Windows 10: How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

Discus and support How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a question. It's normal usage but i am still not able to find the right way to do that. I want some configuration like : - If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nghia NT, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Nghia NT Win User

How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

Hello all,

I have a question. It's normal usage but i am still not able to find the right way to do that.

I want some configuration like :

- If external display is connected either display port or HDMI, when lid is closed -> DONT go to sleep mode

- If no external display connected, when lid is closed -> GO to sleep mode.

Currently, it looks the setting only depends on POWER setting which I dont want.

Has anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks,

Nghia Nguyen

:)

Nghia NT, Mar 4, 2021
  2. Miao Hua Win User

Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

I think what we want here is:

With external display - Close the lid WON'T put the laptop into sleep mode.

Without external display - Close the lid WILL put the laptop into sleep mode.

So you can't just set the lid option to "Do Nothing" or something else because there are two different scenarios here.

I noticed that this question was posted in 2015 and it's 2017 now. I can't see anything in the recent updates. What I'll suggest here is go and buy a mac.

Miao Hua, Mar 4, 2021
  3. How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external monitor, and stay on when I close the lid when connected to an External Monitor.

When I sit down at my desk, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. I close the lid sometimes to use an external Mouse and Keyboard while i stow my laptop under my monitor. However, if my external monitor wasn't connected, Id like the laptop to fall
    asleep. This feature was available on my Chromebook, and I've heard it was available on older versions of windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Anyway I can activate this feature on Windows 10?

TL;DR

Is this possible on Windows 10?

With external display connected - Closing the lid WON'T put the laptop into sleep mode.

Without external display connected - Closing the lid WILL put the laptop into sleep mode.

JamaalBurah, Mar 4, 2021
  4. How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

This is an old good feature in the Linux world.

IljaPolivanovas, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

1. How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays? - Similar Threads - set sleep mode

2. Youtube plays spontaneous when lid closed/in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Youtube plays spontaneous when lid closed/in sleep mode: There was another posting regarding this issue in June2022. I noticed the same issue on two of my laptops running Win11. How to reproduce:1. Run YouTube on Win11 laptop I have an HP Envy xx360 Intel and a Lenovo Slim 7 AMD laptop2. Stop YouTube but do not minimize the browser...
  3. Youtube plays spontaneous when lid closed/in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Youtube plays spontaneous when lid closed/in sleep mode: There was another posting regarding this issue in June2022. I noticed the same issue on two of my laptops running Win11. How to reproduce:1. Run YouTube on Win11 laptop I have an HP Envy xx360 Intel and a Lenovo Slim 7 AMD laptop2. Stop YouTube but do not minimize the browser...
  4. Laptop immediately wakes from sleep when connected to external monitor, or if lid is not closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop immediately wakes from sleep when connected to external monitor, or if lid is not closed: I have an Asus ZenBook UX434, and I also use an external monitor, connected through HDMI. With a monitor connected, when I close the laptop lid, it sleeps for a few seconds, and then turns back on and shows the lock screen on my external monitor. If I disconnect the...
  5. Sleep when I close the lid and its plugged in but not connected to external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep when I close the lid and its plugged in but not connected to external monitor: [ATTACH] I want the laptop to sleep when plugged in and I close the lid .. but not when there is an external monitor attached. Is there any way to achieve that? Right now I do not see the external monitor feature in the power settings....
  6. How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...: When I sit down at my desk, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. I close the lid sometimes to use an external Mouse and Keyboard while i stow my laptop under my monitor. However, if my external monitor wasn't connected, Id like the laptop to fall asleep. This feature...
  7. Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected

Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected: Hello everyone, I have recently switched from MacOS to Windows 10, and am now experiencing a usability problem. Often I use my laptop as a secondary device while at work, keeping the lid closed and using an external monitor + Wireless Keyboard/Mouse. In energy options,...
  8. Setting the action when lid is closed

Setting the action when lid is closed: Is it possible to set this action to shut down, sleep or hibernate the computer? What is the effect on battery life of sleep or hibernate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-the-action-when-lid-is-closed/7841bd04-51d2-4421-93bc-0bb887938c54
  9. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  10. Display goes into sleep mode when I close the lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display goes into sleep mode when I close the lid: My laptop goes into sleep mode when I close the lid, how can I get it to stay open on the monitor? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display/82282cbb-1483-4ac8-ad25-93d5be7befbd