Windows 10: How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

Discus and support How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bencow, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Bencow Win User

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

Hi,

Dose anybody know if this is possible.

For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a "alternate" default which would be the editor and a normal double click for the player.

It seems like something they would of through of and implemented!

Any ideas?

:)

Bencow, Dec 27, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Setting default program by file type

Welcome to Ten Forums Pearson240

See this tutorial, Option Two, Step 3.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

3. dalchina Win User
    Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

Hi, a number of people have experienced difficulty with defaults not being retained.

First:
    "an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default"
    It is, unfortunately normal for Win 10 not to list all available programs that might be capable of handling a given extension.

"Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in that list:
    1) The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type
    2) At least one other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).
    If a program is the only present program capable of handling a specific file type (such as .PPT for PowerPoint files), that program will not appear in the list because there is no alternative."

You can browse to the exe of the program you want to open the file by rt click, Open With, thus:

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type. [​IMG]

Second, here are some reasons why defaults may be reset to MS defaults:
    Default programs in Win 10.doc

This old thread may also be relevant (assuming it still applies- not checked)
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...sion-windows-7

For reference:
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Dec 27, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

Default Programs

A *.MSG file is most likely an Outlook Mail message file. It should be associated with OUTLOOK rather than "Office 2013."

I assume that you've been going to "Default Programs" and then "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." See if doing it the following way fixes things:

1. Go to "Default Programs" and click on "Set your default programs"
    2. Find and select Outlook in the list of Programs
    3. Click either "Set this program as default" and click OK
    4. Alternatively, select "Choose defaults for this program" make sure that the box next to .msg is checked and then click Save

Thema:

1. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type. - Similar Threads - set Alternate Default

2. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  3. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  4. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change default app for a given file type?

How to change default app for a given file type?: The default app listing for my *.tax2020 file is polluted. The default app, Turbo Tax, is installed, but is not offered as an option in Microsoft Store. How do I reset the default other than uninstalling and re-installing?...
  6. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  7. Setting program as default for all supported file types?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting program as default for all supported file types?: [ATTACH] I'd like to use MPC-HC as the default handler for all of the file types that it supports. Is there a way to do this without going through every extension under it's "Set defaults by app" entry? If I set it as the default for video and audio under "Default apps"...
  8. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  9. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  10. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...