Windows 10: How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

Discus and support How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mta3006, Feb 3, 2019.

1. mta3006 Win User

How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I know, it is an antique, but it still works!) connected via USB A to Centronics Parallel Printer Adapter. This utility consists mainly of two .PRN files, one of which you print about 3 copies, then turn the pages over so that the printed sides get re-fused and clean off the fuser rollers as they exit (they also use a LOT of toner, so that the HP guys make a lot of money!)

Problems are, the executable does not run in any compatibility mode for W10, the batch file doesn't work either.
    Trying to simply send the file directly to printer has failed so far thusly:

copy hppass1.prn /B prn
    copy hppass1.prn /B USB001
    copy hppass1.prn /b \\computername\printername

Now I know I have forgotten a lot of DOS and other command line syntax, but can anyone correct me here? I have even tried drag/drop the file onto the printer icon in Printers and Devices, and onto a shortcut to the same printer copied to desktop. No joy. What have I missed?

:)

mta3006, Feb 3, 2019
  2. LemP Win User

PRN file in C#

C# questions are beyond the scope of this consumer-oriented peer support forum.

It's not clear what you mean by "print ... as a label," but *.prn files -- in Windows at least -- are the raw output files (including printer control characters) from Windows printer drivers.

In Windows, you print a *.prn file by doing a binary copy to the printer, which must be the same model as the printer driver that produced the *.prn file.

The following is based on
    Bruce's Printing Pages

1. If the printer is connected to a port that the Command Interpreter (Command Prompt) can access (e.g., LPT1How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer? :) then from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

2. If the printer is connected by USB (which is not accessible from Command Prompt), share the printer and from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn \\servername\sharename

or you can map the share to an LPTn port and then use method 1

net use LPT1: \\servername\sharename /persistent=yes

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

LemP, Feb 3, 2019
  3. path of .prn files

Hi everyone,

I lost important .prn file that I printed from website and It contains an important reservation number.

How can I find the path for all prn files.

Thanks.

mahammedml, Feb 3, 2019
  4. How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

failing to print prn file to my printer Windows 10

Hi Don,

From the above description, I understand you are unable to print
    .prn file on Windows 10 installed computer. Please reply, is your computer connected to Domain network?

If your computer is not connected to a domain network, run Printer troubleshooter and check if the issue is caused due to any of the missing or corrupted printer components.
    Printer troubleshooter will help in identifying if any printer device components are missing or corrupted on the computer.

Refer to Fix printer problems article and check if
    it helps.

Write to us with the answer to the above question and the status of unable to print
    .prn file on the computer in the
    same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

1. How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer? - Similar Threads - send prn file

2. My Local USB connected printers removed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Local USB connected printers removed: Hello, Since about two weeks it appears that my local USB Connected printers disappear from the Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Control-panel Devices and printers. They are no longer available. If I restart my PC, one of the printers is back and available. The other printer which is...
  3. convert PRN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert PRN file: I have some documents that are in a .prn file format. Is there any app or process to convert them to .pdf or print them to a .pdf format? Really in DIRE need for this. Please reply ASAP!...
  4. Printing - .prn file?

Printing - .prn file?: When I attempt to print, I get a pop-up to save something as a .prn file and nothing is sent to my printer. I cannot print. I tried through several programs, but all of them do the same thing. This just started happening. I was able to print without issue a couple of days...
  5. .PRN file ?

in Windows 10 Support
    .PRN file ?: I notice in my Documents folder, there is a .PRN file. It is from some time ago. Can someone tell me what this is please? I think it is to do with a print job. Is it safe to delete it? Thanks. 145186
  6. Files print to prn

Files print to prn: All my print jobs go to prn files. How do I unlock everyday printing to get my printer working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-print-to/7e216e9a-2963-4ea1-b484-f72f3762d666
  7. How to disable PRN

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to disable PRN: How do you disable PRN ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable/21e00e4d-08bc-43ca-baf8-f13bde44946b"
  8. Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn): Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) How to change to print? I just updated to Win10 ver 1903. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-is-sending-output-to-a-file/6559f7a8-8bbd-4d59-b644-c4052dc48a3e
  9. Windows 10 loses local usb printers

Windows 10 loses local usb printers: Since upgrading to Windows 10 in August, I have 4 users who lose their local usb connected printers about 10 times per day. The only way to get the printers back is to restart the computer. They are not able to print from any software (Word, Wordpad, excel, etc.) when they...
  10. Sending files to a printer in PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sending files to a printer in PowerShell: In Windows 7 with the command prompt I could issue the following commands: net use lpt1 \\computer-name\printer-name /persistent:yes copy /A filename.txt lpt1 These assign the identifier lpt1 to a shared printer on a USB port. On my Windows 10 machine none of these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. print prn file to printer c# usb

2. unable to initialize device prn cmd

3. how to send a file direct to usb001

4. unable to initialise PRN in Windows 10,
  5. c# how to send prn to a usb port,
  6. unable to initialize device prn Win 10 command