Windows 10: How to set a default app for extensions?

Discus and support How to set a default app for extensions? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TylerRogers1, Dec 6, 2018.

1. How to set a default app for extensions?

Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it.

:)

TylerRogers1, Dec 6, 2018

2. Cant set the default app for extensions

Hi Alex,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know which app you are trying to set for
      .res extension?
    2. Could you check the app you are trying to set, if it is feasible with
      .res extension?

You may follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Setting >
      Apps.
    2. Click on Default apps.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by file type.
    4. Look for .res extension on the left pane.
    5. Across .res extension, click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Try browsing for the app.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Manjunath_H, Dec 6, 2018
  3. alexn310 Win User
    Cant set the default app for extensions

Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me

alexn310, Dec 6, 2018
  4. How to set a default app for extensions?

How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

How to set a default app for extensions?

1. How to set a default app for extensions? - Similar Threads - set default app

2. Under settings, choose default application by file extension.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Under settings, choose default application by file extension.: Under settings, choosing the default application by file extension, is very time-consuming. It has no search feature "dumb." I'm quite familiar with editing the registry "Regedit" I have looked at I cannot find where applications by extension is filed. If anybody knows,...
  3. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  4. Cant set the default app for extensions

Cant set the default app for extensions: Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-the-default-app-for-extensions/21a0939a-bac4-4bcb-bdd6-3fcbfa352d67
  5. Default apps in settings is not on the list

Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  6. Setting Default Apps, broken

Setting Default Apps, broken: Windows 10 will not let me set a default app for photo viewer. When I go in and set it, it works for about 10-15 minutes, max. Then it defaults to the Windows Photo Viewer which is not such a great program. How do I set the default viewer to stay the program I choose?...
  7. default app setting

default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  8. Setting defaults by app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...
  9. Ignoring Default App Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ignoring Default App Settings: New Windows 10 Home Computer, set up using PCMover from Windows 7 Home Premium Computer. A few problems, of course, so far mainly applications that did not transfer properly, and those easily solved. One problem however I don't understand, and, therefore, cannot fix. I've...
  10. How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension: Hello, So I practically have most of my folders that contain all types of files set up for the Details view setting. (if you right click in a folder -> View -> Details) I set all those adjustments through the Folder Options window. Yet when I open a Saved Search File...