Windows 10: How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10

Discus and support How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]When you have Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) enabled, you can install Linux distribution apps […] This article How to set Linux... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 13, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 13, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

WSL2 will be generally available in Windows 10 version 2004

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...-version-2004/

Brink, Nov 13, 2020
  3. WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10 [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

mesajflaviu, Nov 13, 2020
  4. cormanaz Win User

How to configure Windows 10 WSL1 that's already installed

I need to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Just for fun I typed bash in a command window, and much to my surprise it started up. It was surprising because I never installed it (or at least don't remember doing so), and docs like the install guide from Microsoft imply that you have to.

My W10 version (18362.1082) is lower than necessary to run WSL2, so it must be WSL1 (unless it could be something else). Other than that, since I don't remember installing it, I have no idea what flavor or version of Linux is installed. I tried the normal linux command for this purpose, cat /etc/os-release , which replies there is no such file.

The docs say that the linux admin credentials are independent of the W10 credentials. So I also ran whoami to see if a user had been established and it gave me the same name as for my W10 installation. When I tried to use a sudo command to see if it was the same password too, it said bash: sudo: command not found. So something is amiss.

How can I determine what is going on here? How can I tell if this unix instance is WSL1, and if so whether it is fully set up and what flavor/version of Linux it's running? Also what the admin password is? Or do I still need to take all the steps in the install guide linked above?

Update 1

I found here that I should be able to launch wsl by entering `wsl` on a command line. When I do so it says wsl is not recognized as a command, so I suppose this means wsl1 is not installed. There is some linux installed though, so the question now is whether it's safe to install wsl1 over that or if I need to uninstall the existing first (and if so how to do that).

cormanaz, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

1. How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - set Linux Distribution

2. Can't change WSL1 to WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change WSL1 to WSL2: These past couple of days I've bene trying to install Kali Linux on Windows 10 using WSL. However, whatever I do I just get the same error: Error: 0x80041002.I've done some research on what to do and here's the full list of what I've done so far:Clearing Lxss registry key....
  3. Can't change WSL1 to WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change WSL1 to WSL2: These past couple of days I've bene trying to install Kali Linux on Windows 10 using WSL. However, whatever I do I just get the same error: Error: 0x80041002.I've done some research on what to do and here's the full list of what I've done so far:Clearing Lxss registry key....
  4. Can't change WSL1 to WSL2

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.: I uninstalled and reinstalled base Ubuntu, and Debian from my Windows Terminal.When they were reinstalled, their names and respective icons simply do not appear in the settings menu.The programs are installed on the machine, but I don't know how to put them back in the menu...
  6. Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.: I uninstalled and reinstalled base Ubuntu, and Debian from my Windows Terminal.When they were reinstalled, their names and respective icons simply do not appear in the settings menu.The programs are installed on the machine, but I don't know how to put them back in the menu...
  7. WSL2 linux xrdp

WSL2 linux xrdp: I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Kali Linux both installed withWSL2 on my machine. I have installed xrdp on bothVMs and it works separately. But whenever I try to access the other while one is connected throughRDP I get an error on RDP like the following: - [ATTACH] I have...
  8. confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    confusion after WSL1 to WSL2 upgrade: I ran through the Msft docs for updating from WSL1 to WSL2, including updating the WSL2 linux kernel. No problems, worked just like the guide. Then I ran into this strangeness. If I open Powershell and type bash, and type wsl.exe -l -v, it says Ubuntu, Running 2. If I...
  9. Weird SSH issue with WSL2 and WSL1

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird SSH issue with WSL2 and WSL1: Hello all, So this is something that has been bugging me for a while now. I have this situation where I connect using SSH: My_Computer --SSH-> ServerA --SSH-> ServerB The connection to ServerA is done with public key auth, and the connection from ServerA to ServerB is...
  10. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2): Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)'' is expected to launch? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-2-wsl2/c6045de9-7177-4290-89bb-afe853adaa94