How to set custom locations for system folders?

Discus and support How to set custom locations for system folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.

1. This computer is using the hard drives from past computers. So I'm guessing the permissions on everything was setup by a previous install of Windows 7 at some time in the past.

2. When I fresh installed Win 7 after a mainboard change it started to have issues with permissions on folders like Pictures, videos, my documents, etc. I was able to use the take ownership program and all was fine.

3. Now I've upgraded to Win 10 and can't save any files in the Pictures folder (and possibly others) I used the take ownership program again to try to take ownership of that folder and I manually made sure that it lists my username for my computer and that it has full control over the pictures folder but I still can't save to the Pictures folder.

4. I changed something in the settings to make saving all my stuff onto my F drive and now there is a folder on the F drive named with my username and inside of it there are folders like Pictures, Videos etc. So now I'm even more confused on where the real Pictures, My Documents, Videos, Download folders really are.

At this point what I'd like to do is to create new folders on my G (the largest drive I have) drive with the typical naming conventions of the folders listed above and make them the default for all the different items AND then be able to delete any of the existing folders that I can't actually save into.

How do I accomplish this on W10?

By the way I followed the following instructions to gain permission over what I assume is my pictures folder but it still refused to let me save there:
    :)

Traijan, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Amylove Loy Win User

How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Hi Leo,

Let's see if the same problem will occur when using a different account on the PC. To create a test user account, follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt then choose Run as administrator.
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type net user test /add.
    • Press Enter.
    • Sign out from your user account or restart the computer.
    • Sign in to the new user account (test).

Give us an update if the same problem occurs on a different user account.

Amylove Loy, Aug 5, 2015
  3. LeoCarmo Win User
    How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Sorry for the long time for the feedback, I've been having other issues.

So, I reproduced the entire set of steps above. Still no luck at changing a single, specific icon.

So how's that supposed to be a first step on changing all the custom icons at once?

LeoCarmo, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. How to set custom locations for system folders? - Similar Threads - set custom locations

2. How to set a service to a specific logon account?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to set a service to a specific logon account?: Microsoft update service starts automatically. So I wanna set the service to a specific account. Windows version: 1709, build: 16299.547....
  3. RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RESOLVED! But NOT how you'd think!: Windows 10 Still freezing at 81 percent from...: This is a reply/resolution to feedback that I had submitted a while back, that I had for over a year of trying to install the latest updates of Windows 10, and the issues i was having, My suggestion is that the Microsoft team really needs to look into this issue, and try to...
  4. How to use your hard drive as RAM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to use your hard drive as RAM in Windows 10: Windows 10 has a feature that allows part of your hard drive to work the same way that RAM(Random Access Memory) does. Known as virtual memory, it is important to system stability and can help improve your computer’s performance when properly configured. Before covering how...
  5. How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i prevent external HDD to go in sleep in windows 10 ?: I am using windows 10 in my laptop and desktop. I am having a problem with my external HDD. Windows automatically disconnects my external HDD after 30-40 minutes. I have tried all but still it disconnects with a sound. In windows 7 all same steps worked for me but I don't...
  6. How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?

How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?: How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-change-the-font-size-of-the-names-under/50291850-7360-442b-9191-cbd59aa3e445
  7. Screen saver custom label

Screen saver custom label: I want to change my sleep screen saver to a custom label like I could with windows 7, How do I this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_screensave/screen-saver-custom-label/8c212b08-fbcc-4f98-be14-713303325a92
  8. Links within display settings not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Links within display settings not working: [ATTACH] The links in the above are not working. I wish to access the 27" monitor settings as despite having the right drivers, and the right cables, it will not display anything above 1920*1080....
  9. how do i get my task bar back on the bottom of my screen again, it seems to have moved to...

how do i get my task bar back on the bottom of my screen again, it seems to have moved to...: how do i get my task bar back on the bottom of my screen again, it seems to have moved to the side of my page ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-get-my-task-bar-back-on-the-bottom-of-my/91d92472-3313-42ec-9302-421a68b67fcd
  10. How to set Windows 10 shortcut to my mouse?

How to set Windows 10 shortcut to my mouse?: The shortcut to change virtual desktop in Windows 10 is: Ctrl + Win + ←/→ i want to bind this to my mouse side key , how to do this? my mouse is DeathAdder2013...