Windows 10: How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings

Discus and support How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello. I have a 1050 ti and a 2080 ti in my system to resolve a seperate issue with multi-monitors and DisplayLink. Now I have a different issue I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by emperornero, Aug 2, 2020.

1. How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings

Hello.

I have a 1050 ti and a 2080 ti in my system to resolve a seperate issue with multi-monitors and DisplayLink.

Now I have a different issue I am trying to solve.

GPU 0 in my system is the 1050 ti
    GPU 1 in my system is the 2080 ti

I want to be able to specify that all apps except the ones I tell to run on the 2080 ti run on the 1050 ti. However, Windows has a different idea.

As you can see in the first attachment, things like Brave and Messages are running on GPU 1. I do not want them to run on the 2080 ti, I want them to run on the 1050 ti.

How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings [​IMG]

However, my dilemma is that as you can see in the second screenshot, my only GPU choice options are the 2080 ti for BOTH Power Saving and High Performance.

How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings [​IMG]

How can I change the registry to change the Power Saving GPU? I am able to succesfully switch apps over to being run by the 1050 ti by disabling the 2080 ti and then reenabling it, but god forbid i have to do that any time something just decides to open up on the 2080 ti afterwards by it's own volition.

I'm on the latest version of Windows, Build 19041

:)

emperornero, Aug 2, 2020
  2. keyvis Win User

Select GPU to use by specific applications

I've said that I've tried it, and explained that for me specific GPUs are not available to select there. I have only available Power Saving and High Performance presets there that are set for the same GFX card (GeForce GTX 1060) for me,
    that is system default too. In NVidia on AMD settings you can only switch between integrated and dedicated GFX card, not between 2 cards especially from 2 different vendors. So, how to assign different GFX card to Power Saving preset? Or how to unlock option
    to select specific GFX card there besides those 2 presets?

keyvis, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Aug 2, 2020
  4. How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings

Select GPU to use by specific applications

Hello Keyvis,

Windows 10 version 1803 added the Graphics
    settings that can modify which graphics card is to be used for each app.

1. Click the Start button, type Graphics
      settings
      and then hit Enter.
    2. Choose between Classic app or Universal
      app (Windows Store Apps).
    3. Select desired app and then click Add.
    4. Select the app from the list and then click Options.
    5. Set the graphics preference for the app and then click Save to complete.

If you're unable to modify the preferred graphics preference using the method above, you can try to access the graphics program for each graphics card,
    Nvidia Control Panel, and AMD Radeon Settings. I suggest visiting the device manufacturer's support website for assistance on how to use their respective program to modifying the preferred graphics settings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Devlin Sco, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings

1. How to select GPU for apps using registry instead of Settings - Similar Threads - select GPU apps

2. Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings: My applications won't properly use my dedicated graphics card. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, but I don't recall for how long. There's a similar thread of someone that has had the same issue but it didn't resolve anything for me. My computer specs are here in a...
  3. Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Integrated GPU being used instead of dedicated GPU regardless of settings: My applications won't properly use my dedicated graphics card. This has been an ongoing issue for a while, but I don't recall for how long. There's a similar thread of someone that has had the same issue but it didn't resolve anything for me. My computer specs are here in a...
  4. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings: Problem: Windows does not allow me to choose which GPU to use for applications. Back in the day, this was done through Nvidia Control Panel. Windows will only show the GPU which the primary monitor has been connected to. I AM NOT trying to SLI these cards, I am trying to...
  5. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings: Problem: Windows does not allow me to choose which GPU to use for applications. Back in the day, this was done through Nvidia Control Panel. Windows will only show the GPU which the primary monitor has been connected to. I AM NOT trying to SLI these cards, I am trying to...
  6. Unable to select GPU in Windows Graphics Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. GPU selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU selection: Hi I was wondering to get a Graphics card but I don't particularly know which brand to get.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME LIKE SOME THE BEST GPU BRANDS Can someone please help me?...
  8. Using onboard Realitec Sound instead of GPU.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using onboard Realitec Sound instead of GPU.: Hi,I have an onboard 5.1 Asrock B83 Pro3 Realtek sound card with an PCIe Nvidia GPU. In the audio settings the onboard sound is not picked up and only refers to Nvidia HD Audio. Please assist in what drivers, software changes to install to get use the onboard sound card....
  9. Select GPU to use by specific applications

Select GPU to use by specific applications: have 2 GFX cards installed: GeForce GTX 1060 and Radeon HD 7850. Both are working fine as I plugged in different monitors to different cards to be sure about it. I want to force some applications to use Radeon HD 7850 instead of GeForce GTX 1060, but I can't find a way to do...
  10. Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?

Change selected GPU in Graphic Settings?: I have 2 GPU: [ATTACH] Applications can see both, and the ones that have the config let me change the GPU in the options, working just fine. But most applications don't have this option. But since Aprils update, now Windows 10 has an option called the Graphic Settings,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvidia registry preferred gpu

2. windows 10 set gpu order in the registy