Windows 10: How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?

Discus and support How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Florio, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Florio Win User

How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?

For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only Video Player, which is not entirely the same thing. In any case, the player I wish to make the default one (sMedio True DVD for HP) does not appear on any of the lists of apps, even though it is installed and fully functional, and is in fact amongst the programs on the Start Menu.

Windows 10 version 20H2

:)

Florio, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Florio Win User

For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only Video Player, which is not entirely the same thing. In any case, the player I wish to make the default one (sMedio True DVD for HP) does not appear on any of the lists of apps, even though it is installed and fully functional, and is in fact amongst the programs on the Start Menu.

Windows 10 version 20H2

Florio, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list in Windows 10

I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can actually solve the problem. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional Features, install it if missing, etc. - I did all that, and now WMP runs and plays media files. However, there is no way in Windows 10 to set it as a Default App to play media file types.

• Go to "Default apps" > "Music Player" > "Choose Default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Choose default apps by file type" > ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Set Defaults by app" > Windows Media Player is here! > select "Manage" > find ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - the only choice is "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store".

After a long time spent searching I found this article: How to make any program the default on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Apparently after 1803 you are supposed to use hackers tools to set the Microsoft's own Windows Media Player as default. I used FileTypesMan as was suggested in the article, but when I try to change assignments for .mp3 files, I get "Error 5: Access is denied" from the tool. Also, if I right-click on an .mp3 file and select "Open with..." it still suggests me to go to Microsoft Store, open with Notepad, Paint, Word, but not Windows Media Player.

What is the proper way to make WMP the default media player, so it shows up in the Default apps list?

sun2sirius, Jan 5, 2021
  4. AddRAM Win User

You choose it with windows explorer, it will be listed.

Or just push the open button to drop in a dvd.

Windows should ask you what you want to do with the DVD, you should get a popup to choose an option.

And you could always set your Auto Play options to default.

AddRAM, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps? - Similar Threads - set default DVD

2. How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?: How do I set windows media player as the default DVD Player? When ever I play a DVD it opens ClipChmp. How do I change that?<Changed to a question><Original title: Windows Media Player 12>...
  3. How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set Windows Media Player 12 as the default DVD Player?: How do I set windows media player as the default DVD Player? When ever I play a DVD it opens ClipChmp. How do I change that?<Changed to a question><Original title: Windows Media Player 12>...
  4. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?: I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list...
  5. How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?

How do I set default app for filetypes not listed?: I have an editor VIM which I'd like to set as the default app for .bat files. Actually it doesn't have to be THE default app, but preferably I would like it listed as an ap that can be used for that file type.Unfortunately, the setting for assigning default apps does not list...
  6. How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default DVD player when it isn't included in list of apps?: For those of us with an optical drive, how do you choose the default DVD player? The list of default apps doesn't even include a DVD player, but only Video Player, which is not entirely the same thing. In any case, the player I wish to make the default one (sMedio True DVD...
  7. setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted: Ok. Here's the deal. Please read this carefully, as I am not talking about file types, I am talking about disk types. Windows 7 had a feature that would detect the content of any removable media placed in an optical drive and would ask you what to do with it. In Fact, it...
  8. Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list: I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can be easily found. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional Features, install it if missing, etc. - I did all that, and now WMP runs and plays media files. However, there is no way to...
  9. Default apps in settings is not on the list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default apps in settings is not on the list: I have a relatively new acer aspire, bing has sneaked into being my default browser but I can't change it because there is no Default apps in settings, it's not on the list. What can I do?...
  10. Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered

in Windows 10 Support
    Set Default App to VLC; nothing happens when DVD entered: Hello, I have read how to change the default app that opens "things." For a DVD (and this is one attached by a USB because it's an ultrabook), I chose VLC. I put in a DVD and nothing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thank you~! 21491