Windows 10: How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

Discus and support How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I am after some help, this question has been asked several times in the community but the suggestions are not working so I will ask again maybe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TavaszTavasz, Dec 7, 2020.

1. How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

Hi, I am after some help, this question has been asked several times in the community but the suggestions are not working so I will ask again maybe somebody found a workaround.

Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents?

I am searching daily through 1000 different word files, and often I need to find something specific.

For eg "blue wood sign", if I type in this 3-word text it will find me all the documents that CONTAIN wood, blue, and sign.

What is the trick of searching for an exact phrase?

I have tried so far these suggestions from the community

putting it in "" "blue wood sign"

repeating the phrase "blue wood sign" "blue wood sign"

content: "blue wood sign"

or simply tried blue wood sign

Each of these ideas searches for every single word. Or if you can advise some different programs to download/buy that will be able to do this.

Please help me out

Thank you

:)

TavaszTavasz, Dec 7, 2020
  2. Tim490 Win User

searching windows explorer 10 file contents for exact phrase

Previous to Windows 10 I was able to search the contents of all files in a folder for a specific phrase by hitting control F, choosing the option to search for a phrase, and simply typing the phrase into the search box.

In Windows 10 I have discovered how to search the content of the files (instead of just the file names) by starting my search with content:

However, if what I am searching for is a phrase instead of just a single word it finds all files with any of the words in the phrase instead of the entire phrase intact. I have tried adding quotes and it does not make a difference.

For example, say I want to search for the phrase "windows explorer help"

If I search for content: windows explorer help or content: "windows explorer help" it will return all files that contain any of the words windows, explorer, or help.

Does anybody know how I can search the contents of the files in a folder for an entire intact phrase as I was able to in previous versions?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Tim490, Dec 7, 2020
  3. Windows 10 explorer not searching for exact phrases

I had windows 10 in the past and did not have this problem. I recently purchased a new laptop, and I cannot get the file explorer to search for exact phrases. I have tried indexing, quotation marks, content: (phrase), running the troubleshooter, and changing
    file explorer search options. I cannot keep this laptop if this continues. Please help.

citizensnips1111, Dec 7, 2020
  4. emanymton Win User

How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

Windows 10 - How to search an exact phrase in file contents?

To search for an exact phrase within a file, type “content:” and then the word/phrase. For example,
    content:”feet smell like scallions”

emanymton, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

1. How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer - Similar Threads - search EXACT PHRASE

2. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  3. Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching for a specific phrase >1000 in file explorer: Hi there, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I am trying to search for the phrase ">1000" in 1000's of word documents. If I search for >1000 or even just the > symbol in the file contents it brings up almost every document listed. Is this because the search...
  4. Windows Explorer - search file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer - search file contents?: I hate to point out something Mac does better, but... when I do a regular system search for a string, like "Events data updates every 2 mintues.\nSeconds since last" OS X will pull up every file with that exact string in its contents. When I try to search something like that...
  5. Since I started using Win 10 home or work computer, search of file contents exact phrase...

in Cortana
    Since I started using Win 10 home or work computer, search of file contents exact phrase...: This is really a problem because I need always to search for names and addresses in files, and order makes a great difference in these cases. I use a portuguese version, but I was searching in English posts because I thought it would be easy to find a solution in those...
  6. How to search for exact match in file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to search for exact match in file contents?: Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods...
  7. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents: When searching file contents for an exact phrase buy using quotes such as "site assessment" the search results includeall files that contain the words and "site" or "assessment" and not the exact phrase. How do you limit the search results to exactly what is typed in quotes?...
  8. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  9. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....
  10. why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?

in Cortana
    why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?: So I have XP and Win 10, XP search works just fine, so much so that I put any files I want to search on a USB to have XP find what I need. SO WHY DOES WIN 10 Search SUCK? It does not matter if you use quotes or not, if there is a space in the search phrase it ALWAYS...