Windows 10: How to select 'browser apps' as default apps for opening documents/files?

Discus and support How to select 'browser apps' as default apps for opening documents/files? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As most people know, browsers like Google Chrome and probably the new MS Edge can 'create' applications for some websites like Gmail, Outlook, OneNote,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BobCosta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. BobCosta Win User

How to select 'browser apps' as default apps for opening documents/files?

As most people know, browsers like Google Chrome and probably the new MS Edge can 'create' applications for some websites like Gmail, Outlook, OneNote, etc.

I'm using a lot of these Apps, some of them are from Google, like Documents and Sheets.

My question is, how I change Windows default Apps to be the Web Apps?

When changing the default app in advanced options "by file type" I can select Chrome, or I can select the Chrome App, let's say Chrome Docs for .doc, .docx files.

The problem is that it just doesn't work. Chrome opens, not the web app.

Looking at the App properties it's clear that it launches a Chrome instance in its own window, but doesn't work for Windows Default Apps.

Destiny: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome_proxy.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=bojccfnmcnekjgjhcaklmcgofnngpjcl

Start: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application"

How to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

:)

BobCosta, Mar 14, 2019
  2. shytot Win User

Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Mar 14, 2019
  3. App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Hitkary Win User

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Thank for your reply. But problem is to set default app, there is only one option "look app for this file in app store" and there is no app in app store that can open the file.

Hitkary, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How to select 'browser apps' as default apps for opening documents/files? - Similar Threads - select 'browser apps'

2. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  3. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove the default app that opens files?: I want to remove Google Chrome from automatically opening this .pak file I need for a game. Any way I can remove it somehow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-the-default-app-that-opens-files/ebcb9bc3-e120-44a5-ad96-12d8f1cd89ba
  4. How to remove the default app that opens files?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  6. Google apps not selectable for default apps

Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  7. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Default apps for opening files

Default apps for opening files: How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu? I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures...
  9. Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Default Apps will not allow me to select Opera Browser.: Hi, Yesterday I downloaded the new Opera 36 Browser. I like the look of it and would like to trial it for a while. However when I attempted to set it as default in Settings/Default Apps it will not accept the Opera Icon. I visited select defaults for Apps and ticked access...
  10. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chrome_proxy.exe