Windows 10: How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809.

Discus and support How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm building image with Windows 10 Enterprise 1809. And I need to be able to make any network that will be connected by default as private. Reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elvenemy, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Elvenemy Win User

How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809.

Hi,

I'm building image with Windows 10 Enterprise 1809. And I need to be able to make any network that will be connected by default as private. Reason is due to firewall settings that are created. Public network has everything disabled, and private got some configurations needed for internal use.

I need either registry way, or gpedit way, or using unattend.xml file way.
    I know there is way to hide message related to PC discovery, but as I saw on microsoft page, it will set then any new network to public.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    El

:)

Elvenemy, Mar 5, 2020
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Mar 5, 2020
  3. matake Win User
    configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Thank's for answering but this not solve mi problem. This make both ( wifi and ethernet public )
    I need wifi public and Ethernet private

There is mi scenario
    On wifi adapter the ip is assigned by dhcp ( 192.168.1.xxx ) mask 255.255.255.0
    select not disoverable when I connect to internet (also I uncheck "file and printer sharing" and disabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP for this adapter )

On Ethernet adapter I set manually the ip to 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.254.0
    there I have checked "file adn printer sharing" also enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP

How to make discoverable only Ethernet adapter ?

In Network settings->WIFI-advanced options have one button "allow your pc to be discoverable .... " on/off
    when turn on WIFI change to private when turn off change to public. ( this is the short way to do your above suggestion )

but for ethernet adapter have not this option.
    So how to make Ethernet discoverable and WIFI NOT discoverable.

(The same scenario i have build on windows XP some years ago and working good )

Also for windows firewall how to put on wifi and off on Ethernet ?

Windows 10 have only two options for the firewall put on/off on public or private network.
    Is for this why I put this title for my question because i need also to put the firewall on to WIFI and off on Ethernet

Thank you

matake, Mar 5, 2020
  4. How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809.

For 1809 and 1903 - How do I change a Public Network to Private?

Hello,

When I do a Bing search on "windows 10" change network from public to private , I get so many misleading results (because Microsoft changed the method for changing an incorrectly identified public network to the correct value of private) it isn't funny,
    at all.

How does one on 1809 and 1903 change a WIFI network from Public to Private?

How does one on 1809 and 1903 change an Ethernet network from Public to Private?

Thank you.

UPDATE: I found instructions (URL: How to change Windows 10 network location ) for 1809 and 1903 saying you
    can change the network location on the settings / properties page for the WIFI SSID underneath the "Connect automatically when in range." UNFORTUNATELY, this doesn't work for me, as what is under "Connect automatically when in range" is "Metered connection"
    and NOTHING AT ALL about Public or Private.

The following is a screen capture of what I'm seeing.

How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809. 470c8409-4ef6-484c-907e-8b07ad6cdd98?upload=true.jpg

Bertram Moshier, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809.

1. How to set any new connected network Ethernet/Wifi automatically to private. Windows 10 1809. - Similar Threads - set connected network

2. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  3. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  4. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Connect to a WiFi network automatically

Connect to a WiFi network automatically: Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could connect to a WiFi network A automatically even though I'm already connected to another WiFi network B. The thing is, that network A is very unstable but is faster than B, and when A goes down, Windows 10 connects automatically to B....
  6. Windows 10 no access to any network , ethernet or wifi. Settings will not allow changes.

Windows 10 no access to any network , ethernet or wifi. Settings will not allow changes.: I am not sure where to go for this issue. I have windows 10 on 2 pc's and one laptop in my home. All using my microsoft account. All devices are working fine and accessing the internet except one PC. This PC will not allow me to access internet via ethernet or wifi. It...
  7. Windows 10 Home (1809) Set Network From Public To Private ?

Windows 10 Home (1809) Set Network From Public To Private ?: Can anyone please give me a rundown on how to set my USB data card connection from public to private ? I know how to do it on Windows 10 Pro, but I can't figure out how to do it on Windows 10 Home Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437). 130839
  8. ethernet private network

ethernet private network: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] What happen? เกิดอะไรขึ้น เราควรแก้ไขยั https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-private-network/2a07eab8-c986-44af-8ddc-4f3739420e53
  9. configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private: Hello, I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network. I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't. Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to...
  10. Connected to Ethernet but windows says not connected to any network.

Connected to Ethernet but windows says not connected to any network.: Hi I am connected to the internet using ethernet and can access the internet but windows can't detect any networks and I can't access windows store or verify identity on PC. I have to change and set DNS and IP address every time I log in. Edit : I've tried resetting...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Can Windows 10 network settings be set for automatic fallback to WiFi if Ethernet fails