Windows 10: How to set custom locations for system folders?

Discus and support How to set custom locations for system folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

How to set custom locations for system folders?

Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.

1. This computer is using the hard drives from past computers. So I'm guessing the permissions on everything was setup by a previous install of Windows 7 at some time in the past.

2. When I fresh installed Win 7 after a mainboard change it started to have issues with permissions on folders like Pictures, videos, my documents, etc. I was able to use the take ownership program and all was fine.

3. Now I've upgraded to Win 10 and can't save any files in the Pictures folder (and possibly others) I used the take ownership program again to try to take ownership of that folder and I manually made sure that it lists my username for my computer and that it has full control over the pictures folder but I still can't save to the Pictures folder.

4. I changed something in the settings to make saving all my stuff onto my F drive and now there is a folder on the F drive named with my username and inside of it there are folders like Pictures, Videos etc. So now I'm even more confused on where the real Pictures, My Documents, Videos, Download folders really are.

At this point what I'd like to do is to create new folders on my G (the largest drive I have) drive with the typical naming conventions of the folders listed above and make them the default for all the different items AND then be able to delete any of the existing folders that I can't actually save into.

How do I accomplish this on W10?

By the way I followed the following instructions to gain permission over what I assume is my pictures folder but it still refused to let me save there:
    :)

Traijan, Aug 5, 2015

2. How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Hi Leo,

Let's see if the same problem will occur when using a different account on the PC. To create a test user account, follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt then choose Run as administrator.
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type net user test /add.
    • Press Enter.
    • Sign out from your user account or restart the computer.
    • Sign in to the new user account (test).

Give us an update if the same problem occurs on a different user account.

Amylove Loy, Aug 5, 2015
  3. LeoCarmo Win User
    How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Sorry for the long time for the feedback, I've been having other issues.

So, I reproduced the entire set of steps above. Still no luck at changing a single, specific icon.

So how's that supposed to be a first step on changing all the custom icons at once?

LeoCarmo, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

How to set custom locations for system folders?

1. How to set custom locations for system folders? - Similar Threads - set custom locations

2. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T the message "I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  3. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T the message "I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  4. Folder location of Settings app Fix

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder location of Settings app Fix: Hi, I saw someone asking this question, precisely for rainmeter, and the answer is not quite right. I couldn't answer it too, hope this fix it.the message I surfed the whole internet for hours just for you Ares79T"I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to...
  5. I can't use a folder to customize my lockscreen because the system says the location is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't use a folder to customize my lockscreen because the system says the location is not...: This is my first time trying to customize my laptop and tried to use a slideshow in my lock screen. however when I tried to use the folder it says the folder is not supported because of its location....
  6. I can't use a folder to customize my lockscreen because the system says the location is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't use a folder to customize my lockscreen because the system says the location is not...: This is my first time trying to customize my laptop and tried to use a slideshow in my lock screen. however when I tried to use the folder it says the folder is not supported because of its location....
  7. How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons

How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons: Hello! I have changed icons of my folders to "horizontal type". I want to ask if it's possible to "customize" folder thumbnail to fit my new horizontal icons. (example image below). (My windows version is 20H2) [img] 175981
  8. Folder location of Settings app

Folder location of Settings app: Hi, I'd like to add Windows Settings launcher to PATH in order to usems-settings: directly from the prompt. However I'm unaware of the program's path. In another thread it was suggested it can be found inC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ but attempting to gain permission to the...
  9. How to set custom folder view for 1 folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set custom folder view for 1 folder: Okay so here's a stupid problem to have. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. I have the folder view for all my folders to be "Large icons." But I have one folder where I want "Medium icons" view. And I set it on Medium view, but then every few hours or days it goes back to Large icons....
  10. System's Customized Setting Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System's Customized Setting Backup: Just wondering if it is possible to save my PC settings. I am setting my PC the way I would like to have it, with respect to font size and color, desktop icon format and the rest. I would like to save my systems settings for safe keeping. Thanks. 107188