Windows 10: How to set Internet options without UI ?

Discus and support How to set Internet options without UI ? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello there ! I try to configure Internet options (inetcpl.cpl) for my computer and I would like to do it with command lines, PS scripts or registry... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Govi59, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Govi59 Win User

How to set Internet options without UI ?

Hello there !
    I try to configure Internet options (inetcpl.cpl) for my computer and I would like to do it with command lines, PS scripts or registry tweak... Actually, without any user interaction, only by scripting !

Here is what I know :
    - it is possible to remove or block some tabs of the Internet options by writting in HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel (or HKLM for all users) [link] [link]
    - it is possible to open a specific tab of Internet options by running RunDll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL InetCpl.cpl [link]
    - it is also possible to clear navigation data by running RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess [link]

Is there a way to set values, to check boxes, to uncheck boxes by running RunDll32.exe or by changing registry ? I don't know anything about DLLs and entrypoints.. So your help would be very useful ! Or maybe with a VBscript ?

Here is what I would like to configure in the "General" tab :
    - change the home page (picture 1)
    - check "Delete history when exiting the browser" (picture 1)
    Then, in "settings" :
    - change the frequency and the value of Internet Temporary cache (picture 2)
    - change the duration of history saves (picture 3)

Screenshots (french) :
    Picture 1 :

How to set Internet options without UI ? [​IMG]

Picture 2 :

Picture 3 :

Thank you very much ! *Smile

Govi

:)

Govi59, Jan 15, 2017

2. Open links

Hi ¡Firedog,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

The option “Always in Internet Explorer on the desktop” says that all links will be opened in the desktop version of Internet Explorer.

The default setting is “Let Internet Explorer decide”, how it opens links. So in this case sometimes IE may open with the Modern UI and sometimes on the desktop, depending on the app or program that is accessing it.

If you want to set Internet Explorer as the default browser and want all your links to open always in Internet Explorer, then select the “Always in Internet Explorer” option.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 15, 2017
  3. Internet Explorer in Windows 10: Choose how you open links.

Hello Jim,

If you want to set Internet Explorer as the default browser and want all your links to open always in Internet Explorer with the Metro UI, select the
    Always in Internet Explorer option. It's best to use this option if you normally browse the internet and open link using Internet Explorer.

The Let Internet Explorer option, decides how it opens links. So in this case, sometimes Internet Explorer may open with the Metro UI and sometimes on the desktop, depending on the app or program that is accessing it.

While the Always in Internet Explorer on the Desktop option allows you to launch links in the desktop environment.

The Open Internet Explorer tiles on the Desktop option automatically launch Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop.

You may also check the helpful links below regarding Choose how you open links feature in Internet Explorer:

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jan 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, I doubt anyone is going to write you a script, but I will give you just one possible hint if you want to explore this further yourself.

Basic question- how do you find out what changes in the registry? (if that's where these changes are made).

Get yourself a copy of a program called Regshot (free) - it lets you create a snapshot before and after and compare them. Thus you may be able to work out what changes. However, if the content of the key is extensive or obscure, even with this it can be very hard to do that.

Another angle: Whilst Autohotkey (free scripting tool) allows manipulation of Windows dialogues such as you describe, success with that also depends on being able to adequately identify the elements of the dialogue with which you wish to interact.

dalchina, Jan 16, 2017
  5. Govi59 Win User
    Hello Dalchina,
    thank you for your answer. Indeed, I managed to do some stuff with RegShot, which is a very nice tool. Thank you !
    Here is what I acheived, maybe it can help people :

Check the "Clear browsing history on exit" box :
    --> set 1 to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit
    Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Privacy" /v "ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f[/quote]
    Temporary Internet files (cache) : choose which frequency to check latest version
    --> This is controlled by the key : HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\SyncMode5
    Actually, setting the key in the registry doesn't change the checkbox, but I guess it changes anyway.
    - Each visit of the web page : Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v "SyncMode5" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000003 /f[/quote] - Each launch of IE : Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v "SyncMode5" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002 /f[/quote] - Automatic : Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v "SyncMode5" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000004 /f[/quote] - Never : Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v "SyncMode5" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f[/quote] Maybe the value 1 stands for something..? Mystery.

Space to use on the disk for cache :
    When I change the value, these 2 keys change :
    - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\ContentLimit
    - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content\CacheLimit
    The first is exactly the number we choose in the UI (in hexadecimal notation)
    I don't know what the second key does, but it changes and the value is coherent (when I change twice, the value is the same).
    Here is the code when we set to 8 Mo :
    Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache" /v "ContentLimit" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000008 /freg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content" /v "CacheLimit" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00002000 /f[/quote] Again, setting these keys in the registry database doesn't change the value displayed in the UI, but I guess it changes anyway.

History : days to keep the visited webpages
    Here it is very simple, and setting the key changes the displayed value.
    The key : HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Url History\DaysToKeep
    To set 0 :
    Code: reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Url History" /v DaysToKeep /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f[/quote]
    Start page :
    This is the point I didn't suceed. I guess this key does something :
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page
    but changing it doesn't directly change the startpage : it displays a message at IE launch : "An unknown program tries to set your start page to Google. [change] [don't change]"

Maybe there are other things to see in HKLM or in other keys (RegShot shows that several keys are affected, but it is difficult to make a logical link).

Hope it can help ! *Wink

Govi59, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set Internet options without UI ? - Similar Threads - set Internet options

2. Bluetooth option missing in internet settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth option missing in internet settings: Doesn't Windows 10 have Bluetooth capabilities on a Laptop Computer? I do not show one to turn on or off. I do have the Airplane mode or Hot Spot that I can turn on or off. I honestly thought I had an option to use turn on or off Bluetooth, but I cannot find it now! ???...
  3. Bluetooth option missing in internet settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth option missing in internet settings: Doesn't Windows 10 have Bluetooth capabilities on a Laptop Computer? I do not show one to turn on or off. I do have the Airplane mode or Hot Spot that I can turn on or off. I honestly thought I had an option to use turn on or off Bluetooth, but I cannot find it now! ???...
  4. Bluetooth option missing in internet settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Weird Setting UI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Setting UI: [ATTACH] Hi, I just noticed this a while ago. I've become so busy in the past few months that I barely notice my setting UI. Is this really the default one? Or is this part of an update? How to comeback to the one that has an image on it on the side? Is this something...
  6. Settings UI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings UI: The Settings UI is nothing less than horrendous.I'm looking at at entry in Apps called "WinGet Source" by Microsoft.1 It has nothing saying what it is.2 It has no link to info about what it is.3 It does not allow select / copy.4 When I click Advanced Options then to back,...
  7. No WiFi option in Network & Internet settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No WiFi option in Network & Internet settings: I was having trouble with my WiFi so I saw this magical button called "Network Reset" and I pushed it, because I'm not smart. And it restarted my computer, and I logged back in and saw on my hotbar where WiFi shows up it said "Not connected, no connections available" and I...
  8. The new SETTINGS UI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new SETTINGS UI: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Default_Cube4646 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jc6py0/the_new_settings_ui/
  9. Network & Internet Settings - No Connection Options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network & Internet Settings - No Connection Options: Hi, earlier today my Internet connection suddenly stopped working on my Windows 10 PC. Clicking on the Internet connection button in the bottom right brings up only "Network & Internet settings. Change settings, such as making a connection metred." There is no WiFi or...
  10. ETHERNET OPTION IS NOT THERE IN NETWORK AND INTERNET SETTINGS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ETHERNET OPTION IS NOT THERE IN NETWORK AND INTERNET SETTINGS: Mostly I use wifi for internet but recently I want to use LAN wired connection for internet but it is not working. then i recoginze there was no ethernet option in network and internet settings, i updated drivers of realtek ethernet which was suggested by support assistant of...