Windows 10: How to scroll File Explorer context menu

Discus and support How to scroll File Explorer context menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 File Explorer has a arrow at the bottom to scroll the menu, how can the menu be scrolled in the old "normal" fashion? 48187 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rdwray, Apr 22, 2016.

1. rdwray Win User

How to scroll File Explorer context menu

Windows 10 File Explorer has a arrow at the bottom to scroll the menu, how can the menu be scrolled in the old "normal" fashion?

:)

rdwray, Apr 22, 2016
  2. [Ahiru] Win User

How to Turn Off / Disable Touch Friendly Contextual Menu in Windows 10

Any news on this? How this works is horrible right now. Here are a few tips:

1) Make the touch context menu scroll with a swipe, like things with a scroll bar do.

2) Condition the display of the touch friendly context menu to the state of the tablet mode.

3) Add a switch to turn this on or off in the tablet mode settings.

Ideally you should implement point 1, ALWAYS display normal context menu when NOT in tablet mode and add a switch like this: "Use touch friendly context menu in tablet mode" on/off.

At least with a 10" tablet normal Windows interface is easy to operate and big buttons become kinda of a burden as they allow for less things on screen (like having to scroll the context menu)

[Ahiru], Apr 22, 2016
  3. File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Apr 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Unfortunately apparently not. The question has been asked here before, and I'm sure you've found other references.

It's long been like that in Windows.. you could always try feedback e.g. Windows key +?
    or posting on an MS forum eg technet..

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  5. rdwray Win User
    Just posted to technet. I have a small tablet that is very convenient and it is almost impossible to tap the tiny little arrows without activating something in the menu. thanks...

rdwray, Apr 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Another approach would be to disable selected context menu entries to shrink it - several programs around.
    5 Free Tools To Manage The Context Menu In Windows

Also cfi shelltoys (if available for Win 10) had an option to move context menu entries to a 'rarely used' category.

In other words, find a way that suits you to rejig your context menu so none are too long.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to scroll File Explorer context menu - Similar Threads - scroll File Explorer

2. No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer: Can anyone help - this is driving me nuts and I cannot find answer anywhere ! I used to have four icons (shown in photo) when I opened my recycle bin in File Explorer. Suddenly they all disappeared. How do I get them to reappear ?? I am am using Windows 10 Home edition. Any...
  3. File Explorer Second-button Context Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Second-button Context Menu: In Detailed View mode, when right-clicking on a highlighted area of a file or folder when there is no text present, the options presented are for the folder containing that file/folder, not the file/folder being clicked on. The context-menu operation needs to work on the...
  4. My context menu in file explorer keeps disappearing

My context menu in file explorer keeps disappearing: Occasionally when I right click something, the context menu appears, then disappears. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you for your time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-context-menu-in-file-explorer-keeps/721003cf-8799-44cd-994b-87c1040dbe87"
  5. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash: After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar. The...
  6. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.: I have a few file extensions where the 'Open with' option is not working. When I right click on these extensions I get an 'Open with' option with an arrow that just produces another 'Open with' instead of a list of other programs that can open the particular file extension....
  7. Right click context menu for explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click context menu for explorer: Trying to create a Right click context menu for explorer. I used to be able to launch VLC mediaplayer by right clicking on a Video_ts folder and chose play with VLC, seems to have gone for some reason...tried a few programs to help me with this but no luck yet....just tried...
  8. Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu: My first post here. I searched here but could not find an answer, maybe someone can shed some light on this. I am trying to help an elderly friend who has run into a problem that neither of us can solve. I consider myself pretty savvy on computers, but this one has me...
  9. scrolling in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    scrolling in File Explorer: My background is 3840 by 1080. I have 55 pictures in a Dropbox account of that size. When I click on one of the last ones, to make it background, or just to look at it... the scroll bar on the right goes right back up to the top. Windows 8 and 8.1 did the same. It is so...
  10. Windows Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Context Menu: Windows Explorer Context Menu Add custom items to Windows Explorer shell context menu easily with Explorer Context Menu. Easy to start (just install), easy to add your menu items (just one line of template code for every menu item), easy to use (.Net C#, VB, etc.) easy to...