Windows 10: How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension

Discus and support How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, So I practically have most of my folders that contain all types of files set up for the Details view setting. (if you right click in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Oct 16, 2016.

1. pepanee Win User

How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension

Hello,

So I practically have most of my folders that contain all types of files set up for the Details view setting.
    (if you right click in a folder -> View -> Details)
    I set all those adjustments through the Folder Options window.

Yet when I open a Saved Search File (a ".search-ms" extension), it always shows them as a Content view setting.
    ("right click in a folder -> View -> Content" layout). I don't want it to show using the "Content" layout; I want the "Details" layout.

If I manually set a certain ".search-ms" to look like a Details layout, that certain file only will save that setting, yet I want all of my saved searches that I have on here to show Details by default. How do I do that?

Thanks

:)

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016

2. What steps can I take to make Windows10 my default browser, google chrome my search engine, with Bing as toolbar?

collisbaker, Oct 16, 2016
  3. What steps can I take to make Windows10 my default browser, google chrome my search engine, with Bing as toolbar?

collisbaker, Oct 16, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

shimshom, Oct 16, 2016
  5. pepanee Win User
    Yes, that's exactly what I would've done for the file once I opened it, yet as you can see in the attached picture, the "Apply to Folders" button is greyed out and cannot be done.

How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension [​IMG]

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  6. pepanee Win User
    I remember fixing this view setting in Windows 8.1. This issue, as far as I can remember, was really similar in Windows 8.1.
    But what did I do to fix this? Help me remember this please.

pepanee, Oct 16, 2016
  7. shimshom Win User
    Are you opening the folders options from control panel or direct from a folder. Have a look at the tut here and take note of the comment at the top that says;
    Folder View - in Windows 8

shimshom, Oct 18, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

Thanks for the reply.

That's exactly what I have done for all the other file types that I want to show up for my default. But yes, thanks for pointing out that little note up top. Apparently the "Saved Searches" should have been included in that note. If you want, I'll give you a little example that you can try out on your computer and see what I experience. It's really simple, bare with me on it; I want you to try it out and see what I experience.

1) Go to your Desktop -> Right Click -> New -> Folder
    2) Open that folder
    3) Create 3 text files named: a.txt, b.txt & c.txt
    4) Press Ctrl+F and type: a.txt
    5) At the top of your folder, press the Search tab -> Save search
    6) Go to this folder in the Save As dialog, and save the search as: asdf
    7) Close this folder & reopen it
    8) Double click on: asdf
    9) At the top, press the View tab -> Options button
    10) Press the View tab in this new window

As you can see, both the Apply to Folders & Reset Folders buttons are greyed out. (Opening the Folder Options like we just did is attempting to apply for the ".ms-search" extension)

I don't remember what I did back in Windows 8.1 that actually worked. I guess it was some other method?

Thanks

pepanee, Oct 18, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    Create a shortcut for Search-ms, using: explorer shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}, as a non-folder associated starting point for all searches and pin it to your Taskbar.
    Invoke all searches from there.
    Set your 'View' in it and all search results will show the desired view.

How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 18, 2016
  10. pepanee Win User
    Hi, Okay I tried it this way, yet the one thing is that I don't want an icon to start off a search by.
    I already have many saved searches that I use, and I access them straight from File Explorer where they're located. It's nice and very simple. I want those search files to open using a default view.

I was looking at: Folder Template - Set Default for All Folders in Windows 8
    And I wanna maybe try it out. The thing is that if it doesn't work, I don't want to deal with reconfiguring certain custom folder view settings.

Do you know if this one works?

pepanee, Oct 18, 2016
  11. pepanee Win User
    Meh.. I'm just manually setting all 141 of them. Haha, this wouldn't be fun at all to do, but well enough, the assistance from 'medication' makes this a rather fun and enjoyable process.
    Gosh, I wish I can always have this useful 'persistence' process of thought, my productivity jumps up to over 100% of my brain's capability. But hey, life is unfair.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Set A Default View Setting For A ".search-ms" Extension - Similar Threads - Set Default View

2. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  3. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Folder View Defaults: I despise Windows Explorer, because I set the view I want for EVERY folder to open in, then MS decides, seemingly arbitrarily, to open folders or display search results in other views.Is there any way to fix this other than going to Redmond and taking the MS programmer...
  4. Setting Folder View Defaults

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default SEARCH view to DETAILS: I do many file/folder searches in my work and the search result view is always CONTENT. I would like my default search view to always be DETAIL? Windows 10 pro Any help for this would be appreciated. Thank you 163751
  6. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer: Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\...
  7. How can I set a default Windows explorer search view ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set a default Windows explorer search view ?: Hello, I'm posting this message because I've tried many solutions. I have Windows 10. When searching in the explorer windows, or from the "see more" in the windows bar search, the view (icon size, sort by and group by) is not as I would like it to be, and I can't change it....
  8. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"
  9. Cant set the default app for extensions

Cant set the default app for extensions: Im trying to set the default app for the extension .res but it wont let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-the-default-app-for-extensions/21a0939a-bac4-4bcb-bdd6-3fcbfa352d67
  10. how to reset task view to default settings?

how to reset task view to default settings?: my task view is changing to grid, how can i change it to default straight line again?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-reset-task-view-to-default-settings/0615e04f-f717-412c-8ac2-58172212340d