Windows 10: How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders

Discus and support How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Explorer does not behave as expected. (Windows 10 Version 2004) A search in File Explorer in Windows 10 always shows files of subfolders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by werwoMS, Nov 6, 2020.

1. werwoMS Win User

How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders

My Windows 10 Explorer does not behave as expected. (Windows 10 Version 2004)

A search in File Explorer in Windows 10 always shows files of subfolders even if I click on 'Current folders'.

The German Microsoft support could not help in a long telephone call.

I ran "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" as admin. No problems were found.

Does anyone have a clue?

:)

werwoMS, Nov 6, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 6, 2020
  3. scottyja Win User
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

So here's a picture of the file in it's folder:

How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders [​IMG]

Even weirder - if I search from c:, I can find the file:

If I drill down to *any* sub-folder (in this case Users), no dice:

If I search for *any* file named "IMG*", which there are thousands, I get nothing, even when doing the search from the folder the files are in:

I get similar behavior with mp3 or mp4 files. If I search the whole c: or e:, I can find thousands. Drill down to my User directories and nothing comes up. This is a head scratcher.

Search reset has not helped.

scottyja, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Aeikausar Win User

File Explorer - List / View all files in subfolders of a folder

In File Explorer, Is there any way to list/view all files in subfolders of a folder, without using command line or windows search? Thank you

Aeikausar, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

1. How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders - Similar Threads - Search File Explorer

2. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Search All Subfolders: I have Windows 10 and when searching folders in file explorer my default was always to search all folders and subfolders. Now it defaults to just search the current folder. I can choose subfolders from the ribbon but I desperately want to set all subfolders as the default...
  3. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search All Subfolders: I have Windows 10 and when searching folders in file explorer my default was always to search all folders and subfolders. Now it defaults to just search the current folder. I can choose subfolders from the ribbon but I desperately want to set all subfolders as the default...
  4. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder: Good afternoon, Unfortunately, windows search does not show files in google drive. It does show the folder names but not files. One drive files show up no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  6. File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?

File Explorer view subfolder contents without clicking on every subfolder?: In file explorer we have several folders and subfolders set up. Some never get populated while others do. Is there a way when starting at the first folder to see contents of subfolders without having to click all of them and determine which are populated and which are empty?...
  7. File search in Windows 10 Explorer

File search in Windows 10 Explorer: How do I search file contents for keywords that contain special characters (i.e., ':') in Explorer? I've enabled Search File Contents in the Advanced Search Options, but search does not return anything if my key word contains non-alphanumeric characters, such as colon (:)...
  8. Search in file explorer - windows 10

in Cortana
    Search in file explorer - windows 10: Hello. Is it possible to search in file explorer (windows 10) for specific files based on a time, but not date? Regards, Leif https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-file-explorer-windows-10/807da9a3-2e13-4c8c-b394-298a8acb7a78"
  9. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...
  10. Search in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Search in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 The Search Box in File Explorer allows you to find and view all your files and folders in one place. As you type in the Search Box, a simple search through the index begins to...