Windows 10: How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!

Discus and support How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have setup a home group network at my small office between 6 PCs for the file sharing purpose and it works fine. One thing I have no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MedoXtreme, Sep 24, 2016.

1. How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!

Hi guys,
    I have setup a home group network at my small office between 6 PCs for the file sharing purpose and it works fine. One thing I have no idea about as how to set an access permission for specific users to let them access my shared folders while the rest to not to do ? Just two of them I wanna share my files with not the entire homegroup.

Just to make it clearer, each PC has just a single user who’s already the administrator and all the PCs are visible in the network map. I don’t wanna share the folder over my PC as the simple sharing “Share with HomeGroup read or read/write” as it will allow all the PCs to access such folder while I just want 2 PCs to have the access.

I went to Specific people option but none of the group members is there for sure. Then I went to advanced sharing but still can’t figure it out as much as I can’t find a clear online tutorial of how I can do it... My PC which contains the files is running Window 10 Pro and all I need to do is to share one of my folders with a specific PC “PC2 for example” and share another with another “PC3” as no else can access them as well not to let any of the two PCs to access the other’s folder.

Hope I can get a clear walkthrough so I can get the job done. Thanks alot in advance.

:)

MedoXtreme, Sep 24, 2016
  2. Tom5280 Win User

Windows 10 Homegroup "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>"

I've been struggling to get simple network folder sharing working between my 4 home computers. All machines are running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with the latest creators update. All machines are joined successfully to the same homegroup and the homegroup
    troubleshooter is not finding any errors.

I am trying to share a folder with "specific users" in the homegroup. Folder sharing works fine is "Homegroup", but once I select specific users in the homegroup it fails with a "You do not have permission to access <Network Share Name>" error. The user
    accounts are all windows live accounts and I'm correctly logged into the computer that is trying to access the network share. Security permission appear to be appropriately set for the user to have read/write access after I share the file.

I have tried removing all the computers from the homegroup, deleting all files in the C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking folder, and then restarting all the machines and creating a new homegroup and then having all the
    machines join the homegroup. I've tried creating the homegroup from different PCs, and I've tried leaving two machines off while joining the other two and sharing. No change in the behavior described. I really need to limit the folder sharing to a limited
    set of users. Any ideas on additional steps to fix or troubleshoot this?

Tom5280, Sep 24, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Other user is able to see my homegroup files

When you join a homegroup it is the computer you are joining not the user, it applies to all users on that computer. When you define the share permissions of your files it is the homegroup you are sharing with not individual users.

If she has her own computer you can just remove your daughters computer from homegroup, if she is a user on the existing computers you cannot take her out exclusively due to the way homegroup permissions work

You would have to create a share outside the default homegroup share and specify your husbands credentials as having access.

HairyFool, Sep 24, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!

You cannot. You can only do that with standard Network Sharing. Homegroup only shares those "Libraries" that you have.

If you want a better option, get a good NAS like the Synology DIS216+2.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?!

1. How to set different HomeGroup sharing permissions for users ?! - Similar Threads - set different HomeGroup

2. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  3. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set permission in shared folder: Hi pls.I have trouble with set permisiion in the home directory. Home directory is shared folder in Windows 2019 server. I am user with full access to directory. I can create folder, but if I try set permission, the explorer return error Cannot enumerate object in container ,...
  4. set permission in shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user

LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user: Hello everybody, I need to set permission on a shared folder on a remote computer on my network. In the said action, I need to add a local user of that computer to the user list. I know that computer's local users' names but cannot add them. Looks like I don't have...
  6. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  7. Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue

Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue: Dear All, I hope that someone can help me. I am setup as an administrator within Window 10. For some unknown reason I cannot share or set permissions for the default Documents folder Music folder or Printers and Drivers to be shared across a Homegroup. THE EXACT...
  8. shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared: not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has access to all my docs.*cry how can i delete this?*Confused 73502
  9. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: Think I've kind of sorted it. Only weird thing is, is sometimes the computers on the network show up, sometimes they don't!
  10. How do I give different sharing permissions to different computers?

How do I give different sharing permissions to different computers?: Hi. I have a folder full of movies that I'm sharing over the network. I want my raspberry pi to be the only one able to change the content of the folder, but I want everyone on the network to able to read from it, how can this be done? 67351