Windows 10: How to set default apps in Windows 11

Discus and support How to set default apps in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Setting up default applications should not be difficult on any platform, but sometimes, companies have certain goals in mind that affect usability.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 23, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to set default apps in Windows 11

Setting up default applications should not be difficult on any platform, but sometimes, companies have certain goals in mind that affect usability. This has been the case since the release of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system, and has been an ongoing problem with the release of Windows 11.

While Microsoft promised to give users more control over default apps, e.g., here and just recently here, the reality so far has been that Microsoft has made it difficult to set non-Microsoft apps as the default and keep the setting that way through updates or other Microsoft shenanigans.

Microsoft still has not addressed some of the major complaints that users have had for a long time. While there is a Default Apps section in the Settings app, it lacks options to set all supported file types to a specific application. There are a few exceptions, web browsers a notable one, but the "set default" button is only available for these and not the majority of programs on the system.

Setting default apps in Windows 11

How to set default apps in Windows 11 default-apps-windows-11.png

Here are the default options to make an application or program the default file handler on Windows 11 devices.

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings app.
    2. Switch to Apps > Default Apps.

Microsoft's operating system displays the installed applications on the device on the page that opens. There is also an option to search for a specific file type or link type, and options to set defaults by application, file type or link type.

Selecting an application on the Default Apps page lists all file types that it supports. For most applications, it is necessary to assign file types or link types manually. This is done by clicking on one of the lines and then selecting the currently selected application as the default for it.

This may work if an app supports a few file and link types, but some support hundreds. It takes a long time to assign all of these to a program using the default option. The only exception to this are browsers, which have a "set default" option.

Usually, it is better to find out if an app supports setting it as the default handler for all the file types it supports. Some applications support the feature in their preferences, others only during installation. It may even be worth a re-installation of the app to make it the default in that case.

Microsoft may also display a prompt to users, if they try to change a default. This is the case for Microsoft Edge and PDF files, but it is very likely that other file types or programs are also handled with special privileges.

How to set default apps in Windows 11 default-apps-microsoft-edge.png

Setting defaults by file type or link type works similarly. It is one change at a time, and that may take a long time to complete.

Windows 11 includes another option to change file type associations, but it is also limited to one change at a time. Open File Explorer and right-click on a file to change the association for its file extension. Select "more options" and then properties from the menu.

There is a change button, which you may use to associate a different program with the file type.

How to set default apps in Windows 11 change-file-type-windows.png

Closing Words

Microsoft has made it purposefully difficult to change file associations on Windows 11. While that ensures that malicious or rogue apps may not use this for malicious activity, it is also preventing users from changing file associations in a comfortable straightforward manner. Why not add a "make default" option for all apps in Default Apps? Many users may not even be familiar with all the file extensions and link types that an app supports, and it may be overwhelming to set these up.

Now You: how do you set default apps on Windows?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to set default apps in Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 23, 2023

2. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 23, 2023
  3. Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

Hi J.C.Coelho,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below steps and check whether you are able to make the Calendar as default.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default app by protocol at the bottom.
    • Select the Calendar and choose an app.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Mar 23, 2023
  4. opjose Win User

Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

As everyone here is trying to tell you, you CANNOT do that.

It is "broken" and needs a fix from Microsoft.

opjose, Mar 23, 2023
Thema:

1. How to set default apps in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - set default apps

2. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  3. Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for .md on Windows 11: I try to set default app for .md as followed : Start > Settings > Apps > Default app > Type in: .mdBut .md file is not found in the list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-set-default-app-for-md-on-windows-11/32e8d5cb-7485-428d-b4de-9c73c5bf7e6e
  4. How to set another default app for CR2 files in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set another default app for CR2 files in Windows 11?: The OS doesn't allow to set other default app than Photos for CR2 files.The "Always" button are absent:Through settings it's also impossible because configuring is disabled:How to set app as default for CR2 files other than Photos in Windows 11?...
  5. How to set another default app for CR2 files in Windows 11?

How to set another default app for CR2 files in Windows 11?: The OS doesn't allow to set other default app than Photos for CR2 files.The "Always" button are absent:Through settings it's also impossible because configuring is disabled:How to set app as default for CR2 files other than Photos in Windows 11?...
  6. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  7. Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11

Cannot set default app for MP4 on Windows 11: I am coming across a strange issue, each time I open an MP4 file I'm asked which application I wish to use. It's incredibly frustrating when going through various files of footage. I attempted to set the default app for the MP4 extension but I don't get this option. I can...
  8. Windows 11 - Setting Default desktop per app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Setting Default desktop per app: Hi AllIs it possible to set a default desktop for an app to start on?For instance, can I set it up so if I start Outlook, it always opens on Desktop 2, regardless of which desktop I'm currently viewing?Thanks in advance!Tim...
  9. Windows 11 - Setting Default desktop per app

Windows 11 - Setting Default desktop per app: Hi AllIs it possible to set a default desktop for an app to start on?For instance, can I set it up so if I start Outlook, it always opens on Desktop 2, regardless of which desktop I'm currently viewing?Thanks in advance!Tim...
  10. How to set a default app for extensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default app for extensions?: Please help me to set the default app for the extension .res I don’t know how to do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-default-app-for-extensions/b513235b-4f4d-4292-b37e-000ac4d12d6e"