Windows 10: How to search a file by its partial name?

Discus and support How to search a file by its partial name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a file named IMG_20151218_0001.pdf. How can search it when I only remember it has 1218 as a part of the file name? Thanks. I tried some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yma16, Dec 17, 2015.

1. yma16 Win User

How to search a file by its partial name?

Hi,

I have a file named IMG_20151218_0001.pdf. How can search it when I only remember it has 1218 as a part of the file name? Thanks. I tried some of the searches and the result is empty, such as filename:"*1218*", *1218*, and "*1218*".

Thank you.

:)

yma16, Dec 17, 2015

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Search malfunction

I have files with PA2584 as part of their name. If I search for 2584, nothing is found. If I search for PA2584, the files are found. Why isn't the partial string 2584 found? How can I get the search to work for this?

LauraSchneider2, Dec 17, 2015
  3. OldW7Guy Win User
    File Explorer Search fails wildcard partial numeric name search.

When I enter ~ in the Search box, ALL files in the folder and sub-folder are listed, when I add " in the Search box the file list is replaced by No items match your search. Adding other characters to ~" has no affect.

Both my wife's Windows 10 Home 64-bit and my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit have the same result. Both systems have Explorer.exe 6/30/2016 but times and size vary.

What version of Windows are you using?

OldW7Guy, Dec 17, 2015
  4. How to search a file by its partial name?

Does it work if you search for *1218?

graystreet, Dec 17, 2015
  5. telepro21 Win User
    Since you know that the file is a .pdf format, one idea would be to limit the search in the following way:
    search for *1218*.pdf
    The * character used as wildcards allow for any characters before or after the 1218 and the .pdf limits the actual searching to only Portable Document Format files (pdf's).
    Another way would be to search with these criteria: IMG*1218*.*
    This would find all file types (the portion of the file name after the last dot which contained IMG and 1218

Just my two cents.

Hope this helps.

telepro21, Dec 17, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, recommend using locate32 (freeware)

If you can't recall the location - it works
    If you want to do wild card searches, you get 'instantaneous' results as you type the search string.

It builds an index (you can have multiple indices) and you can easily specify limits on the range of your search. (E.g. partition, folder)...

Add to that date range, size and the ability to search within some text files..

Logical operators, reg. expressions supported.

dalchina, Dec 17, 2015
  7. I used locate32 during my XP days and it was great but it is not being updated much these days so for Windows 10 I have moved on to Everything Search Engine which is still being actively developed
    • Totally free (donations accepted)
    • Small installation file
    • Clean and simple user interface
    • Quick file indexing
    • Quick searching
    • Minimal resource usage
    • Share files with others easily
    • Real-time updating
    • Much more .......
    There is also a Portable version so you can test it and if it's not what you want then simply delete the folder

FrillyBits, Dec 18, 2015
  8. WildOne Win User

Have you tried just 1218 in the search box or icon located next to start button....change the setting to search just your PC. Seems to work for me when I'm looking for something.

WildOne, Dec 18, 2015
  9. yma16 Win User
    using *1218*.pdf under My stuff did not find the file

yma16, Dec 18, 2015
  10. I have also experienced missing files when using wildcard search. Hoping this gets fixed.

To limit the results, and speed up the search, start the search with name:

nigelmercier, Dec 18, 2015
  11. WildOne Win User

WildOne, Dec 18, 2015
  12. poolmon Win User
    Are you searching your entire "C" drive (assuming it's your only drive) and not just a folder under it?
    I have often found that when I cannot locate a file, the search was being limited to some specific folder like "My Documents" as opposed to the entire drive.

You could also search the entire drive for "*.pdf" and check in the list you get back.

poolmon, Dec 18, 2015
  13. yma16 Win User

no.

yma16, Dec 20, 2015
  14. yma16 Win User
    I put the word in "Search the web and Windows" box and clicked My stuff button. I assumed it should search the entire c drive. I use windows 10.

yma16, Dec 20, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    I think you'll find a Cortana search like that only searches what's been indexed. So if it's not indexed, it's not found.
    Hint at the bottom: 'Other places to look' - includes explorer. Hmm.

Don't use Windows search- it's slow and clunky. 'Everything' by voidtools, or 'Locate32'. Far handier and much much faster. They build a complete index very fast and offer conditional search with regular expressions etc.

And did I say free?

dalchina, Dec 20, 2015
Thema:

1. How to search a file by its partial name? - Similar Threads - search file partial

2. How do i search for a file on onedrive with a space in its name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i search for a file on onedrive with a space in its name?: I have a file somewhere on my one drive named exactly with the space D5_TRK 6.xlsm.If i enter exactly D5_TRK 6.xlsm in the search bar, many results with many different names come up beyond just that file.If i put quotes around it like this "D5_TRK.xlsm 6" ==> then 0 results...
  3. How do i search for a file on onedrive with a space in its name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i search for a file on onedrive with a space in its name?: I have a file somewhere on my one drive named exactly with the space D5_TRK 6.xlsm.If i enter exactly D5_TRK 6.xlsm in the search bar, many results with many different names come up beyond just that file.If i put quotes around it like this "D5_TRK.xlsm 6" ==> then 0 results...
  4. Windows search partially working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows search partially working: I've got an interesting situation, I have a windows server with multiple drives and multiple file shares, about once a week windows search stops working on just one drive (C:) searching anything on that drive returns white unclickable icons and wrong metadata (like file...
  5. Searching exact filename, not partial

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching exact filename, not partial: I have many files and few of them ends in two different ways. "[#Z Karaoke]" and "[Z Karaoke]" If I want to search only the "#Z Karaoke" but NOT show the "Z Karaoke" , How I do that? If I write "[#Z Karaoke]"or "[#Z", both file names, with the # and without the # comes...
  6. Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why cant the File Search function search for files using partial names?: Something that has plagued me since I began using Windows 10 is how awful the file search function is. In EVERY case I use the file search function it is to locate a specific file within a singular folder with only a partial name, and each time I was mystified as to why it...
  7. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files names with numbers: HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see...
  8. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  9. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 search partial name