Windows 10: How to set password for router

Discus and support How to set password for router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Split from this thread. My router is a 10+ year old Netgear router. It used to have a password but is now open. My laptop is a Surface Pro.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lacarri, Dec 25, 2018.

1. lacarri Win User

How to set password for router

Split from this thread.​

My router is a 10+ year old Netgear router. It used to have a password but is now open. My laptop is a Surface Pro.

:)

lacarri, Dec 25, 2018
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Dec 25, 2018
  3. Linksys router losing settings

OK so I've got a Linksys WRT160N V3 router running DD-WRT (build 13309M). I sometimes have to reset the router and modem, since internet access is very unreliable due to some weak signals and such. Everytime I reset the modem, I loose all of my settings. The SSID gets changed back to "dd-wrt", the network becomes unsecured, and any other settings are reset.

I had to reset them yesterday, and like always my settings were lost. 30 minutes ago I connect to the router with hopes of logging in and changing the SSID, security settings, etc. I cannot log in. I've tried every user name and password combination I can think of with no success.

My questions:
    • How can I keep from losing my settings when I reset the router?
    • How can I log in to the router to change my settings?

Soylent Joe, Dec 25, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Backing up router settings?

The defaults for your router are

Username: Admin
    Password: (Leave Blank)

If that doesn't work, and you have set a password and no one knows it, then you will have to reset the router and will loose all settings. There is no way to back up the settings, or even view them, without knowing the username and password of the router.

newtekie1, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set password for router - Similar Threads - set password router

2. changing router password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing router password: Hi guys,Is there a foolproof way to change my router password. I have my Network Name, IP address and Password.I'm using Windows 11.Your help would be much appreciated. Kind regardsDenis...
  3. changing router password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing router password: Hi guys,Is there a foolproof way to change my router password. I have my Network Name, IP address and Password.I'm using Windows 11.Your help would be much appreciated. Kind regardsDenis...
  4. How to change router name and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change router name and password: Hi! Someone tried to get into my computer's Bluetooth this morning and I'm really creeped out. The name of the device is "View 1". It's made me think there might be cameras here in my new apartment. I'd like to change my router information as it's set to default from...
  5. How to set router for 5ghz

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set router for 5ghz: Hello. Just got a new Asus router rt-ax88u which is wifi 6. Son had a new pc for Christmas which is for gaming mostly, which also uses wifi 6. I read somewhere that it's an idea to set the 5ghz channel purely for the gaming pc. But am not sure of the best way to do this on...
  6. how to repair a wrong router password

how to repair a wrong router password: How to repair a wrong entered password on the Wi-Fi router? Now I cannot connect to that router and do not know how to reset it with the correct one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-a-wrong-router-password/09ef4c89-3294-42a6-a75f-65ed9ce95833
  7. settings for connecting router

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings for connecting router: each time trying to connect router through cable modem i lose internet, new router but internet does not get through it . also recently upgraded to win 10,is there some setting to change? have tried all trouble shoot, please anyone, have been battleing this for long time,...
  8. how to get password of router im using

how to get password of router im using: how do I get the password of the router im using. cant remember it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-password-of-router-im-using/a9229417-55d1-42a0-b736-798a3434fa56
  9. How to Find Your Router Login and Password

How to Find Your Router Login and Password: Every so often one needs to log into their router to rename it or maybe even make some tweaks to the settings. It's easy enough to with little risk even for novice users. If this is your first time logging into your router, you'll need the default login and password then...
  10. Change router password.

Change router password.: I want to change my password on my internet connection. I can access the router in a web browser. How do I change it on a windows 10 PC? 117211

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to set up password on router

2. how to set password for router