How to set custom locations for system folders?

Discus and support How to set custom locations for system folders? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Okay I'm a bit stumped on this although I had no issues in Windows 7. I think my problem with permissions may be unique to my computer to be honest.

1. This computer is using the hard drives from past computers. So I'm guessing the permissions on everything was setup by a previous install of Windows 7 at some time in the past.

2. When I fresh installed Win 7 after a mainboard change it started to have issues with permissions on folders like Pictures, videos, my documents, etc. I was able to use the take ownership program and all was fine.

3. Now I've upgraded to Win 10 and can't save any files in the Pictures folder (and possibly others) I used the take ownership program again to try to take ownership of that folder and I manually made sure that it lists my username for my computer and that it has full control over the pictures folder but I still can't save to the Pictures folder.

4. I changed something in the settings to make saving all my stuff onto my F drive and now there is a folder on the F drive named with my username and inside of it there are folders like Pictures, Videos etc. So now I'm even more confused on where the real Pictures, My Documents, Videos, Download folders really are.

At this point what I'd like to do is to create new folders on my G (the largest drive I have) drive with the typical naming conventions of the folders listed above and make them the default for all the different items AND then be able to delete any of the existing folders that I can't actually save into.

How do I accomplish this on W10?

By the way I followed the following instructions to gain permission over what I assume is my pictures folder but it still refused to let me save there:
    :)

Traijan, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Amylove Loy Win User

How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Hi Leo,

Let's see if the same problem will occur when using a different account on the PC. To create a test user account, follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt then choose Run as administrator.
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type net user test /add.
    • Press Enter.
    • Sign out from your user account or restart the computer.
    • Sign in to the new user account (test).

Give us an update if the same problem occurs on a different user account.

Amylove Loy, Aug 6, 2015
  3. LeoCarmo Win User
    How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

Sorry for the long time for the feedback, I've been having other issues.

So, I reproduced the entire set of steps above. Still no luck at changing a single, specific icon.

So how's that supposed to be a first step on changing all the custom icons at once?

LeoCarmo, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

How to set custom locations for system folders?

How to set custom locations for system folders? - Similar Threads - set custom locations

1. How do I make 1 Reg file that restores 5 custom text settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I make 1 Reg file that restores 5 custom text settings?: Windows Update frequently puts my custom text settings for these 5 fonts (below) back to their default values. This is an annoyance, to have to re-do them every time. I was wondering: 1.) How do I create a backup of the original / default values? Where are these Registry...
  2. Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken.

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom Bing 'Top Sites' configuration and settings broken.: I noticed this yesterday. In MS Edge, if you click 'new tab' you get an option to customise the page and in my case I have it to display my top or favorite sites. The problem is that suddenly they are all mixed, all the first bunch that were pinned or now unpinned and...
  3. Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD: Hello Everyone, I have to post this thread from my Win 7 machine because my regular Win 10 machine has the Black Screen Of Death, or at the very least it's unresponsive and I don't know how to proceed. I allowed Microsoft to perform the latest Win 10 Update, which...
  4. System's Customized Setting Backup

in Windows 10 Support
    System's Customized Setting Backup: Just wondering if it is possible to save my PC settings. I am setting my PC the way I would like to have it, with respect to font size and color, desktop icon format and the rest. I would like to save my systems settings for safe keeping. Thanks. 107188
  5. Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched: How can I change the default view settings for open file dialogs so that they always show Details view and sorted by Last Modified *when the open file dialog quick search box has been used to find files*? 108715
  6. An update changed my whole customized settings, can't change it back

in Windows 10 Support
    An update changed my whole customized settings, can't change it back: Hey guys, my windows (10) was updated by himself and a lot of my settings were changed. Some I fixed and some I failed too. Can you help me change it back? I search for solution on the tutorial form but didnt find. 1. My colour settings were changed - from pure white to...
  7. Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry file to restore custom fonts settings? Size and Bold: I use Winaero Tweaker on a couple of computers, to increase font sizes. Sometimes, when there's a Windows update, the custom settings go back to the default. Using an ICC profile helped, with the settings not being retained for some other reason, but it still does this after...
How to set custom locations for system folders? solved