Windows 10: How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun

Discus and support How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Now that school has started, I'm sure others will appreciate this question as we deal with our children learning from home. What is the best way to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ChrisVoisey, Aug 27, 2020.

1. How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun

Now that school has started, I'm sure others will appreciate this question as we deal with our children learning from home.

What is the best way to set up app limits and screen time?

i.e., during the day I want my daughter to have access to her browser and zoom.

After school, I want to limit her to only an hour of "other stuff".

My other question is how to device screen time and app limits work together? If I allow an app to be used for 6 hours, but the Device limit is only 1 hour, will they be able to use the app for 6 hours and then all other apps that are undefined accumulate to that hour?

Thanks!!

:)

ChrisVoisey, Aug 27, 2020

2. Family Safety - any way to create application groups? (ie. school and fun) And limit the groups time ?

Hi

I use Family safety and think it's a great program and idea but it has some serious limitations.

My kids spend most of their allotted time playing Roblox or watching movies on their windows 10 computers. I have set time limits for both of those applications. Lets say 60 minutes each for a total of 120 minutes of fun time. But there are multiple
    issues with the current system.

A) Sometimes they may want to just watch movies and not play Roblox, or vice versa, play Roblox and not watch any movies.

In that case I have to give them additional time in the one application and reduce their time in the other application manually each day. It's a very cumbersome system because it's not looking at the fun time as a whole of 120 minutes.

B) after they have used up their allotted 'fun' time in Roblox and movies, they can still switch over and start playing another app or game on the computer. I sometimes catch them playing Scribblenauts or another game. I can set time limits for those apps
    as well but it does not limit the total amount of 'fun' time unless I give them only a small amount of time in each app so it all adds up to 120 minutes max.

I realize I can control the total screen time with 'screen time limits' but I don't want to limit the amount of time they can spend doing homework or something more constructive like say math games.

The solution would be the ability to create groups, and set time limits for the groups as a whole. Then they can spend the 120 minutes on whatever fun app they want, but they are still limited to 120 minutes total of playtime for all of those apps.

ie. 'FunGroup' has 120 minutes time limit and contains movies, Roblox, Scribblenauts, Lego Batman, and other games.

And once the FunGroup time is up, they can still use the computer but only for homework, and homework is not time limited.

This would make Family safety truly amazing because it works across multiple devices you could limit total play time on everything (xbox, computer, tablets, laptops) without limiting their time for homework, research, online math, etc.

Even better if you could add specific websites to the groups as well. ie *.kiloo.com *.pbskids.org

******************************************************************************************************

EDIT : I just realized that one solution is to have two separate accounts for each kid.

work account - no 'screen time' limits, but app limits for everything not work related is set to zero or apps are not installed (and no permission to install them). They can only do work on this account.

fun account - 'screen time' limit set to say 120 minutes, and no per app limits.

Once they run out of time on the fun account, they can login under the work account and still do homework.

scottyw999, Aug 27, 2020
  3. time limits in family not working

Hi Barbara,

We would like to know more details about your concern about the Family Safety time limit that is not working so we can better assist you. Kindly answer the following:

• Does it happen only with particular child account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we would suggest that you refer to this
    support link
    on how to set up screen time limits for your child.

We look forward to your response.

Marilou Ser, Aug 27, 2020
  4. lmnfresh Win User

How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun

Screen Time - Cant remove screen time limits

Hi Paul--

Any ideas for how to get rid of app limits that are being applied but were never set? My daughter today had to ask for additional time for Google Chrome, but I never set individual app limits for any apps. As in, the switch for setting app limits in my family
    account is set to OFF. I changed the screen time limits on Tuesday since she's now distance learning, but no changes have been made to app limits, ever. I restarted her computer with the same result. I was able to add time, but it maxed out at 3 hours and
    won't be enough for the whole school day. I really don't want to have to do this every day, multiple times per day as a workaround for limit that I didn't set.

Help!

lmnfresh, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun

1. How to set App Limits/Screen Time for School vs. Home/Fun - Similar Threads - set App Limits

2. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety: HelloI have set up screen time using Family Safety to limit the amount of time my son spends on games. However, he has a number of different games installed and it seems that I need to set up separate limits for them, e.g. set up a 2 hour limit on game1, then set up a 2 hour...
  3. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety: HelloI have set up screen time using Family Safety to limit the amount of time my son spends on games. However, he has a number of different games installed and it seems that I need to set up separate limits for them, e.g. set up a 2 hour limit on game1, then set up a 2 hour...
  4. Setting screen time limits on a group of apps in Family Safety

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. How to set app limits

How to set app limits: How can I set one limit to few apps? Lets say, there's 3 games:1. xxx2. yyy3. zzzNow, I can set limits:1 hour to game xxx1 hour to game yyy2 hours to game zzzSo child can play 1+1+2=4hoursBut I want set same time limit to all 3 games, 2 hours, that means if he spend 2 hours...
  6. Screen time and app time limit not working

Screen time and app time limit not working: Helpo, i have set my childs screen time and app time limits yet it does not take effect. Even though i have the certain apps blocked, she still is able to use them without any restriction. On the screentime, if i block that, the computer still works. Not sure why this is...
  7. Setting screen time limits

Setting screen time limits: Hello, Two questions : Can i use any device using my credentials, to set screen time limits on a separate child's device or should i only do so on the actual device itself? I want to set a daily 3.5 hour time limit on the child's device. Do i have to specify exactly...
  8. Screen Time Limits Just Outside School Hours?

Screen Time Limits Just Outside School Hours?: With the pandemic causing my kids to do school from home I've found I'd like a little more refinement in screen time limits. I'd essentially like there to be no limit during school hours and then to have normal limits after that. Since the amount of screen time used for...
  9. Screen time/app limits

Screen time/app limits: I have never set up app/screen time limits, suddenly I am being asked to give myself permission to use Chrome despite not having enabled this setting in my family group. Obviously I can give myself permission but it seems strange that this suddenly became an issue. Has...
  10. screen and app time limits

screen and app time limits: I keep getting a notification that I need a parent's I am the parentpermission for more time on Chrome but I have no time limits set on any device on my account. Does anyone know how to fix this?...