Windows 10: How to set compress or encrypt attributes off by default

Discus and support How to set compress or encrypt attributes off by default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm at a loss every single old and new file, picture, or program has "compress contents to save disk space" checked by default. its not checked on my C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dazzan, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Dazzan Win User

How to set compress or encrypt attributes off by default

I'm at a loss every single old and new file, picture, or program has "compress contents to save disk space" checked by default. its not checked on my C drive or my D drive under advanced attributes. I have looked threw settings and so far not been able to figure out a way to turn this off
    I found a post on this website that said a fresh install would fix the issue how ever i received windows 10 as a free upgrade from windows 7 and I don't believe I have access to the ISO file on my computer anymore

How to set compress or encrypt attributes off by default 087a6c9b-25e6-452b-8830-d36e03de9882?upload=true.png

:)

Dazzan, Dec 18, 2018

2. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Dec 18, 2018
  3. BillRng Win User
    Encrypting a folder

Thanks Devlin for your prompt reply. However. Under “Compress or Encrypt attributes” there are two choices.

• “Compress contents to save disk space”. It has a tick mark and is doable.

• “Encrypt contents to secure data”. This is in grey and not doable.

How do you change it?

BillRng, Dec 18, 2018
  4. pixie-ryn Win User

New files not being encrypted

I had my Camera Uploads folder from Drobox set as compressed. I have changed this to encrypted for a bit more security.

The issue I'm having is that any new files created in the folder are set as compressed and not encrypted.

The parent folder(Dropbox) is set as encrypted, the folder itself(Camera Uploads) is set as encrypted and all previous files were encrypted. Only two files that are not encrypted are two hidden files(.dropbox.attr and desktop.ini).

I have enabled encryption using both through the Properties menu and using cipher.exe and new files are not being encrypted.

The documentation says I just need to encrypt the parent folder and all files moved to, copied to, and created in the folder will be encrypted, yet new files are created with the compressed attribute.

pixie-ryn, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set compress or encrypt attributes off by default - Similar Threads - set compress encrypt

2. how to disable read-only attribute because it won't turn off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to disable read-only attribute because it won't turn off: after the latest update my most used folders have become read only. It doesn't have a check mark, the box is just filled black.No matter how many times I turn it off it comes back.And the network computers can no longer access these folders.My user account is Administrator...
  3. how to disable read-only attribute because it won't turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to disable read-only attribute because it won't turn off: after the latest update my most used folders have become read only. It doesn't have a check mark, the box is just filled black.No matter how many times I turn it off it comes back.And the network computers can no longer access these folders.My user account is Administrator...
  4. how to set dispay settings to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to set dispay settings to default: i have acidentally done a mistake in my display settings and because of it i have got a white tint on my display its a software problem when i start a game the display corrects itself i want to set the display settings to default i dont want to reinstall the whole windows...
  5. how to set display settings to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to set display settings to default: i just installed windows 10 and somehow i got a filter of white shade on my screen it goes away when i start valorant and the screen becomes crystal clear but it becomes more zoomed pls help and show me way to reset only display settings to default it would be okay if all my...
  6. Compress and encrypt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compress and encrypt: Hi, all of a sudden yesterday some files and images had "two blue arrows" these can easily be removed, however when I download anything to C drive they appear again, After two and a half hours on the phone last night they could not give me a answer/solution how to...
  7. compress content to save disk space suddenly set as default.

in Windows 10 Support
    compress content to save disk space suddenly set as default.: Hey! After a recent Windows 10 update to my PC, close to everything on my computer have two blue arrows icons on it, which is "compress content to save disk space" as far as I found out. I didn't even know this was a thing, but now it has been set as default on my computer! I...
  8. WINDOWS10 NEW INSTALLATION - Encrypt FOLDER ATTRIBUTE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WINDOWS10 NEW INSTALLATION - Encrypt FOLDER ATTRIBUTE: Hi, Can some one please give input if below issue is noticed and how it can be resolved.I have a pc of less than a year old and very recently I came to find that for a folder on right click in advanced option "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox is greyed out.Below...
  9. Encryption Enabled By Default or Not?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encryption Enabled By Default or Not?: Hello, all! I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday. I remember one of the notifications that came up was asking me if I wanted to back up my encryption key. I'd like to know, is Windows 10 encrypted by default? I read around, and it sounds like Windows 8.1 is, and would...
  10. How To Set A Default Keyboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Set A Default Keyboard?: During windows 10 installation, I had installed a UK as well as a US keyboard. Whenever my computer goes in sleep mode or is restarted, it switches automatically to the UK keyboard. I know the shortcut to changing it is windows key + spacebar. But it's still inconvenient as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. compress or encrypt attributes

2. compress attributes

3. compress and encrypt attributes

4. change folder attribes compress,
  5. compress contents to save disk space turn off,
  6. compress or encrypt attribute,
  7. folder properties compress or encrypt,
  8. advanced attributes encrypt turn off,
  9. how to enable advanced attributes to encrypt contents to secure data,
  10. encrypts attributes,
  11. encrypt attributes,