Windows 10: How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

Discus and support How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bazsl, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Bazsl Win User

How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely readable on the 27" monitor and unreadable on the laptop display. The "solutions" I have found using Google do not work. Any ideas? Thanks.

:)

Bazsl, Aug 2, 2019
  2. TH90 Win User

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

I am building a PC with windows 10. I have yet to buy my monitor.

I'm considering buying a 4k/UHD monitor but given the issues you can have with scaling (i.e. when using program's that aren't set up to cope with the scaling and therefore show up blurred) I am wondering if it is worth it at this point in the 4k/windows
    infancy? Its worth pointing out that I am thinking of buying a monitor no bigger than 24" so not using scaling won't be very good as the task bar will be tiny.

Also, (my main question) when you use the scaling its effectively at Full HD resolution, correct me if I'm wrong, so what happens when scaling is on and I want to watch a 4k video. Will it be shown in 1080p or 4k? How does it work? What is the scaling actually
    doing.

Thanks in advance.

TH90, Aug 2, 2019
  3. Scaling Issue With Extended Monitors

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing scaling issues when you connect a 4K monitor to the PC. For more clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. What is the make and model of the PC?
    2. How the monitors are connected to the PC?
    3. What is the build version of Windows installed on the PC?
    4. Have you tried updating the display drivers?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the article
    Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices
    and check if that helps.

Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further with the issue.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 2, 2019
  4. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

Dual Monitor Setup issues - 4k and 1080p combination

The issue is worse than it seems at first. I have a 4k display (200%) scaling and a 1080p display (100% scaling) and even office apps look blurry on the 1080p display. If I unplug the 4k display and reboot the problem goes away. I believe the problem is
    present on all apps and is a system issue. It's been suggested that to get the 100% scaling everything on both monitors is generated at 200% and then the part on the 1080p display is downsampled to 100%, resulting in the poor quality.

As it is Windows 10 is almost unusable with a very different DPI dual monitor setup.

RichardLittlewood, Aug 2, 2019
Thema:

How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

1. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor - Similar Threads - scale Remote Desktop

2. Microsoft Remote Desktop Not Working for 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Remote Desktop Not Working for 4K Monitor: Hello everyone.I have a rather weird situation that I can't seem to fix for the past two days. I usually remotely connect to my work PC using my 4k external monitor that I connect to my laptop with no issues when the display resolution is set as "choose for me'. Suddenly, I...
  3. Microsoft Remote Desktop Not Working for 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Remote Desktop Not Working for 4K Monitor: Hello everyone.I have a rather weird situation that I can't seem to fix for the past two days. I usually remotely connect to my work PC using my 4k external monitor that I connect to my laptop with no issues when the display resolution is set as "choose for me'. Suddenly, I...
  4. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  5. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  6. How do I enable DPI scaling for 4K full-screen Remote Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I enable DPI scaling for 4K full-screen Remote Desktop?: I'm on a pair of 4K displays. For a very long time, the RDP to my work machine had DPI scaling enabled so that when I connect full-screen across both screens, everything scales up correctly. Somehow this reverted to a state where RDP no longer scales. I don't know if this was...
  7. How do I enable DPI scaling for 4K full-screen Remote Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I enable DPI scaling for 4K full-screen Remote Desktop?: I'm on a pair of 4K displays. For a very long time, the RDP to my work machine had DPI scaling enabled so that when I connect full-screen across both screens, everything scales up correctly. Somehow this reverted to a state where RDP no longer scales. I don't know if this was...
  8. How can I scale the Remote Desktop window on a 4k monitor?

How can I scale the Remote Desktop window on a 4k monitor?: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  9. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  10. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 remote desktop 4k

2. windows 10 application scaling 4k to 1080p rdcman

3. windows 10 remote desktop scaling