Windows 10: How to securely donate CPU time using Windows Sandbox

Discus and support How to securely donate CPU time using Windows Sandbox in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]In this world, computing power leads to miracles. Computing power can play a major role in solving problems that revolve us around. This is one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 8, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to securely donate CPU time using Windows Sandbox

WinClub, Apr 8, 2020

2. Windows Sandbox and Intel CPU Speculative side channel vulnerabilities

Hi.

I've yet to try Windows 10 version 1903 (waiting for the final version to roll out). However I'm aware of the new Windows Sandbox feature and I'm excited about it.

I do have a question though.

In the light of the recent side channel speculative execution vulnerabilities of the Intel chips, be it Meltdown, Spectre, Spoiler, MDS, ZombieLoad, etc. - do they have the potential to weaken the sandbox security?

I am aware that Windows Sandbox will base itself on Hyper-V, but if these speculative execution vulnerabilities in Intel chips continue to unravel, do they have the possibility to affect the sandbox security by design?

Will future cpu flaws of this type render the windows sandbox security useless? Are there any permanent mitigations that could help prevent sandbox escape or data leaks from the sandbox via a speculative execution vulnerability?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

LaurFlorin, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    No internet connection on Windows Sandbox

Hello bvonr,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Ideally, if your computer is connected to the internet, even the Sandbox has to be connected. There is no extra setting to turn on/off internet for Sandbox. Few issues regarding network connection on Virtual machines and Sandbox has been resolved
    just by updating to the latest build. Kindly check with the steps listed below and see if it works.

Method 1: Disable Antivirus software.

I would suggest you to disable all the security software applications (e.g. Norton, McAfee) that are installed on your host (main) machine. It could be blocking the internet connection, so disable it and see if the issue persists.

Disclaimer: If you have Windows 10, you’ll get the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is on and actively helping to protect
    your PC by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC. Windows Update downloads updates for Windows Defender automatically to help keep
    your PC safe and protect it from threats.

If the above suggestions doesn’t fix, kindly check with the method 2.

Method 2: Disable and enable the Sandbox feature from Control Panel.

Go to Control Panel >
    Programs
    > Programs and Features > from the left top, select
    Turn Windows features on or off > Scroll down to Sandbox, disable and enable it to check if it works.

Additionally, you may also refer to the suggestions provided in the article on
    Windows Sandbox has NO Internet when the
    host is connected to a VPN

Please let us know the results. We are glad to help you further if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Apr 8, 2020
  4. bvonr Win User

No internet connection on Windows Sandbox

Thanks so much for the info. I disabled Norton Auto Protect and Smart Firewall and sure enough I had internet on Sandbox. I am questioning why Norton would block the Ethernet adapters in Sandbox though??? Do you know what settings I need to change in Norton
    to allow the Sandbox to work right by any chance. If not don't worry, now that I know what the problem is I will talk to Norton. Again Thanks How to securely donate CPU time using Windows Sandbox :)

bvonr, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

1. How to securely donate CPU time using Windows Sandbox - Similar Threads - securely donate CPU

2. Windows update using cpu for short time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update using cpu for short time: Hello, so host service of windows update using cpu for short time like 1-2 minutes then it turns off, but after restarting the pc the same thing happens. There are no windows updates for me. I tried many things to disable this issue but nothing helps. Can anyone help me?...
  3. Windows update using cpu for short time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update using cpu for short time: Hello, so host service of windows update using cpu for short time like 1-2 minutes then it turns off, but after restarting the pc the same thing happens. There are no windows updates for me. I tried many things to disable this issue but nothing helps. Can anyone help me?...
  4. Windows update using cpu for short time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Sandbox - Unable to change or adjust system time on sandbox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Sandbox - Unable to change or adjust system time on sandbox: Hello Everyone, I am new at using the built-in windows sandbox, so I am not sure whether sandbox is the correct tool. I am smoke testing a forecasting program that uses the system clock local time. When I change the date and time in the sandbox instance using either the...
  6. Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?

in Windows 10 Support
    Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?: Hi all, This community has become a very important and integral part of my life. Knowing this, I feel like making a donation would be the right thing to do. I've asked this in the past, but I thought things may have changed. Thank you. 166524
  7. Using camera with Windows Sandbox

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using camera with Windows Sandbox: Hi, I'm trying to use my camera with Windows Sandbox but it isn't working. How can I fix the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-camera-with-windows-sandbox/47c1765b-85ce-47fc-957c-b82d1ef5d13b
  8. Securely donate CPU time with Windows Sandbox

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Securely donate CPU time with Windows Sandbox: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jenmsft [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fwal7m/securely_donate_cpu_time_with_windows_sandbox/
  9. Windows sandbox-anyone used it?

Windows sandbox-anyone used it?: Hi folks, I have windows 10 pro due to having upgraded initially from windows 8 pro that was on a special offer of £14.99 from Microsoft years ago. Just discovered that I can turn on windows sandbox, doesn't come with Home version, and have done so, seems ok though a little...
  10. Sandbox Windows Defender and be more secure

Sandbox Windows Defender and be more secure: I didn't know I could use Windows Defender in a sandbox and increase my PC's security. Open a command prompt window with admin privileges and run the following command: setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1 Restart your PC and you're done....