Windows 10: How to search for a file?

Discus and support How to search for a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is getting crazy. Having migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I now find that I cannot search for files. I select "This PC", type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Swifty Win User

How to search for a file?

This is getting crazy. Having migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I now find that I cannot search for files. I select "This PC", type "bpextract.dat" in the search box, press enter and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

:)

Swifty, Aug 12, 2015

2. How to search for a contact

How to search for a contact

Danny L. - WP7 Support, Aug 12, 2015
  3. How to search for a contact

You can start typing a contact name from any of the Home screens to open the search app.

Alternatively, you can press the SEARCH key on your keyboard.

When searching for names which appear frequently in your contacts list, such as Chris/Christopher/Christina or Andrew/Andre/Andrea, I am not seeing your desired contact on screen after typing their name.
    TIP: Consider a contact named John Doe. Rather than typing “John D” or “Doe”. You can quickly bring up this contact by typing “Jo d” or “jo do” or “j do” or even “j d”. The addition of using a SPACE between letters allows you to search your contacts
    quickly.

Danny L. - WP7 Support, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

That is the way that I do it with Windows 10. Alternately you can just press the Windows button on your keyboard and start typing your file name. Either way works perfectly with Windows 10.

Rocky, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Swifty Win User
    Hmmm... I'm getting a bit fed up with all these responses saying "works perfectly with Windows 10". See ANY-Web Community Websites

I'll withhold judgement until Microsoft UK's support has had a chance to fix some of the plethora of problems that beset me after migrating to Windows 10.

Going back to Windows 7, and staying there until I'm in my grave is looking very tempting at the moment.

Swifty, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Torquemada, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Rocky Win User
    But did you even try it? If you did, what happened?

Rocky, Aug 13, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

first I set the taskbar search to show search icon[right click on the taskbar to do that] then when I search it says search the web next to the file name I put in ,but there is a my stuff icon near the bottom I click that it finds the file ,the same file that when I went to thispc ,and searched it found nothing

caperjack, Aug 13, 2015
  9. toadstool Win User
    I second Agent Ransack! My go to program and its super quick!

toadstool, Aug 13, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I prefer Everything Search for finding files by almost any piece of the name or ext.
    AgentRansack if I have to search in files for something.

Ztruker, Aug 13, 2015
  11. Swifty Win User
    I tried that, and it found my files "bpextract.dat". So, just for the fun of it, I searched "This PC" as well, and that also found the files. It did, however, take about two minutes before any results appeared.

Yesterday, it wasn't switching from the "This PC" view to the (initially) blank search results. Today, it does.

I think that the windows search function is similar to office photocopiers... they have a chip inside that detects stress. When stress is detected, they activate the "jam paper" function.

Yesterday, the Windows search could detect that I was very stressed (something had just changed my password, and I was facing the loss of all my EFS encrypted files) so it decided to play up.

Swifty, Aug 13, 2015
  12. Try both of the softwares mentioned you may get a faster result. You can always uninstall 'em. But first thing, do a back up somewhere external if possible, saves a lot of tears.

Torquemada, Aug 13, 2015
  13. Willie Win User

I know I'm late to the party but I 'third' Agent Ransack. I've used it for years and it's one of the essential utilities I install on all my Windows PCs. It's so fast and much more capable than the built in search.

Willie, Nov 24, 2015
  14. Swifty Win User
    If I had my way, my middle name would be "Backup".
    I run backups every night. There is a cascade of disks, two USB desktop drives, then a Drobo disk array. Then finally, a backup via FTP to a server in my friend's garage, about 13 miles away.
    I started my career in the IT department of a local hospital. Their backups were unreliable, so I wrote them a backup program that was not only extremely reliable, but about 30 times faster than what they had before.

Swifty, Jul 31, 2016
  15. Rocky Win User
    What do you back up, your data or your system?

Rocky, Jul 31, 2016
Thema:

1. How to search for a file? - Similar Threads - search file

2. Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...: Windows 11 file explorer doesn't have explanations of search options. I was trying to find favorited videos and pictures in file explorer and there was no pop up explaining what the search options were or even any way to get search help within windows 11 file explorer. This...
  3. Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...: Windows 11 file explorer doesn't have explanations of search options. I was trying to find favorited videos and pictures in file explorer and there was no pop up explaining what the search options were or even any way to get search help within windows 11 file explorer. This...
  4. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  5. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  6. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...: when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file name is too long, and we can't adjust the description column size also....
  8. when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...

when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file...: when we search anything in the folder, it is not showing full name of the file when file name is too long, and we can't adjust the description column size also....
  9. File Explorer: how can i search for a file by two nonconsecutive words

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: how can i search for a file by two nonconsecutive words: I am trying to locate files in my "Users" folder that have two specific words in them. Here is what I mean:Any type of file.Title of file that has "payment" and "register" in it.These two words may or may not be consecutive in the file name.For example:2023 June register of...
  10. File Explorer: how can i search for a file by two nonconsecutive words

File Explorer: how can i search for a file by two nonconsecutive words: I am trying to locate files in my "Users" folder that have two specific words in them. Here is what I mean:Any type of file.Title of file that has "payment" and "register" in it.These two words may or may not be consecutive in the file name.For example:2023 June register of...