Windows 10: How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem

Discus and support How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello much more experienced users.... Rather basic and I'm confused and as a consequence stuck. Most certainly a pilot error issue. Situation is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RobertBrooksWest, Mar 13, 2021.

1. How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem

Hello much more experienced users....

Rather basic and I'm confused and as a consequence stuck. Most certainly a pilot error issue. Situation is that I never set a PIN for my MS/ OneDrive account which is associated with my gmail address. I have multiple MS Accounts, several business related and other organizations using Teams or BI. So part of my confusion potentially is this plethora of MS accounts. My laptop is Win10 and that account finally is My Name - Local Account - Administrator. It has a PIN. My Local Account is the one and only with a PIN.

So I'm stuck if I go to the Microsoft Store and try to download software. Eventually after 2 factor authentication it finally asks Making Sure it's you and asks for a PIN. Was giving it my Local Account PIN which fails. Spent several hours this AM trying to use suggestions under "Windows 10 store sign-in asking for a non-existent PIN" but to no avail. So my current hunch is perhaps the Store needs my gmail associated account - yup, that is the account when I'm logged into Store. Duh. Which I've never set. So over to that account.

Then at the MS Account that is the gmail one.... Account.live.com etc. "Use Windows Hello to sign in to your account" . This appears to be where I could set a PIN for this account. Possible progress, "Setting up your new sign-in method", sounds promising, NEXT, on no, the popup of doom "Making Sure it's you" With the PIN . So once again I'm stuck....

Not apparent to me how to set, reset, recover the "lost" PIN which I never set.

Was trying today to pay a developer for a program. I paid via PayPal, but MS Store doesn't know it - was stuck at a MS page dead end after paying $10 on PP. When I go back to the download it still says BUY. Not a big deal, the developer got paid I hope. My problem today has a workaround: Developer offers a free download which I'll try next - the Store was the option to donate.

I know in a few months HP, Brother etc is going to point me to the MS Store to download a package for my printer or ? and I'll be stuck. So with that it mind, what am I doing wrong?

Almost funny how silly this is.

I didn't see Store on the Category list so posting this under Apps on Windows 10 etc. Bet it gets moved to where it belongs. Thanks.

thanks in advance,

Bob

:)

RobertBrooksWest, Mar 13, 2021

2. How to Reset & Recover Microsoft Account

This Forum article walks you through the account password reset, account recovery process, and offers tips and tricks to help get you into your account as quickly as possible.

A Microsoft
    account (formerly knowns as Windows Live ID) is what you use to sign in to
    Microsoft services such as outlook.com (or Hotmail), Office, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, Windows, and more. It makes your experiences on devices and services more personal and relevant
    to you.

Watch the Instructional Video on the step by step password reset & recovery

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/videoplayer/embed/RE1ZRwx

How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem 04bdf669-13b1-4c11-8171-31ac39db2c5c.jpg

Password Reset

If you forgot the password you use to sign in to services like Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive, and Xbox Live you might need to reset it. First, check to make sure that Caps Lock isn't on, because passwords are case-sensitive. If you're
    sure you're using the right password but still can't sign in, you may need to reset your Microsoft Account password

To reset your password:

1. Go to the Reset your password page -
      Reset your password
    2. The short video provides step by step guide on how to reset your Microsoft Account Password
    3. To learn more on how you can protect your Microsoft Account, visit
      How to help keep your Microsoft account safe and secure

Account Recovery

If resetting your Microsoft Account password does not work, you may still recover your account by answering the Recovery Form.
    The account recovery form is meant to be the last option to get you back into your account. the recovery form gives you a chance to prove that you own your account.

Fill out Recovery Form

1. Go to Recover your account
    2. Enter a working email address that we can use to contact you about your account recovery
    3. The short video provides step by step guide on how to recover your Microsoft Account through ACSR
    4. To lean more on Recovering Microsoft Account, please visit
      https://aka.ms/MSArecovery

Note:

The account recovery form works by asking questions about your account that only you could answer. Then, we review your answers and respond within 24 hours with either instructions to get back in to your account or a denial. Keep
    these tips in mind to help you succeed:

• Use a computer we’ll recognize. If possible, fill out the form on a computer that you’ve used to sign in to your account before.
    • Answer as many questions as possible. Not all the questions will apply to you, and that's ok. Don't worry if you don't have an answer. But it's better to guess and be close than to leave a question blank.
    • Give us a working email to contact you. We won't use this email address for spam, only to give you the results of your recovery request. You can even use a friend's account, or create a free temporary email.
    • If you have two-step verification turned on for your account, the recovery form won’t work. When you turn on two-step verification, we promise not to let anyone sign in without two forms of identification, no matter how much information
      they know about your account. Visit this page to learn more about two step verification

PaulSey..., Mar 13, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Recover forgotten Microsoft account?

Hi Robert,

Changing the password is one you can do to make sure your account is secure. To resolve your concern, we suggest the you follow the steps in this article:

How to reset your Microsoft account password
    or you may preform it by clicking on this
    link. It will let you reset your password and recover your Microsoft account.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 13, 2021
  4. sam02 Win User

How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem

App store and Microsoft account

Thank you for the advice

I see what you mean about the password but i think its a backward step to compromise my Microsoft password to to use the app store

sam02, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem

1. How to set/reset/recover a MS Account PIN used at Microsoft Store MAKING SURE IT'S YOU problem - Similar Threads - set reset recover

2. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my old...
  3. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my old...
  4. Problem with pin and cannot recover or reset

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Problem with pin and cannot recover or reset: Hello.I performed a clean boot and then I faced "something happened and your pin isn't available" problem.I tried to get to Windows RE, but it's asking me some credentials, and the only account I can use is my microsoft one which I didn't remember the password I changed it...
  5. Problem with pin and cannot recover or reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with pin and cannot recover or reset: Hello.I performed a clean boot and then I faced "something happened and your pin isn't available" problem.I tried to get to Windows RE, but it's asking me some credentials, and the only account I can use is my microsoft one which I didn't remember the password I changed it...
  6. Problem with pin and cannot recover or reset

7. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my...
  8. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my...
  9. Microsoft Mahjong is currently not available in your account. Make sure you are signed in...

Microsoft Mahjong is currently not available in your account. Make sure you are signed in...: I cannot log in and keep receiving this code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-mahjong-is-currently-not-available-in/da90e958-beec-49ee-bb1b-d9e969d3fbc5
  10. Using microsoft account to reset pin on device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using microsoft account to reset pin on device: Can I use my microsoft account on one device to change the settings on a different device? I bought and set up an Acer laptop yesterday. Bought windows and set it up. Today my laptop says: 'Your PIN is no longer available due to a change on the security settings on this...