Windows 10: How to search for exact match in file contents?

Discus and support How to search for exact match in file contents? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hudson4351, Apr 28, 2020.

1. How to search for exact match in file contents?

Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods based on my search results:

1. enclosing the search phrase in double quotes
    2. enclosing the search phrase in double quotes and repeating it (e.g. "foo" "foo")
    3. prefixing the search phrase enclosed in double quotes with "content:" (without the double quotes)

In each case, Windows returns the logical OR of the search results rather than an exact match. If I right click on the folder and go to "Advanced", the "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is checked. How do I perform an exact match search on the contents of files?

Another possibly related thing I've noticed is that if I go to Control Panel -> "Indexing Options" -> "Modify", the folder I'm searching in doesn't have a checkmark next to it in the "Indexed Locaitons" window, even though Windows is clearly able to read the files' contents when searching.

submitted by /u/hudson4351
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hudson4351, Apr 28, 2020

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Apr 28, 2020
  3. emanymton Win User
    Windows 10 - How to search an exact phrase in file contents?

To search for an exact phrase within a file, type “content:” and then the word/phrase. For example,
    content:”feet smell like scallions”

emanymton, Apr 28, 2020
  4. How to search for exact match in file contents?

Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents

When searching file contents for an exact phrase by using quotes such as "site assessment" the search results include
    all files that contain the words "site" or "assessment" and not the exact phrase.

How do you limit the search results to exactly what is typed in quotes? Need help ASAP!!! Thank you!

JonathanPM, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

How to search for exact match in file contents?

1. How to search for exact match in file contents? - Similar Threads - search exact match

2. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  3. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  4. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer: Hi, I am after some help, this question has been asked several times in the community but the suggestions are not working so I will ask again maybe somebody found a workaround. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents? I am searching daily through 1000...
  6. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

Windows Explorer search - find the exact match: I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name. How to turn off this annoying behavior?...
  7. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents

Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents: When searching file contents for an exact phrase buy using quotes such as "site assessment" the search results includeall files that contain the words and "site" or "assessment" and not the exact phrase. How do you limit the search results to exactly what is typed in quotes?...
  8. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  9. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

File Explorer search results show non-exact matches: When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files: 1) M990-03-02 2) M990-02-03 Why is -02-03 appearing? I tried to wrap the search term in double quotes ("m990-03-02") however both files still appear in the search results. Is there a setting...
  10. why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?

in Cortana
    why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?: So I have XP and Win 10, XP search works just fine, so much so that I put any files I want to search on a USB to have XP find what I need. SO WHY DOES WIN 10 Search SUCK? It does not matter if you use quotes or not, if there is a space in the search phrase it ALWAYS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 folder search exact match