Windows 10: How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016)

Discus and support How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just started using a computer with Windows 10 and Word 2016. I inserted a thumb drive containing hundreds of WPD files, and copied them to My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SteveRA, Dec 18, 2017.

1. SteveRA Win User

How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016)

I just started using a computer with Windows 10 and Word 2016. I inserted a thumb drive containing hundreds of WPD files, and copied them to My Documents. I then converted them to Word.

Here is the problem: I need to be able to search the converted files for certain terms (so I can cut and paste into new Word documents text containing the search term). But I can't. I even went to the file explorer and changed the search settings, but that didn't help.

I would appreciate any help. Ideally, I could search my entire My Documents folder (which contains converted and non-converted Word files) for any given search term by entering into a search box or whatnot, and somehow be able to "preview" the found documents to see if the search term is utilized in the way I'm looking for.

:)

SteveRA, Dec 18, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

How to search WPD documents converted to Word (2016)

Did you make sure that Windows re-indexed the drive after adding the file type?

Do you have WordPerfect installed on the machine? If not, take a look at this article and try installing the iFilter tool it mentions. It is supposed to enable Windows to index WordPerfect files

http://www.wordperfect.com/en/pages/items/88000...

Rohn007, Dec 18, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    How to search WPD documents converted to Word (2016)

The feature you are looking for is Windows 10 indexing. That will allow you to use the Windows 10 start menu / cortana to search for text.

You need to make sure your folder is included in the indexing list and the files types are indexed (should already be). This article give some basic instructions. Make sure that in advanced options the option to "Index Properties and file contents" is selected.

https://www.technig.com/windows-10-indexing-opt...

What is WPD format? Is that Word Perfect? I don't see it in the list of file types to be indexed so you won't be able to search therm until you convert them to Word format.

Rohn007, Dec 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. What format are your documents now?
    2. Is the folder in which they are indexed? (Search for Index in Settings -> Indexing Options)
    3. Make sure that content indexing is specified (properties etc).
    4. Is the appropriate ifilter (index filter) available? (here you can see mine for doc and docx)

How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016) [​IMG]

5. Has indexing been completed? (You can try adding one file and watching for the number of indexed items to increment)
    6. How are you searching?
    - using Cortana?
    - using the search field in file explorer?

Please post appropriate screenshots to explain your situation and where you're up to.

dalchina, Dec 22, 2017
  5. SteveRA Win User
    Thanks for responding! I actually solved the problem by using a program named Doxillion.

SteveRA, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to search WPD files converted to Word (2016) - Similar Threads - search WPD files

2. How to Convert a PDF file to Excel version 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Convert a PDF file to Excel version 2016: I have a PDF file which contains a table of many entries which I require totals for each columnI have Excel 2016 and I wish to convert the PDF file to Excel so that I can work with the dataI understand this function available in Adobe purchased copy .I would appreciate any...
  3. How to Convert a PDF file to Excel version 2016

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Convert a PDF file to Excel version 2016: I have a PDF file which contains a table of many entries which I require totals for each columnI have Excel 2016 and I wish to convert the PDF file to Excel so that I can work with the dataI understand this function available in Adobe purchased copy .I would appreciate any...
  4. How to Convert a PDF file to Excel version 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Converts PDF file to Word Automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converts PDF file to Word Automatically: Each time I download and/or save a PDF my computer saves it as a Word file--everytime. It used to save them as Adobe files, and I have the latest Adobe reader. A month ago, this changed, and I have not been able to reverse it. I hope someone can help me get rid of this...
  6. Converts PDF file to Word Automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converts PDF file to Word Automatically: Each time I download and/or save a PDF my computer saves it as a Word file--everytime. It used to save them as Adobe files, and I have the latest Adobe reader. A month ago, this changed, and I have not been able to reverse it. I hope someone can help me get rid of this...
  7. convert *.wpf file to *.doc word file

convert *.wpf file to *.doc word file: How can I convert old WordPerfect *.WFP files to Word *.DOC files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-wpf-file-to-doc-word-file/0752f9eb-baf6-4d6b-9816-93530495ea8a
  8. how to convert windows7 word files to windows10

how to convert windows7 word files to windows10: how to convert windows7 word files to windows10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-windows7-word-files-to-windows10/6e8e8e78-c79e-4e7e-835a-17a7ae0d0ae5
  9. HOW TO CONVERT A PDF FILE TO A WORD DOC

HOW TO CONVERT A PDF FILE TO A WORD DOC: HOW TO CONVERT A PDF FILE TO A WORD DOC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-pdf-file-to-a-word-doc/f6e14f1a-edb7-4c1d-a8a2-e8827e947337"
  10. Searching for "Word 2016" gives unrecognised apps

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Searching for "Word 2016" gives unrecognised apps: Hi I have installed Office recently. Some of the shortcut when I searched for it giving unrecongized shortcut. I can't click or right click on it. I can't find this shortcut on WindowsApps folder either. [img] [img] 107375