Windows 10: How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10

Discus and support How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There have been numerous questions in the past about this topic, but it appears no-one found a solution. I have found a good and simple solution to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogerBarton, Jul 12, 2018.

1. How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10

There have been numerous questions in the past about this topic, but it appears no-one found a solution. I have found a good and simple solution to the problem which suits my purpose very well but it might not suit everybody:

I use Windows 10 on a laptop, and I had been using an external hard drive to use the old Windows 7 backup and restore function which is included in Windows 10. I wanted to change to using a ScanDisk USB drive for a Windows 10 File History backup because it's quicker and more convenient.

Settings-"Update & Security"-Backup allows you to choose a range of File History backup/copy times ranging from "10 minutes" to "Daily", and the only option that suited my purpose is the daily one. However, in this setup there is no way of choosing the actual time of day I wanted to use.

After exploring a number of possibilities without success, I discovered the following solution:

Open Control Panel

Select "Security & Maintenance"

Click on the down arrow in the "Maintenance" line to reveal the maintenance list

If you have already set up Windows 10 File History backup in Settings menu, you will see "File History" itemised in the maintenance list

Click on "change maintenance settings" in the line under "Automatic Maintenance". This will take you to a new screen on which you can choose the time of day when automatic maintenance takes place. Whichever time you select will also be the time when your File History backup also occurs (I chose 22.00 hrs, and checked that it does actually happen - it does!)

The reason I said at the start of this message that this solution might not suit everyone is that automatic maintenance also runs other routines as necessary (read the blurb at the top of the time-choice screen). I have found that the time taken for the maintenance takes anything from 2 to 30 minutes. If you are using your device at the due maintenance time it will be delayed until your device is idle. Also if the maintenance routine is running and you need to use your device, the maintenance will stop until you have finished, then resume.

I hope that this is helpful to other people, but please note that I am not a "techy", so I advise to check first that everything I have said is accurate before proceeding (you could try a dry run).

Escafeld

:)

RogerBarton, Jul 12, 2018

2. Schedule time for File History backups?

The Windows Backup for files and system image has a schedule that allows me to run this once a week at a certain time. All well and good.

The File History backup only seems to have a schedule that allows me to run this daily BUT does not appear to allow me to schedule what time of day I want the backup to run.

Is there a way to schedule the time to run a DAILY File History backup?

FrankTekstar, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Schedule time for File History backups?

I have 'File History' scheduled for 'Daily'. Please elaborate on when this scheduled 'Daily' File History backup runs. Can I control the schedule time? Also, I normally keep my File History backup drive disconnected. Does File History resume when I
    plug the drive back in. If not, why not?

Tony and NancyNugent, Jul 12, 2018
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10

File History - Does not turn off

I have turned OFF File History. When I check Task Schedule history dates, it shows the listings of having backed up File History. Why is that? I use Windows 10

I do have File History as a scheduled event, but the set scheduled times do not coincide with the history dates. Moreover, by turning OFF File History it would seem the schedule setting should not work.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10

1. How to schedule my time of day for backing up File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - schedule backing File

2. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  3. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  4. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  6. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  7. Windows 10 file history not backing up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 file history not backing up.: Ever since 7/29 my backup hasnt been working, i have tried 4 times now already but the size and date for the most recent backup hasnt changed it says, I dont know if thats a glitch or not but I might be getting a new PC soon and I will try and change the hard drives out and...
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de