Windows 10: How to set compatibility mode in W10

Discus and support How to set compatibility mode in W10 in Cortana to solve the problem; How do I set compatibility mode in Windows 10 ? I read an article which told me to 'enter run programs' and select one the options.... so I enter... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by EdWD, Jun 12, 2019.

1. EdWD Win User

How to set compatibility mode in W10

How do I set compatibility mode in Windows 10 ?

I read an article which told me to 'enter run programs' and select one the options....

so I enter the test (trying a number of variants) and even trying 'file explorer' the method I used to locate the file explorer and I get no response from the search. I noticed that the search engine was now 'corana' in stead of just searching the OS

I can not run Age of Empires Expansion (Rise of Rome) because of some graphics error, direct draw not enabled, video card (built in intel) incompatibility with drivers or not enough video RAM. I am using a laptop that does not support all drivers for W10 - its an HP Pavilion dm4-1000 series, but I don't know which. W10 seems to work ok - I think the limitations are my own. So I thought I'd try checking compatibility mode. Failed at the first hurdle !

AoE II won't even install properly !

Can anyone help me to check or set compatibility mode for the said game? I will try to cross the other bridges later. I don't Cortana I want the previous search mechanism back !"

EdWD

12.June.2019

:)

2. error messages "The program was started in compatibility mode. As this this can lead to undesirable effects, you should disable the compatibility settings"

Hi Harold,

I suggest you to manually change the Compatibility Mode Settings
    and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps below:

• Right click on the app/program.
    • select Properties.
    • Click the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and also uncheck all the boxes below.
    • Click/tap on the Change settings for all users button.
    • Again, uncheck the box Run this program in compatibility mode for
      and also uncheck all the boxes below.
    • Click on ok, then Apply and then again ok.

Please keep us updated with the status of the pop ups to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Compatability with W10

Has anyone produced a list of old programs which will still run in W10? I still use several programs which originate from the XP era including Microsoft Money 2002 etc. These run OK in W7 when using the compatability mode. Will this functionality exist
    in W10?

Auntratswisk, Jun 12, 2019
  4. GRS440 Win User

Compatability with W10

Hi Zigzag 3143, sorry for the slow response but been away for a few days.

I did check the Microsoft W10 compatibility list and MS Money (Sunset deluxe) was checked as compatible. But every time I tried to run the progam it insisted I needed to install IE6 (even though I'd been using Money on W8.1 successfully).

However, I managed to find a solution (more of a workaround than a solution) at the following link

Windows 10 Compatibility with Microsoft Money

GRS440, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How to set compatibility mode in W10 - Similar Threads - set compatibility mode

2. How do I clear the cache of previous compatibility mode settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clear the cache of previous compatibility mode settings?: I was trying to fix an issue with a game, and attempted to run it in compatibility mode as one possible solution.Running it in compatibility mode caused the game to resize Windows display resolution and made the entire desktop as well as the game unusable until I hit Alt+F4...
  3. How do I clear the cache of previous compatibility mode settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I clear the cache of previous compatibility mode settings?: I was trying to fix an issue with a game, and attempted to run it in compatibility mode as one possible solution.Running it in compatibility mode caused the game to resize Windows display resolution and made the entire desktop as well as the game unusable until I hit Alt+F4...
  4. compatability mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    compatability mode: I am trying to get Winamp to work but I keep getting a popup thaat says winamp is running in compatability mode. however, when I right click on the winamp icon, select properties, and select the compatability tab the "run in compatability box is not checked". I desperately...
  5. Compatibility mode for W10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compatibility mode for W10: I have Windows 10 64bit. Is there a way to switch a bat file to compatibility mode? The only options I see in the bat properties are: General - Security - Details - Previous Versions....
  6. How do I Set Compatibility Mode on Multiple EXE files

How do I Set Compatibility Mode on Multiple EXE files: Any of you Windows 10 experts know how to set Compatibity Mode on MULTIPLE EXE files? 92738
  7. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off? 14680
  8. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of. As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10. That problem I'm facing is that, I need to...
  9. Compatibility mode

Compatibility mode: Hi I have had programs in the past that I love to either use or games to play even some older MS games and they refuse to load on new operating systems. Why is it when I try and run the program in Compatibility mode for say XP it refuses to run the program. I don't...
  10. W10 & GFX Compatibility

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    W10 & GFX Compatibility: I have W10 on my laptop and the graphic cards are being shown as incompatible and am currently using Windows VGA mode. I have dual card one for battery and one for elec plug in Radeon HD 4xxx series and HD 5xxx series respectively. Does anyone have a line on when...