Windows 10: How to set External HDD as main drive

Discus and support How to set External HDD as main drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have an ASUS VivoStick which has close to zero free storage space as it's all taken up by the OS, I also have an external HDD which is where I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CameronMacDonald6, Feb 27, 2021.

1. How to set External HDD as main drive

Hi,

I have an ASUS VivoStick which has close to zero free storage space as it's all taken up by the OS, I also have an external HDD which is where I keep all of my files and programs etc. The problem I am having is that every time any program needs to update it is trying to download the Temporary? update data to C which has no space and not D, even though all of the program files are residing in D. So all of my updates are failing leaving some software unavailable for use.

I'm not super tech savvy but I think I need to try and set the destination for all these incoming update files and so on to D but don't know how, and since these program updates are initiating automatically I can't set a specific destination. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm having trouble phrasing my question for a google search.

Examples of the kinds of programs I'm having trouble with are VoiceMod, Firefox.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

:)

CameronMacDonald6, Feb 27, 2021

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Feb 27, 2021
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Feb 27, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

How to set External HDD as main drive

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

How to set External HDD as main drive

1. How to set External HDD as main drive - Similar Threads - set External HDD

2. How to set my external monitor as the main monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set my external monitor as the main monitor: I have an MSI gaming laptop connected to an external 1440p monitor. The laptop has a 1080p monitor. Some of my games only want to run on the laptop monitor and I end up having to open the lid to get the game to display on the external monitor. When I do this, the game...
  3. How to set my external monitor as the main monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set my external monitor as the main monitor: I have an MSI gaming laptop connected to an external 1440p monitor. The laptop has a 1080p monitor. Some of my games only want to run on the laptop monitor and I end up having to open the lid to get the game to display on the external monitor. When I do this, the game...
  4. How to set my external monitor as the main monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  6. Set external monitor as main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set external monitor as main: Hello. Every time I open the laptop, I have to manually set the external monitor to be the main one, not wanting to use the laptop one anymore. How can I make Windows remember this setting every time I start it? This is Windows 10 Pro with up-to-date updates....
  7. Drive space problems on external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drive space problems on external HDD: Hey I was wondering if anybody here knows why when I try to copy a large 107GB file to a NTFS external hard drive, it immediately occupies that size and then explorer starts copying it, obviously leaving me with a couple of GB and then it gives an error saying that there...
  8. is there an easy way to use external drive and not the main HDD on pc?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is there an easy way to use external drive and not the main HDD on pc?: on my external drive it has around 899GB of memory. while the main drive has about 433GB. memory loss is always on my mind..even on this semi new pc. that is why i try and utilize a lot of programs that work off on the flash drive. [img] 70151
  9. How to initialize external HDD??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to initialize external HDD??: I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before all this happened I had...
  10. One drive on external hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    One drive on external hdd: My new computer has a tiny internal hdd so I want to put my one drive on my external hdd. How do I do that? By the way I just ordered the new computer so I do not have it yet. 89186