps package and my other connected...
  8. Is there a setting to set all engine throttles to a single throttle controller?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a setting to set all engine throttles to a single throttle controller?: Using CH Fighterstick, Prothrottle and ProPedals... In multi-engine aircraft, is there a binding to allow all engines to be controlled by the single throttlecontroller? I saw the throttle1, throttle 2, throttle 3, and throttle 4 assignments but when I tried to map throttle...
  9. Safely Test Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Safely Test Backup: I am using MiniTool ShadowMaker and want to test the backup image of my main "C" drive including "System" files stored on my external dirve. If I recover the image to my main drive and something goes wrong I will lose the entire contents of my "C" drive and external drive...
  10. How to set password for router

How to set password for router: Split from this thread. My router is a 10+ year old Netgear router. It used to have a password but is now open. My laptop is a Surface Pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-password-for-router/3e4275b2-68d6-4fdc-95ba-baade12e783a